News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Reptilia on March 02, 2018, 10:42:54 PM
Is it all for wave one? Anybody knows when are we going to see Dimetrodon and Estemmenosuchus?

In the best case, the online stores will be published in August according to the web page of shop.modellpferdeversand.de I give you the dates of launch by this company of both dimetrodon and estemmenosuchos. So I gather that we will have to wait a long time.

Link dimetrodon:

http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de/CollectA-Figuren/CollectA-Neuheiten-2018/CollectA-Neuheiten-2018-2-Halbjahr/-CollectA-88822-Deluxe-1-20-Dimetrodon-mit-beweglichem-Kiefer :: 10687.htm

Link estemmenosuchus: '

http://shop.modellpferdeversand.de/CollectA-Figuren/CollectA-Neuheiten-2018/CollectA-Neuheiten-2018-2-Halbjahr/-CollectA-88816-Deluxe-1-20-Estemmenosuchus-mit-beweglichem-Kiefer :: 10686.htm

Reptilia

Looking forward to see how both of them look compared to other Collectas. Thanks Shonisaurus.

PhilSauria

Andy, a relatively new and prolific reviewer on You Tube, whose work I enjoy, has posted a review of the new CollectA Iguanodon. For those who may still like a closer look at this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5bDxIL1AAY

SidB

CollectA keeps on upping their game. Looks like the fears that arose when they were bought out last year were unfounded. Wow - I'm looking forward to our DTB review, when it comes out.

Jose S.M.

I want this one so bad and now I don't know when or where to get it. That distribution move is weird to me, I would think that you would want to distribute the novelties first. Specially when last three or four years have been the best of CollectA.

danmalcolm

Just order from minizoo. I'm in Canada and I need up paying less than 40 for the iguanodon and shipping... it's beautiful. Great model. The plastic it's made from is firm and heavy, could almost be resin. Details look way better in person too.

Shonisaurus

The figure as commented by other members of the forum seems of resin is very detailed. You can see this iguanodon from Collecta in a very dynamic position, I believe that very few iguanodons have this dynamic and detailed posture. You can see the limbs, the scales, and it seems to have this dynamic attitude for three reasons, or to communicate with members of the same species, or in an act of mating or in which I feel alerted and defensive before the arrival of a predator , in this case we could add an allosaurus.  8)

It is a perfect figure. Especially from Collecta I like how it has disposed in all its figures of dinosaurs and in general prehistoric animals its cloacal opening. It is a detailed figure I repeat from the beginning to the end from head to tail and is one of the best figures that Collecta has released this year.  :P The sculptor must recognize that he is an eminence at the time of making this paleoartistic figure. ^-^

Neosodon

I almost didn't get it because I was content with the safari one. But I'm very glad I got it now. I never knew an Iguanadon could look so stunning. One of my favorite display pieces now.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Shonisaurus

I do not know how this video can be produced, but I just found out that in the Andy's Dinosaur Reviews video network a revision of the Collecta 2018 dimetrodon has been published. I'll give you the video if you find it interesting,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9OQBd2vZco&feature=push-u&attr_tag=Iwlh3czJbDk1cYV6-6

It's weird that they published it before its release in the toy dinosaur shops. It looks magnificent.  :o :)

Reptilia

Mmh... would like to see a repaint of this one, but overall another top class model after the Dunkleosteus and the Iguanodon. Sure the most accurate Dimetrodon available at the moment.

Sim

Quote from: Reptilia on March 11, 2018, 10:55:12 PM
Sure the most accurate Dimetrodon available at the moment.

Could you say how this CollectA figure is more accurate than the Wild Safari Dimetrodon?  I have close to no interest in most synapsids, Dimetrodon included, but from the little I've read about current beliefs pertaining to the integument of Dimetrodon, I wonder:  If the ends of its spines were not within the sail, is it plausible the tips would just be exposed bone like it seems to be on the CollectA Dimetrodon?  Would it not make sense that the exposed ends of the spines would be covered in skin like the parts within the sail, just not connected to adjacent spine ends, basically what is seen on the Wild Safari Dimetrodon?

Flaffy

What a lovely Dimetrodon! Shame that it's colours are absolutely disgusting.
The colours do no justice to the sculpt.
I plan to have Martin repaint this figure, and maybe the Estemmenosuchus and Iguanodon as well, does anyone know how I can contact him? And if I can ship figures directly to him to save on shipping? Instead of me having to purchase the figures beforehand and then pay postage again to have them shipped to Martin.

John

Quote from: Sim on March 11, 2018, 11:49:50 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on March 11, 2018, 10:55:12 PM
Sure the most accurate Dimetrodon available at the moment.

Could you say how this CollectA figure is more accurate than the Wild Safari Dimetrodon?  I have close to no interest in most synapsids, Dimetrodon included, but from the little I've read about current beliefs pertaining to the integument of Dimetrodon, I wonder:  If the ends of its spines were not within the sail, is it plausible the tips would just be exposed bone like it seems to be on the CollectA Dimetrodon?  Would it not make sense that the exposed ends of the spines would be covered in skin like the parts within the sail, just not connected to adjacent spine ends, basically what is seen on the Wild Safari Dimetrodon?
The new Wild Safari model shows the much more likely appearance of the sail than the CollectA one does.It is very unlikely that the tips of the sail had exposed bone as the CollectA model shows.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

SidB

Looking at the hind quarters, it seems that CollectA has adopted the more gracile look typified by the Bullyland and Carnegie v.2 as seen on the DTB reviews. This is in sharp contrast to the much more robust appearance of the new Safari and even the Schleich models, also reviewed. At first I was a bit put off by the massiveness of the Safari's limbs, but think that I'm coming round to this look.

Another thought more relevant to the discussion above: could CollectA be supposing that the apparently exposed bone at the tips of the spines is actually covered in some sort of protective material? Color-wise, the images don't necessarily seem to indicate this, though perhaps it's not ruled out. Still, an odd decision.

Flaffy

The lack of lips is still bugging me though, might end up getting the Safari one instead.

suspsy

Why are you people all assuming that those tips are necessarily exposed bone? Why can't they simply be bone-coloured?

In any case, the CollectA's sail and posture definitely resemble Scott Hartman's reconstruction more than the Safari's:

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/21stcenturydimetrodon
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm not seeing exposed bone, just spike tips, probably covered in keratin or something?

Halichoeres

I'm not sure about the posture. I actually think the Safari's is a better match, especially the slight kink in the posterior half of the dorsal vertebral column. The angle of the limbs is very slightly different, but Dimetrodon had a shallow acetabulum, so that strikes me as pretty plausible.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

The dimetrodon Collecta is very good, I do not know if better or worse than Safari but the only drawback from my point of view is that the painting does not favor it is an unnatural war painting.

In the rest I think a good figure and certainly must be based on the digital recreation of the dimetrodon grandis Mark Witton I say because the torn candle is very similar.

John

Quote from: suspsy on March 12, 2018, 12:00:53 PM
Why are you people all assuming that those tips are necessarily exposed bone? Why can't they simply be bone-coloured?

In any case, the CollectA's sail and posture definitely resemble Scott Hartman's reconstruction more than the Safari's:

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/21stcenturydimetrodon
If it's meant to be keratin covered spike tips,than CollectA did a very poor job in the coloring of it as with the bone coloring it looks more like it's skin is rotting off it's sail...maybe if the tips were the same color as the nails on it's feet it would look much better.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: