News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

CollectA really needs to hire a new painter...
The colour choices on most of their figures are jarring and poorly applicated.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Flaffy on March 22, 2018, 12:55:47 AM
CollectA really needs to hire a new painter...
The colour choices on most of their figures are jarring and poorly applicated.

Agreed. I was looking at the latest photos of Estemmenosuchus. The (borderline neon) lime green sure comes off as gaudy. Otherwise, it is a pretty decent model.

The Atroxious

For what it's worth, speaking as someone who doesn't collect ornithopods, this Iguanodon is the best figure CollectA has produced yet. It may not be my favorite dinosaur of theirs, but it is certainly their best sculpt, and I'd argue that it's the best Iguanodon on the market. The Safari version is good, but this one is a whole new level of excellent. It has so much life and grace to it, that I think it blows all the other toy Iguanodons out of the water, even with the less-than-impressive paint job. The good texturing definitely helps distract from the paint too.

John

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 21, 2018, 03:13:19 PM
I understand that the paleoartistic point is more colorful the Collecta iguanodon, it seems to me a gorgeus and very nice figure but the Doug Watson iguanodon is a more precise figure from the paleontological point of view from my point of view.

Also many members of the forum forget (I the first) of the feathered Tyrannosaurus 2018 of Collecta that presages that it will be a much more precise figure than its predecessor although I am not sure if it will be stable.
Actually,CollectA's new Iguanodon looks exactly as it should when it comes to accuracy.There are no anatomical flaws in this one.I would go so far as to say that this Iguanodon actually blows the new Papo one out of the water in my opinion. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Flaffy

Quote from: John on March 22, 2018, 02:16:48 AM
Actually,CollectA's new Iguanodon looks exactly as it should when it comes to accuracy.There are no anatomical flaws in this one.I would go so far as to say that this Iguanodon actually blows the new Papo one out of the water in my opinion. :)

imo It would've blown the Papo Iguanodon out of the water... only if it had better paint. The colours don't do justice to the sculpt. The black lines and orange spots on the body look amateurish, as if a child had squibbled random patterns with a crayon on top of the poor model.

Syndicate Bias

well duh papo is mostly artistic, accuracy wise papo usually gets beaten by almost every company except rebor.

But artistically Papo has the better organic sculpting.

I will say though CollectA has done a fine job this year i can't wait to get their Mapusaurus and Carcharodontosaurus which i have been procrastinating a little bit, just need to find where to find it with the lowest prices

John

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 22, 2018, 04:46:36 AM
well duh papo is mostly artistic, accuracy wise papo usually gets beaten by almost every company except rebor.

I will say though CollectA has done a fine job this year i can't wait to get their Mapusaurus and Carcharodontosaurus which i have been procrastinating a little bit, just need to find where to find it with the lowest prices

To me,Papo has the best organic sculpting when it comes to their big cats.
One thing I will say about Papo's dinosaur line is they have hands down the best coloration and paint application out of any line.I would love to see Papo get out of the way of the designing and let their sculptors do their thing.
And I think CollectA's new Mapusaurus is a nice one too.I've noticed an overall marked improvement over previous bipeds in the line from detail,to the bases they are on.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

mgaguilar

I agree with Flaffy. Not only the Iguanodon, but most of CollectA's dinosaurs suffer from terrible paint jobs, so much so, that it without a doubt harms the attention to detail of the sculpts.
A prime example of this is the quadruped Spinosaurus. Literally one of the worst paint jobs I have seen from a professionally produced product. And to prove it's true?
Try looking at Martin Garrett's rendition of these figures. Top-notch. The paint jobs are heavily diminishing the value of these figures, and I would definitely pay more to have a better paint job.

John

Quote from: mgaguilar on March 22, 2018, 06:03:28 AM
I agree with Flaffy. Not only the Iguanodon, but most of CollectA's dinosaurs suffer from terrible paint jobs, so much so, that it without a doubt harms the attention to detail of the sculpts.
A prime example of this is the quadruped Spinosaurus. Literally one of the worst paint jobs I have seen from a professionally produced product. And to prove it's true?
Try looking at Martin Garrett's rendition of these figures. Top-notch. The paint jobs are heavily diminishing the value of these figures, and I would definitely pay more to have a better paint job.
No one knows what color they were in life so arguing over it is pointless.Having said that,paint is a non issue for me anyway.I don't have to pay a penny to have them repainted since I can do it myself if I want to.The trick is in the dry brushing to bring out the detail. ;D

mgaguilar

Quote from: John on March 22, 2018, 06:14:40 AM
No one knows what color they were in life so arguing over it is pointless.Having said that,paint is a non issue for me anyway.I don't have to pay a penny to have them repainted since I can do it myself if I want to.The trick is in the dry brushing to bring out the detail. ;D

Eh, I'm not trying to argue over the accuracy of the paint jobs, just the aesthetic appeal of the figures themselves.
My man, doing god's work. You got a thread for your repaints?

EDIT: And oh my god your signature is hilarious.

John

Quote from: mgaguilar on March 22, 2018, 06:18:55 AM

Eh, I'm not trying to argue over the accuracy of the paint jobs, just the aesthetic appeal of the figures themselves.

I don't have any pictures of the ones I've painted,which are mainly resin models I did long ago,and I've never quite figured out how to put pictures up here anyway,so I never bothered to make any threads for it...And to really show my age,I don't have a cell phone to take pictures with... :-X
They were mostly ceratopsian models sculpted by Cliff Green from the late 90's into the mid 2000's already primed in red-brown primer.Some I got from the now defunct Link and Pin Hobbies,and others were from Green himself.Now Link and Pin is long gone and Cliff Green's site doesn't seem to be around anymore unfortunately...
But even still,I would say that right now is the real golden age for dinosaur and prehistoric animal figures with so many lines out there now.Ten years ago,it would have been rare to see prehistoric mammals period,now we are seeing them from three lines now all at once (CollectA,Safari Ltd. and Eofauna). :)

Shonisaurus

I sincerely agree with you, it is not known what the color was that almost all prehistoric animals had, and even less in dinosaurs, except for animals such as the archeopteryx or microraptor that, according to recent scientific research, are said to be black as crows .

I understand that people criticize the color of dinosaur figures not only from Collecta but from any company and many times the painting on many prehistoric animals would improve the figure substantially as it has happened for example with Collecta's dimorphodon but we must also take into account that are still mere PVC toys for young children, who are its main consumers apart from those of us who are collectors.

For that you can repaint the figures on your own or hire an artist if you are solvent enough (which is not my case) to do a good job. I sincerely agree with the painting of any dinosaur or prehistoric animal be it the brand that is independently that I like more or I like less. In my case I never modified the original painting of the figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals. But that is my philosophy.

tanystropheus

Papo is generally hit or miss when it comes to accuracy. Whenever they try to emulate Sideshow, Papo impresses...

tanystropheus

Quote from: John on March 22, 2018, 05:57:54 AM

One thing I will say about Papo's dinosaur line is they have hands down the best coloration and paint application out of any line.I would love to see Papo get out of the way of the designing and let their sculptors do their thing.

It's remarkable how much Papo has improved in the colors department over the years. They still need to introduce more blues and yellows.

In theory, Eofauna has what it takes to deliver the most accurate and the most organic models.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 22, 2018, 04:40:06 PM

It's remarkable how much Papo has improved in the colors department over the years. They still need to introduce more blues and yellows.

In theory, Eofauna has what it takes to deliver the most accurate and the most organic models.

I understand that each company in this case Collecta that is treated thread like the rest of those that are mentioned or not mentioned has its charm.

Some companies can be for some more preferred than others and in some cases one can criticize in general the work of a toy brand of dinosaurs in relative or absolute terms. But the truth and truth is that each company has its production philosophy and its artistic license and concluding each dinosaur brand both PVC or resin are paleoartísticas works of different sculptors.

It is just like the paloilustradores, we can like one more Julius Csotonyi, others like Luis Rey or Mauricio Antón or John Gurche for example. :)

terrorchicken

Quote from: PangolinWizard on March 22, 2018, 12:45:55 AM
Quote from: terrorchicken on March 21, 2018, 08:19:47 PM
my only issue with it is still the color...I really wish they'd hire a new painter, one that doesnt rely so much on camo colors/patterns.

btw this is a bit off topic, but since were talking about iguanodon figures, how does the old Carnegie hold up(as far as accuracy)? Ive always liked it and with Collecta being so hard to get in the states now, its my only other option for a larger sized iguanodon figure.
The tail and stance are inaccurate, and I believe the proportions are off.

thanks! well there's also the Papo but its probably just as inaccurate as the old Carnegie and I think the Carnegie has more charm.  O:-)

mgaguilar

Quote from: John on March 22, 2018, 07:04:16 AM
Quote from: mgaguilar on March 22, 2018, 06:18:55 AM

I don't have any pictures of the ones I've painted,which are mainly resin models I did long ago,and I've never quite figured out how to put pictures up here anyway,so I never bothered to make any threads for it...And to really show my age,I don't have a cell phone to take pictures with... :-X
They were mostly ceratopsian models sculpted by Cliff Green from the late 90's into the mid 2000's already primed in red-brown primer.Some I got from the now defunct Link and Pin Hobbies,and others were from Green himself.Now Link and Pin is long gone and Cliff Green's site doesn't seem to be around anymore unfortunately...
But even still,I would say that right now is the real golden age for dinosaur and prehistoric animal figures with so many lines out there now.Ten years ago,it would have been rare to see prehistoric mammals period,now we are seeing them from three lines now all at once (CollectA,Safari Ltd. and Eofauna). :)

I must say I too am very excited to see many companies taking an interest in prehistoric figures as viable products. When I was younger, the only series that I do remember are Resaurus and the JP toys.
I guess it's true that it is only a matter of time for companies to begin expanding the diversity of their lines over time. In ten years I assume we may very well have double the prehistoric diversity we have today.
Well, I guess as long as mass-media continues to promote prehistory to younger generations.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 22, 2018, 05:09:33 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on March 22, 2018, 04:40:06 PM

... But the truth and truth is that each company has its production philosophy and its artistic license and concluding each dinosaur brand both PVC or resin are paleoartísticas works of different sculptors.

It is just like the paloilustradores, we can like one more Julius Csotonyi, others like Luis Rey or Mauricio Antón or John Gurche for example. :)

That's a great analogy. It's why we are drawn to multiple lines or artists in the first place.

SidB

It is a very good analogy. Its quite clear from reading posts like this that those collectors with a wide range of tastes, that is, those who have the capacity to appreciate a quality product WITHIN a specific, intentional design philosophy tend to get the most enjoyment from the hobby. They also tend to be more generous in their assessments, in this context. Of course, that doesn't keep one from properly criticizing gross inaccuracies resulting from a lack of research, shoddy execution or simple laziness.

Reptilia

I would love to see Papo get out of the way of the designing and let their sculptors do their thing.

I think Papo's sculptors, particularly Mr Seo, do their thing already. Maybe it's just that you don't like their style.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: