News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

DAMTOYS New for 2018

Started by RobinGoodfellow, November 23, 2017, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CollectioNeo on February 15, 2019, 09:42:29 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2019, 05:21:09 PM
It's nice to see they are still in business and producing things.  I actually had an idea, they are basing production on pre-orders, they only enter production when enough are sold of a certain piece. Sound right?

It doesn't actually work like that, usually they either set an Edition Size and make that amount or they take orders up until the piece goes into production.

When a piece goes into production can vary, they sometimes do wait until they hit a certain number or it's just until the chosen factory becomes available. There aren't a lot of factories in China that can actually do high end collectibles like these so those few that can handle pretty much all the statue companies around so they have queues for items to go into production and usually those companies that pay more get higher int he queue faster.

Once production starts that's the number that is made. If all goes well and they are happy with the factories produced pieces they are shipped. It usually takes about 3 months for production but of course there is time when the pieces aren't up to scratch so they have to go back into production, this is usually where delays occur.

Add on a month or 2 then for shipping and distribution too. :)

I've just noticed they have moved back the release dates many times, like the Dilophosaurus bust was announced March last year? But was pushed back again and again.   I know Chronicle has done this as well with pieces so it's not just DAMTOYS.  Sideshow usually releases their products though when scheduled, at least the in house lines. 

Shonisaurus

I suppose this magnificent smilodon is an expensive figure. How much does it cost? Where can I locate it? Finally, what material is made of? although I guess it will be resin.

CollectioNeo

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 16, 2019, 04:34:32 AM
It's nice to see they are still in business and producing things.  I actually had an idea, they are basing production on pre-orders, they only enter production when enough are sold of a certain piece. Sound right?

It doesn't actually work like that, usually they either set an Edition Size and make that amount or they take orders up until the piece goes into production.

When a piece goes into production can vary, they sometimes do wait until they hit a certain number or it's just until the chosen factory becomes available. There aren't a lot of factories in China that can actually do high end collectibles like these so those few that can handle pretty much all the statue companies around so they have queues for items to go into production and usually those companies that pay more get higher int he queue faster.

Once production starts that's the number that is made. If all goes well and they are happy with the factories produced pieces they are shipped. It usually takes about 3 months for production but of course there is time when the pieces aren't up to scratch so they have to go back into production, this is usually where delays occur.

I've just noticed they have moved back the release dates many times, like the Dilophosaurus bust was announced March last year? But was pushed back again and again.   I know Chronicle has done this as well with pieces so it's not just DAMTOYS.  Sideshow usually releases their products though when scheduled, at least the in house lines.

If any company can get a piece done from pre-order in 12 months or under they are doing VERY well, most take around 12-16 months but there are cases of 2 years form pre-order or even 3 years from pre-order but of course these sort of delays have a huge impact on a companies reputation but most people don't mind a long wait as long as the end product is good, when it's not good than the problems start but usually any company doing that won't be around for long.

When it comes to high end collectibles delays are just common, whether you're paying $250 from Damtoys or $1000+ from Prime 1 or XM Studios, they all have delays, it's something you have to get used to.

I always say the hobby isn't about how much money you have, or how much space you have, it's about how much patience you have lol ;)

Also my Dilophosaurus bust shipped today so i'll have pics of that this week too :)

CollectioNeo

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 16, 2019, 10:37:20 AM
I suppose this magnificent smilodon is an expensive figure. How much does it cost? Where can I locate it? Finally, what material is made of? although I guess it will be resin.

Depends what you personally would call expensive. He's $225 and in the current market place for a piece this of this size and detail, it's actually a REAL bargain lol. I think if they put up another piece like this now it would be easily $400-$500.

The best place to get buy Damtoys i think is Sideshow but depending on your location you may find local suppliers who also stock them.

Here's the wet rainforest version which i have - https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/smilodon-fatalis-wet-rainforest-version-damtoys-903255

Here's the Dry Gobi version too - https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/smilodon-fatalis-dry-gobi-desert-version-damtoys-903256

The rainforest version is on Waitlist (put your name down and they find you one) but i'd say you have a real high chance of it converting to an order.

And it is made of Polystone which most people call resin, as i said in my other posts it's ridiculously heavy and well made i don't think anyone will be disappointed with him!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CollectioNeo on February 16, 2019, 01:57:34 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 16, 2019, 04:34:32 AM

If any company can get a piece done from pre-order in 12 months or under they are doing VERY well, most take around 12-16 months but there are cases of 2 years form pre-order or even 3 years from pre-order but of course these sort of delays have a huge impact on a companies reputation but most people don't mind a long wait as long as the end product is good, when it's not good than the problems start but usually any company doing that won't be around for long.

When it comes to high end collectibles delays are just common, whether you're paying $250 from Damtoys or $1000+ from Prime 1 or XM Studios, they all have delays, it's something you have to get used to.

I always say the hobby isn't about how much money you have, or how much space you have, it's about how much patience you have lol ;)

Also my Dilophosaurus bust shipped today so i'll have pics of that this week too :)

When I collected the Dinosauria pieces from Sideshow they would announce a piece is say Nov/Dec and then it would be out about 6 months later. I don't recall  ever having a delay but I'm sure it can happen.

CollectioNeo

And as promised guys here's the video review for the Smilodon - https://youtu.be/XhYDutapqaw

RobinGoodfellow

I've just received my Dry Gobi Desert Smilodon and I agree with CollectioNeo: this piece is simply wonderful  8)
Also very very heavy...  ::)
Pictures on my collection thread soon..  ^-^

:)

Fenestra

First let me say that both Smilodons look great.
The overall look, presence, paint job, and base are all great and also a very good catch for that price.

...But they look nothing like their proto-types.

Except for the base, everything is different. The eyes, the teeth, the fur colour, the amount and definition of the stripes and spots....
Despite all that, they are undoubtfully great looking Smilodon statues.
Just different from what I would expect to receive.
But I could easily get over that after staring at it for a couple of days, I'm sure!  :))
Congratulations to the both of you!

CollectioNeo

CollectioNeo

Dilophosaurus bust arrived this morning. If you are happy with your T Rex bust you're gonna be happy with this guy, really really nicely done and very very well painted! Another home run for Damtoys!

Couple of quick phone pics but will do some better pics and a video review as usual.

BRONSON

I like all their stuff, top quality, I just wished I could of found and bought the Mosasaur statue they made several years ago.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: BRONSON on February 20, 2019, 12:04:21 PM
I like all their stuff, top quality, I just wished I could of found and bought the Mosasaur statue they made several years ago.

I never knew of a Damtoys Mosasaur.
Do you have a link to it?

BRONSON

Ahh, its a Sideshow dinosauria, I knew that Damtoys were part of Sideshow and thought this was too, would love this statue, love the pose and all the things going off in it, the ammonites and the shark set it off.

https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/dinosauria-mosasaur-sideshow-collectibles-200361

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: BRONSON on February 20, 2019, 07:41:00 PM
Ahh, its a Sideshow dinosauria, I knew that Damtoys were part of Sideshow and thought this was too, would love this statue, love the pose and all the things going off in it, the ammonites and the shark set it off.

https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/dinosauria-mosasaur-sideshow-collectibles-200361

..ah, ok, the Sideshow one..
Yes, I have it in my collection:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157653828871662

BRONSON

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 20, 2019, 08:16:52 PM

Are you in need of a spare kidney  ;D

CollectioNeo

Quote from: BRONSON on February 20, 2019, 09:01:42 PM

If you are looking for one I can sell you mine but I'm in the UK but happy to ship wherever.

I'm looking for £350 or $456 + postage.... Let me know.

Fenestra

Quote from: CollectioNeo on February 20, 2019, 09:38:28 AM
Dilophosaurus bust arrived this morning. If you are happy with your T Rex bust you're gonna be happy with this guy, really really nicely done and very very well painted! Another home run for Damtoys!

I can look at that frill for hours. Very nice!
A subtle middle ground between scales and feathers.
I like this kind of base a lot better than the wooden block used for the T-rex. But that is just personal preference ofcourse.  ^-^
Congrats!

BRONSON

Quote from: CollectioNeo on February 20, 2019, 10:11:04 PM
Quote from: BRONSON on February 20, 2019, 09:01:42 PM

If you are looking for one I can sell you mine but I'm in the UK but happy to ship wherever.

I'm looking for £350 or $456 + postage.... Let me know.

Very kind offer, I am UK too, I am currently saving for something expensive at the moment but I will certainly let you know when I am in the market, is there any damage to it ?

CollectioNeo

Perfect condition, no issues and complete with all packaging, art box and shipper.

If you're in the UK even better £350 including shipping :)

I may put it on ebay soon but if you're interested let me know :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: