News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Ceratosaurus: I like it, but I have to say, this time the war-painted face kinda ruins it (And I was one of the people that thought that it was not a big deal). And also there also also plenty of Ceratosaurs figures.
Edit: I just saw the measurement in Everything dinosaurs blog, CollectA messed up it again, there no way a 27 cm long Ceratosaurus is in 1:40. Or it could be everythingdinosaur fault and they added the 1:40, when it should be only "Deluxe". Anyway, if the figure is that big, I am not interested.

Sculpt-wise I like this Dimetrodon more than the Safari, but color-wise the Safari wins. Also, both CollectA and Safari release a figure of the same creature in the same year again.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Kaprosaurus on November 17, 2017, 10:11:19 AM
I know that,but the coloration of the tips make it look like it was pure bone,while Safari Dimetrodon had at least skin (Or so i thought)

We are talking about speculations because the real aspect of the Dimetrodon isn't totally clear.
Tips exposed or covered with skin? We don't know for sure.
Dimetrodon was an early synapsid, a "stem-mammal" but we don't have any fossilized skin impression so: fur or scutes on the body ?
Maybe Dimetrodon could have a "more mammalian" look like this:

As I said before, these are only speculations because we don't know for sure..  :-\

Safari and Collecta are simply different interpretations  :)

Jose S.M.

Just when I had decided to get the Papo Cerarosaurus comes CollectA and makes me not sure. I like the pose so much better in this one. Just one question, is this one bigger than Papo's? I don't know the size of it.

tyrantqueen

I don't mind the Dimetrodon. It's still on the conservative side compared to some more mammalian reconstructions floating around on the net.

The broken spines make sense to me, considering that interspecies combat totally could have happened, and the life of wild animals is generally rough and tumble.

MLMjp

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on November 17, 2017, 11:14:58 AM
Just when I had decided to get the Papo Cerarosaurus comes CollectA and makes me not sure. I like the pose so much better in this one. Just one question, is this one bigger than Papo's? I don't know the size of it.

According to everything dinosaur is 27 cm long and 12 cm tall.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: MLMjp on November 17, 2017, 11:47:52 AM

The CollectA one is, but the one I don't know the size is the Papo one hehe

suspsy

Well now!

That Dimetrodon certainly looks fantastic! The Safari version looks like it has better sculpting, but I like the dynamic pose and the more ragged-looking sail on this one. I guess I'll be getting both!

The Ceratosaurus looks quite demonic with those facial markings. I can almost hear it hissing/croaking ominously. It also looks like CollectA has listened to the feedback and gone back to making bases with more detailed texture.

And Gomphotherium! A very cool choice for a prehistoric probiscidean. It'll be neat to display it alongside the Deinotherium.

CollectA's 2018 line continues to shine. I guess next week's reveal will be the last one. Will we get another Supreme-class flyer? Another sea monster to go with the Dunkleosteus? Another mammal, perhaps Megatherium? And will this be CollectA's first line in years without a ceratopsian?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MLMjp

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on November 17, 2017, 11:50:08 AM
Quote from: MLMjp on November 17, 2017, 11:47:52 AM

The CollectA one is, but the one I don't know the size is the Papo one hehe

Ups, my bad, I miseread your post. :P

PumperKrickel

deleted

Shonisaurus

I get the impression that in the next week they will reveal three figures or two figures and a tube of prehistoric animals. As in the previous year it will be approximately ten revelations. I do not think they make more figures according to Collecta's philosophy.

There was a year of the famous megacerops where they revealed if I remember correctly a whopping seventeen figures and they were truly spectacular. I would very much like Collecta some year to make more figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals as well as current or extinct animals and horses among other figures as happened at that time.

However, I prefer figures of deluxe size or scale of 1:20 to figures of standard size by Collecta. This year we have six fabulous and varied figures and I value that more than twelve standard size figures whose details, as is logical, tend to be smaller.

Dimitar_E

Papo is 20-21 cm long - much more 1:40ish than Collecta :)
Collecta is the same size as the Rebor one.

AcroSauroTaurus

My opinions.

Ceratosaurus: Beautiful, possibly the best Cerato figure. I would've liked the eye crests taller though.

Dimetrodon: Usually when Safari and CollectA make the same figure, I like the Safari's sculpt and the CollectA's coloration, while with the Dimetrodons I prefer CollectA's sculpt and Safari's coloration. Sculpt-wise, this is the most accurate Dimetrodon, it has the hump at the base of the sail, tail off the ground, and the more straight-limb posture that the Safari lacks. However, the Safari does have lips...

Gomphotherium: Would've preferred just an elephantine texture, without the hair on the dorsum.(unless thats accurate, I'm not an expert on extinct elephants) But it looks great, the jaw tusks could be a little longer so they're more noticeable though.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Jose S.M.

Papo is 20-21 cm long - much more 1:40ish than Collecta :)
Collecta is the same size as the Rebor one.
[/quote]

Thanks

A. atokensis

When released, Mantellisaurus and Sciurumimus can go onto the USL.

CMIPalaeo

Excellent Gomphotherium, I'm total sucker for extinct proboscideans (especially when they aren't woolly mammoths) so I'll be picking that up to go with the Safari mastodon. I also really dig the Ceratosaurus, with its stocky build, small arms, and striking colour scheme that's a bit nicer and more natural than some of Collecta's other theropod colourations. The Dimetrodon is cool too, a bit more 'modern' than Safari's one but not too mammalian - Dimetrodon wasn't a mammal, it's important to remember, but a pretty basal synapsid.
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

CMIPalaeo

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on November 17, 2017, 03:25:19 PM
My opinions.

Ceratosaurus: Beautiful, possibly the best Cerato figure. I would've liked the eye crests taller though.

Dimetrodon: Usually when Safari and CollectA make the same figure, I like the Safari's sculpt and the CollectA's coloration, while with the Dimetrodons I prefer CollectA's sculpt and Safari's coloration. Sculpt-wise, this is the most accurate Dimetrodon, it has the hump at the base of the sail, tail off the ground, and the more straight-limb posture that the Safari lacks. However, the Safari does have lips...

Gomphotherium: Would've preferred just an elephantine texture, without the hair on the dorsum.(unless thats accurate, I'm not an expert on extinct elephants) But it looks great, the jaw tusks could be a little longer so they're more noticeable though.

Regarding Gomphotherium, the hair is probably about as accurate as making it totally bare-skinned - we simply don't know what kind of integument these animals had relative to modern elephants, and it's worth bearing in mind that Asian elephants (particularly younger individuals) can be a bit hairier than people tend to think.

Additionally, I was a little surprised by the quite short lower tusks, but they're well within the range of variation in the genus. Some individuals even appear to lack lower tusks.
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

Flaffy

Is it just me or is there just an influx of "deluxe" figures from CollectA  :o
My wallet is gonna kill me next year.

Ceratosaurus: A long overdue figure from CollectA. Really like the colour scheme on this bad boy  ;D Wish the eyebrow crests were taller and painted like the nasal crest, kind of a missed opportunity to showcase how bizarre keratin structures could get.

Dimetrodon: Awesome sculpt, questionable paint job. Like the Estemmenosuchus, it could definitely use a repaint, feels really messy and blotchy. I don't understand why CollectA just refuses to give lips to their prehistoric synapsids, makes it look shrink-wrapped, really detracts from the overall look of the figure. I prefer the body sculpt of the CollectA one, but the head sculpt of Safari's, you can't get everything I guess  :-\

Gomphotherium: Finally another Gomphothere! The Bullyland one is showing it's age. The coat of fur is a nice touch, can't wait to get this one. I for one don't mind the smaller jaw tusks, maybe it represents G. steinheimense rather than G. productum. Hope CollectA will do a stegotetrabelodon some day.

Irritation

I'm still the only one still having an issue with dinos on bases. The other two I might get.

Sim

Both Safari and CollectA are offering some very good new figures for 2018.  With this latest reveal from CollectA though, and I never thought I would say this, I prefer CollectA's prehistoric releases for the year to Safari's.  It doesn't matter that CollectA hasn't shown them all yet, because Safari's didn't include any animals I like a lot, while CollectA's does now with this very nice Ceratosaurus figure.  I won't be getting this Ceratosaurus, as I have no interest in having dinosaurs that are permanently attached to a base, but it pleases me more than any of Safari's 2018 releases.  I look forward to seeing people's photos of the CollectA Ceratosaurus.

Quote from: Irritation on November 17, 2017, 04:24:03 PM
I'm still the only one still having an issue with dinos on bases. The other two I might get.

No, as I mentioned above, I have no interest in having dinosaurs that have permanently attached bases.  I think as it is now, it's more or less okay, since while CollectA makes their bipedal dinosaurs attached to bases, Safari generally doesn't.  The 2017 Safari Giganotosaurus having a base is something I hope not to see in future Safari dinosaurs.  I know some people here prefer the biped dinosaurs to have bases, but some including myself don't want them to have bases.  So having one of the two companies who aims for accurate dinosaurs make them on bases (CollectA) while the other doesn't give them bases (Safari) seems fair to me.  If Safari started attaching bases to the dinosaurs I'd like to have, I might have to stop collecting.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on November 17, 2017, 02:17:39 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2017, 01:52:26 PM
CollectA's 2018 line continues to shine. I guess next week's reveal will be the last one. Will we get another Supreme-class flyer?

I firmly expect a Supreme Yi Qi. If not 2018, then surely 2019. It´s a perfect fit for Collecta.

Here's hoping, the supreme range are my favorite figures. 

The Cerato and Dimetro are cool,  i'll pick up both.   Doug's  Dimetro looks more well fed than CollectA's but chalk it up to age or a more rough life style. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: