News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on November 14, 2017, 01:55:28 AM
YES! FINALLY! I have been waiting so long for a mass market Estemmenosuchus (besides kenner), and in 1:20 no less! Collecta once again reaffirms itself as the company willing to make risks and bring us permian enthusiasts some love!

Since a new Estemmenosuchus figure was being requested so much, I don't think CollectA making one is taking a risk.

suspsy

Was it really being requested that much? This is just a small message board, after all. I don't recall hearing about large numbers of people petitioning CollectA for an Estemmenosuchus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MLMjp

Quote from: suspsy on November 14, 2017, 01:03:13 PM
Was it really being requested that much? This is just a small message board, after all. I don't recall hearing about large numbers of people petitioning CollectA for an Estemmenosuchus.

Then just go to the 20XX hopes and dreams threads, I think you will find plenty of people begging for Stemmenosuchus. Maybe not to CollectA, but every company in general.

suspsy

True, but that still doesn't change the fact that we're a relatively small message board whose members comprise a small fraction of CollectA's audience. I'm not saying that our voices have no influence at all, but I think that any company that makes a prehistoric figure that isn't a dinosaur or a pterosaur from the Jurassic or the Cretaceous is taking a risk.

Now that we know that Safari is releasing a Dimetrodon next year, I hope that we don't get one from CollectA as well. Save it for 2019 or beyond. And I too would enjoy seeing an Edaphosaurus.

Three more days till the next reveal!

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on November 14, 2017, 02:55:07 PM
True, but that still doesn't change the fact that we're a relatively small message board whose members comprise a small fraction of CollectA's audience.

While we are definitely a small fraction of CollectA's audience, we are quite a vocal minority especially when compared to CollectA's largest audience.

Sim

Quote from: MLMjp on November 14, 2017, 01:24:59 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 14, 2017, 01:03:13 PM

Then just go to the 20XX hopes and dreams threads, I think you will find plenty of people begging for Stemmenosuchus. Maybe not to CollectA, but every company in general.

In addition to what MLMjp said, I seem to remember requests for a new Estemmenosuchus being made in other threads as well.  If you do a search for Estemmenosuchus in the Safari new for 2018 thread for example, there's a lot of posts asking for it to be made, from before CollectA revealed theirs.  While I imagine CollectA had already made theirs at that point, I think the amount of requests in the Safari 2018 thread reflects how desired Estemmenosuchus has been previously.  From what I can remember, Estemmenosuchus has been among the most, but maybe even the most, requested prehistoric animal on this forum for quite some time.  I remember reading that CollectA sometimes checks this forum, which I think can be a helpful thing for companies to do.  I also think the prehistoric animal figures we on this forum would like to have, can correspond well with what those not on this forum would like or enjoy having.  Putting all these things together makes me think producing an Estemmenosuchus isn't taking a risk.  But it's fine to disagree, it's just different opinions in the end.

Bokisaurus

Having work in retail for along time, any company that release an obscure species ( including extant) is taking a risk. Truth is, some of these obscure or unexciting species is only popular with select, small ( but growing) segment of the market. So, for any of the major brands to choose an animal that is virtually unknown outside the collector world would be a big risk.
CollectA has been good at releasing obscure species, but theses are mostly those of species that are easily indefinable or have relatives that are popular in the mass market. In these mix, there are some true gems that are expected to be slow sellers, but the hope is that some of the more easily identifiable obscure species will offset the sluggish sales.
That's why ceratopsians, big carnivores, and sauropods are so popular regardless if they are obscure species or not. They re the Elephants, big cats, and rhinos of the prehistoric world :))
That is also why I'm surprised by the high number of prehistoric mammals fro Safari this year.
Anyway, I can't wait for the next batch of figures ;)

Shonisaurus

What Bokisaurus says is true, the main livelihood of companies that make dinosaurs and prehistoric toy animals are obviously children, regardless of whether they are exquisitely well made and paleoartistically correct like the estemmenosuchus.

I totally agree is a very big risk on the part of the companies and a commendable attitude on the part of toy companies such as Safari, Collecta and even Papo (we must take into account that the therizinosaurus among children and the vast majority of adults ) is unknown or Schleich (with the dinogorgon or the tawa to give two examples). I hope it is a success in sales but sincerely the figures of prehistoric animals that make companies like Collecta are unique to date in the toy market.

I wish all those companies that all their expectations are met because it would mean a clear benefit for the interests of all forum members.

In recent years are becoming increasingly rare and avant-garde prehistoric figures in general and whatever happens on my part I am eternally grateful to these companies and others that I do not mention because it would be too long message.

Keep in mind that the mold where these figures are made costs a fortune and to amortize those expenses, more than successful sales are needed. You have to recognize all the companies that focus on making toy dinosaurs are a complete brave.

Sim

You both make good points, Bokisaurus and Shonisaurus.  Another thing the opinion I expressed was based on is something I noticed in David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic line: If a certain amount of people expressed wanting something done for the line which was possible (e.g. a particular feature or colour scheme), David would want to do it, and would do it.  Basically, I got the impression that when a high number of people would want something for a figure, the number of people who would want that thing is actually higher.  Consequently doing what was requested would very likely be worthwhile.  I've also noticed that even when only a few people request something for a figure, it can turn out to be very popular and worthwhile, and again the number of people who would want it is actually higher.  It just seemed to me that a high number of people requesting something for a figure tends to suggest the requested animal/feature will sell well.

Anyway, again Bokisaurus and Shonisaurus, I think you've both made some good points and I appreciate you posting them.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 10, 2017, 01:25:07 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 06, 2017, 06:56:00 PM
For me, prehistoric mammals and Paleozoic creatures are welcome. I love prehistoric life in general, although the real kings of prehistory are dinosaurs.  :)

I would drop cash in a heartbeat if either Collecta or Safari made a Permian toob. Is it just me, or was Permian paraphernalia rather more common back in the 60's? Marx/Invicta had a bunch of Permian models, didn't they?

Invicta only had the Dimetrodon, but Marx also had a Sphenacodon, a Cynognathus (that I think MPC reissued as a Seymouria), and a Moschops. Those species have barely been touched since--the last Cynognathus was either Panini or Starlux, and the last Moschops was Gimiki's Journey. So at least Marx made a good effort, and for that matter so did Starlux. Bullyland did briefly, but nobody's doing it now!

All of which is to say that yes, a Permian tube is one of the best ideas out there. I actually hope the Favorite Prehistoric Life series gives us a Permian set like the Burgess Shale set from last year.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Irritation

I would find it amazing if there were figures of Lystrosaurus, Diictodon, and Therocephalians.

suspsy

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 14, 2017, 07:14:39 PM
Having work in retail for along time, any company that release an obscure species ( including extant) is taking a risk. Truth is, some of these obscure or unexciting species is only popular with select, small ( but growing) segment of the market. So, for any of the major brands to choose an animal that is virtually unknown outside the collector world would be a big risk.
CollectA has been good at releasing obscure species, but theses are mostly those of species that are easily indefinable or have relatives that are popular in the mass market. In these mix, there are some true gems that are expected to be slow sellers, but the hope is that some of the more easily identifiable obscure species will offset the sluggish sales.
That's why ceratopsians, big carnivores, and sauropods are so popular regardless if they are obscure species or not. They re the Elephants, big cats, and rhinos of the prehistoric world :))
That is also why I'm surprised by the high number of prehistoric mammals fro Safari this year.
Anyway, I can't wait for the next batch of figures ;)

Very well put indeed!

Bucklander

I think the factor of "cool" is often overlooked. Creatures like Estemmenosuchus and Uintatherium just look so amazingly cool, people don't have to know about them before hand in order for them to buy them. They have so many bizarre features, people are like "What! Was this a real creature? Gotta get my son/daughter/self one of these. They're like, as weird as anything out of Starwars, but real!"

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Bucklander on November 15, 2017, 02:44:58 PM
I think the factor of "cool" is often overlooked. Creatures like Estemmenosuchus and Uintatherium just look so amazingly cool, people don't have to know about them before hand in order for them to buy them. They have so many bizarre features, people are like "What! Was this a real creature? Gotta get my son/daughter/self one of these. They're like, as weird as anything out of Starwars, but real!"

I agree with this, I was showing my partner  the new releases of each brand and Stemmenosuchus caught his eye immediately, asking first if it was real and then when it lived, curiously he knew right away it wasn't a dinosaur. Also of the safari mammals he loved Daeodon and Uinthatherium. Strange features and adornment can make an unknown species attractive in toy form.

Ravonium

Quote from: Bucklander on November 15, 2017, 02:44:58 PM

I agree with this statement. The points Bokisaurus made about "obscure animals being a risky decision in retail" only apply to figures like the CollectA Mantellisaurus, which, even if the genus was somewhat popular, would be generally uninteresting to most buyers. The proportion of buyers who would not buy something that is interesting but obscure based mainly on the fact that it's obscure is very low. Young children buy these obscure but interesting figures for 2 reasons, which are that they find them interesting and that they simply don't know or care that it's not a popular dinosaur. Collectors who aren't well informed on palaeontology will buy them simply because they look interesting. And this interesting thing can be something as simple as a weird name or a unusual crest, frill or spike arrangement. It is also likely these models will inspire both demographics to learn about the genus that the model is based on.

Sim

You all make good points, Bucklander, Jose_S.M. and Ravonium.

Quote from: Ravonium on November 15, 2017, 03:50:00 PM
When Bokisaurus is talking about "obscure animals being a risky decision in retail", he's mainly talking about obscure species with no unusual features (e.g. Mantellisaurus), not Estemmenosuchus or Uintatherium.

I don't think so, I don't see anything that suggests that.

Quote from: suspsy on November 14, 2017, 02:55:07 PM
but I think that any company that makes a prehistoric figure that isn't a dinosaur or a pterosaur from the Jurassic or the Cretaceous is taking a risk.

Even if they make a woolly mammoth, Smilodon or Dimetrodon?

Ravonium

Quote from: Sim on November 15, 2017, 04:30:04 PM
You all make good points, Bucklander, Jose_S.M. and Ravonium.

Quote from: Ravonium on November 15, 2017, 03:50:00 PM
When Bokisaurus is talking about "obscure animals being a risky decision in retail", he's mainly talking about obscure species with no unusual features (e.g. Mantellisaurus), not Estemmenosuchus or Uintatherium.

I don't think so, I don't see anything that suggests that.

I meant that he had figures with similar traits to the CollectA Mantellisaurus (no interesting features other than the figure being obscure) in mind when talking about "obscure figures being a risky decision.".

I'll admit, I should have written that section of my post in a better way.

Sim

I understood that.  What I mean is that Bokisaurus didn't say that obscure species with unusual features aren't a risk for companies to make.  This discussion has focused on whether a company is taking a risk by making an Estemmenosuchus figure.  In the context of this discussion, I got the impression Bokisaurus was saying a company is taking a risk by making an Estemmenosuchus, and "a big risk" in fact.  Currently, my opinion on this topic contains a mix of what has been said so far by a number of people, including myself.

Ravonium

Quote from: Sim on November 15, 2017, 05:37:02 PM
What I mean is that Bokisaurus didn't say that obscure species with unusual features aren't a risk for companies to make.  This discussion has focused on whether a company is taking a risk by making an Estemmenosuchus figure.  In the context of this discussion, I got the impression Bokisaurus was saying a company is taking a risk by making an Estemmenosuchus, and "a big risk" in fact.

I now get that he didn't say that. I should have looked into this discussion a bit more before writing my original post.

I've changed the original post so that it doesn't hint at me thinking that Bokisaurus saying that obscure animals with unusual features aren't a risk to make. It instead now says that the points Bokisaurus made don't apply to animals like Estemmenosuchus and instead to animals like the aforementioned Mantellisaurus.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 14, 2017, 11:56:18 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 10, 2017, 01:25:07 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 06, 2017, 06:56:00 PM
For me, prehistoric mammals and Paleozoic creatures are welcome. I love prehistoric life in general, although the real kings of prehistory are dinosaurs.  :)

I would drop cash in a heartbeat if either Collecta or Safari made a Permian toob. Is it just me, or was Permian paraphernalia rather more common back in the 60's? Marx/Invicta had a bunch of Permian models, didn't they?

Invicta only had the Dimetrodon, but Marx also had a Sphenacodon, a Cynognathus (that I think MPC reissued as a Seymouria), and a Moschops. Those species have barely been touched since--the last Cynognathus was either Panini or Starlux, and the last Moschops was Gimiki's Journey. So at least Marx made a good effort, and for that matter so did Starlux. Bullyland did briefly, but nobody's doing it now!

All of which is to say that yes, a Permian tube is one of the best ideas out there. I actually hope the Favorite Prehistoric Life series gives us a Permian set like the Burgess Shale set from last year.

Didn't Marx or Invicta also have an Edaphosaurus?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: