News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

This is my favorite Iguanodon as of right now, followed closely by the Safari one mostly for size reasons (that one is so tiny but so great). If they were both big I think I would prefer the Safari one because it's shape is more bulky, like I always thought Iguanodon was. Colors are not very important matter to me so they are tied in that sense. But I seriously think this Iguanodon is up there with the Styracosaurus and Dimorphodon as the best CollectA figures.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on March 20, 2018, 03:28:17 PM
This is my favorite Iguanodon as of right now, followed closely by the Safari one mostly for size reasons (that one is so tiny but so great). If they were both big I think I would prefer the Safari one because it's shape is more bulky, like I always thought Iguanodon was. Colors are not very important matter to me so they are tied in that sense. But I seriously think this Iguanodon is up there with the Styracosaurus and Dimorphodon as the best CollectA figures.

I agree. It's a supremely well-made model that caters to Iguanodon aficionados. It resembles those expensive Kinto desktop model statues.

Reptilia

Collecta released an impressive string of accurate, naturalistic and sizeable models in the last twelve months: Styracosaurus, Kronosaurus, Dimorphodon, Iguanodon and Dunkleosteus. It's very hard not to recognize them as the leading force in the prehistoric figures' market, I mean everything considered and personal bias aside.

Patrx

CollectA are definitely continuing to make waves - and, I daresay, improving. Very much looking forward to buying the Sciurumimus, but I figured I'd wait for the Dimetrodon and pick them both up from MiniZoo in one go. The Iguanodon is nice, but maybe a bit too big for me, particularly since I already have the Safari.

X

I don't like its texture and something about it just doesen't seem right.

tanystropheus

Quote from: PangolinWizard on March 21, 2018, 12:15:46 AM

As you've stated earlier, you are entitled to your opinion. But it also appears to be the first universally negative review of the Iguano on DTF...therefore, my curiosity was more than a little piqued.

Simon

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 21, 2018, 12:30:41 AM
Quote from: PangolinWizard on March 21, 2018, 12:15:46 AM

As you've stated earlier, you are entitled to your opinion. But it also appears to be the first universally negative review of the Iguano on DTF...therefore, my curiosity was more than a little piqued.

Man, let me tell you guys something - the Iguanodon - to ME - has always been the most "vanilla", plain, uninteresting dinosaur you could imagine. No claws (just one puny spike), no teeth, no plates, no 'thagomizer', no horns, no frills (hey a "no frills" dinosaur!  ;) - but I disgress).

When Doug Watson's Iguanodon model won "Best Model of The Year" ( I am NOT, repeat NOT critiquing Doug's artistic sculpt here - gotta make that clear), I thought to myself "people have lost their minds - its JUST AN IGUANODON!!"

OK.  So now that I have established the fact that I find Iguanodons (almost) as uninteresting as crest-less Hadrosaurus, I'll "drop the other shoe":

I just got the Collecta Iguanodon from the UK.  And it is an absolutely AMAZING figure.  So appealing and well-done that it actually overcame my natural aversion to the species. And it looks wonderful next to my PNSO/Vitae gang.  Its just an amazing figure.  ;D ;D ;D

SidB

Now, if Simon's testimonial doesn't convert the unconvinced, well ... then I don't know what will! Clearly and unequivocally - it's a winner.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Simon I've actually felt the same way about Iguanodon , it's a huge part of Dinosaurian history but along with Megalosaurus is indeed very general or bland dinosaurs, one reason I put them off for the Park here..but the better figures we get like this change my mind about how it could be..and let me clarify ,  because of this figure, in part at least, i'm looking at spending a lot of time and money to create a life size one.

Simon

Quote from: SidB on March 21, 2018, 12:58:03 AM
Now, if Simon's testimonial doesn't convert the unconvinced, well ... then I don't know what will! Clearly and unequivocally - it's a winner.

Man - just look at this guy:

X

I mean, I may have incorrectly emphasized my problems with the figure. Its sculpt is nice and the paint job looks good, but I feel like the colors are somewhat dull and the scales are weird. I may be completely wrong and if I get to see one in person I may change my mind, but it's definitely not the worst of all.

I'll list them in order of my favorites so that nobody else gets confused by my rather brief previous list(It is changed).
1.Dunkleosteus
2.Dimetrodon
3.Brontosaurus
4.Estemmenosuchus
5. Iguanodon
6.Sciurumimus
7. Ceratosaurus
8.Tyrannosaurus
9.Gompotherium
10.Mapuasaurus

suspsy

I don't see how the scales are in any way "weird." They're the exact same pebbled texture that can be found on many recent toys, from CollectA, Safari, Papo, and more.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

X

I just find them a bit too noticeable on this figure.

stargatedalek

I don't like the tail, it feels far to "vertical", almost like a fish, rather than being thick and muscular. Especially noticeable around the lower half of the base of the tail.

Ravonium

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 21, 2018, 02:51:54 AM
I don't like the tail, it feels far to "vertical", almost like a fish, rather than being thick and muscular. Especially noticeable around the lower half of the base of the tail.

I'd say this here is my main issue with the Iguanodon. I also don't think it helps that its facial expression appears to imply that it is starved.

This being said, I still prefer it over the Safari Ltd Iguanodon solely because it is larger.

Neosodon

Quote from: Ravonium on March 21, 2018, 08:05:05 AM

I'd say this here is my main issue with the Iguanodon. I also don't think it helps that its facial expression appears to imply that it is starved.

This being said, I still prefer it over the Safari Ltd Iguanodon solely because it is larger.
The figure overall is a bit skinny and vertical. But it's only noticeable from certain angles. I think they do this to cut down on the weight and amount of plastic used. In the safari diplodacus it's even more noticeable.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Shonisaurus

I understand that the paleoartistic point is more colorful the Collecta iguanodon, it seems to me a gorgeus and very nice figure but the Doug Watson iguanodon is a more precise figure from the paleontological point of view from my point of view.

Also many members of the forum forget (I the first) of the feathered Tyrannosaurus 2018 of Collecta that presages that it will be a much more precise figure than its predecessor although I am not sure if it will be stable.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Ravonium on March 21, 2018, 08:05:05 AM

Tail too vertical? Looking starved? ;D Well all the iguanodon figures currently in production have the same vertical tail, yes, that includes Safari's version. ^-^
It has a lot more heft to it than the Safari version seen from above, and it's tail is also more fluid, with a sideway motion if you look at it from above. This is the only figure of iguanodon from my collection that shows such movement.
Anyway, each one has their own like and dislikes I suppose. Still is the best for me ^-^ Cheers!
[]

terrorchicken

my only issue with it is still the color...I really wish they'd hire a new painter, one that doesnt rely so much on camo colors/patterns.

btw this is a bit off topic, but since were talking about iguanodon figures, how does the old Carnegie hold up(as far as accuracy)? Ive always liked it and with Collecta being so hard to get in the states now, its my only other option for a larger sized iguanodon figure.

X

Quote from: terrorchicken on March 21, 2018, 08:19:47 PM
my only issue with it is still the color...I really wish they'd hire a new painter, one that doesnt rely so much on camo colors/patterns.

btw this is a bit off topic, but since were talking about iguanodon figures, how does the old Carnegie hold up(as far as accuracy)? Ive always liked it and with Collecta being so hard to get in the states now, its my only other option for a larger sized iguanodon figure.
The tail and stance are inaccurate, and I believe the proportions are off.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: