News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

DAMTOYS New for 2018

Started by RobinGoodfellow, November 23, 2017, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CollectioNeo

Hi All! New here and recently decided to start adding Dinos to my statue collection, picked up a few of the Sideshow pieces but am very excited and focused on the Damtoys line and i received their T Rex bust for my first piece from them and it's a great piece!

Didn't really know where else to post this stuff but i am guessing this is the main Damtoys thread? IF wrong please le tm eknow and maybe a Mod can move everything i post.

First of all let me post this recent sneak by Damtoys of their Spinosaurus Statue.

I am guessing their previously sneaked Spinosaurus Bust/half statue will be replaced by this but don't quote me on that.

CollectioNeo

On to the T Rex bust bust.

I'm a seasoned statue collector and have been for the last 12+ years and i know quality castings and paint jobs when i see them and let me tell you Damtoys have done a FANTASTIC job on this Rex bust

First a few words. I'm really happy with it & the more i look at it the more i love it! I love the details on him, the sculpt is very expressive, really nice take on the T Rex and is light years ahead of Sideshows efforts int he past imo.

I have every 1 of Damtoys Dinosaur/Paleontology line bust and statue on order so expect updates and picture/reviews of every one of them!

I'm so glad i went all in because all of these lined up are gonna look great on display and between Damtoys and Prime 1 i'm gonna have a real awesome Dino set up!

CollectioNeo

I'm happy to answer any questions about the bust or statue collecting in general :) IF you do want one of these or any of the other Damtoys pieces i'd reccomend Sideshowtoy.com.

CollectioNeo

And 1 last post from me for tonight i promise lol!

I do video reviews on youtube of all of my new pieces and Dinosaurs are gonna be among them. I'm not an editor or anything, i just do these on my phone for fun and to show off my love for these statues.....but i do tend to TALK and Ramble on for a while but do feel free to skip around!

Here's the Damtoys T Rex Bust Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-5jEANYRrg

If you want to subscribe, comment, like or whatever that's cool and if you don't that's cool too ;) Lots more Damtoys and other Dino reviews as i get them :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's a bit too much Jurassic Park but then they kinda went all weird with the teeth.. sorta like Papo's Running Rex.   I do like some of their other pieces and hope to be able to get some, but they are taking forever to release them.

Mackeral

Thank you for the review, nice to finally see a (dino) production piece of this fairly new company.
I did see your video and pics on theSideshow Freaks forum if i'm not mistaken.
That Spinosaurus looks promising.

ITdactyl

It's weird Damtoys actually changed their mind and want to create a full body statue of Spinosaurus, given they've already showed a half-body bust.

On that note, avatar_CollectioNeo @CollectioNeo , thanks for sharing your video.  I enjoyed the review. Though I'm not a fan of the subject, I really like the details - It's like a skilled sculptor went to town on a bust prioritizing aesthetics over accuracy.  If we're talking theropods, I prefer Damtoys' new Allosaurus bust over this Tyrannosaurus.

I was overly excited for their Quetzalcoatlus, but on seeing my friend's copy ended up changing my mind.  I like the posture and the sculpting details on the wings, but since they decided to make it scaly with large scutes on the back, I'm opting for another model.

CollectioNeo

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 02, 2019, 05:55:43 AM
It's a bit too much Jurassic Park but then they kinda went all weird with the teeth.. sorta like Papo's Running Rex.   I do like some of their other pieces and hope to be able to get some, but they are taking forever to release them.

I've seen comments on the teeth what is it that's weird about them? I do like that Damtoys are obviously taking inspiration from JP but are putting their own twist on it, from the Rex statues i've owned and seen though this has the most sculpt detail and the best paints. Damtoys do a very impressive Warcraft line and i'm happy to say they put as much love into these Dinos as they do that line....

CollectioNeo

Quote from: Mackeral on January 02, 2019, 07:02:02 AM
Thank you for the review, nice to finally see a (dino) production piece of this fairly new company.
I did see your video and pics on theSideshow Freaks forum if i'm not mistaken.
That Spinosaurus looks promising.

Thank you! Yeah i'm around on the other forums under "DeadGhostKnight" Figured i'd post them here for some dedicated Dino people who may have not seen this yet as there's very little Damtoys info around really.

It's always kinda scary getting a piece from a company you haven't touched before, my gut feeling was that it was gonna be great as their Warcraft line is a very consistent and very high end line, so i put my trust in them because of that. Paid off imo :)

CollectioNeo

Quote from: ITdactyl on January 02, 2019, 11:50:28 AM
It's weird Damtoys actually changed their mind and want to create a full body statue of Spinosaurus, given they've already showed a half-body bust.

On that note, avatar_CollectioNeo @CollectioNeo , thanks for sharing your video.  I enjoyed the review. Though I'm not a fan of the subject, I really like the details - It's like a skilled sculptor went to town on a bust prioritizing aesthetics over accuracy.  If we're talking theropods, I prefer Damtoys' new Allosaurus bust over this Tyrannosaurus.

I was overly excited for their Quetzalcoatlus, but on seeing my friend's copy ended up changing my mind.  I like the posture and the sculpting details on the wings, but since they decided to make it scaly with large scutes on the back, I'm opting for another model.

Thank you! Yes definitely prioritizing aesthetics over accuracy which totally works for me, it's very much an artistic take on the Rex while not taking too many liberties imo.

So you have seen the Quetzalcoatlus in hand? I know a few of these pieces are shipping around Asia are you based in Asia? Sideshow seem to be taking their time but i guess it's down to when Damtoys gets them out to Sideshow....all my orders at the moment are Jan-Feb so probably going to see a lot shipping int he next month or so "fingers crossed". I do have the Quetzalcoatlus on order....i'm not highly interested in accuracy so long as the sculpt and paints are good...but you have me more intrigued than ever now ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ITdactyl on January 02, 2019, 11:50:28 AM

So the Quetz ha been released?  I was waiting on Sideshow to stock it.

Quote from: CollectioNeo on January 02, 2019, 03:02:56 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 02, 2019, 05:55:43 AM

I've seen comments on the teeth what is it that's weird about them? I do like that Damtoys are obviously taking inspiration from JP but are putting their own twist on it, from the Rex statues i've owned and seen though this has the most sculpt detail and the best paints. Damtoys do a very impressive Warcraft line and i'm happy to say they put as much love into these Dinos as they do that line....

It's the length so far back, the arrangement and shape of the jaws compared to a Rex skull.   

Their items in general are definitely more on the "Awesombro " side of things with some accuracy sprinkled in. But I like that aspect too for art's sake. 

Dobber

As much as I LOVE all things Tyrannosaurus, I am a bit over the JP Stan Winston design. I do respect the piece of art that this bust is though. Beautifully painted details. Congrats  :)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

ITdactyl

Quote from: CollectioNeo on January 02, 2019, 03:10:17 PM
So you have seen the Quetzalcoatlus in hand? I know a few of these pieces are shipping around Asia are you based in Asia? Sideshow seem to be taking their time but i guess it's down to when Damtoys gets them out to Sideshow....all my orders at the moment are Jan-Feb so probably going to see a lot shipping int he next month or so "fingers crossed". I do have the Quetzalcoatlus on order....i'm not highly interested in accuracy so long as the sculpt and paints are good...but you have me more intrigued than ever now ;)

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 02, 2019, 03:12:20 PM
So the Quetz ha been released?  I was waiting on Sideshow to stock it.

My friend's Hong Kong based.  I'll ask how (and when) he got it, though from the gist of our conversation he got it off another collector.  The statue had the raised wing tip broken off (and missing) and he was asking if I'd be willing to do the restoration but I couldn't take the project.  I kinda feel bad, 'him having brought the statue to the Philippines (from HK), but I'm not confident I can restore it.

avatar_CollectioNeo @CollectioNeo , I hope you get yours soon.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , some Damtoys statues have been floating around the sale/trade Asian forums despite not yet being available through Sideshow so I wasn't too surprised to see the quetz.  'Just glad I didn't have cash on hand or I would've mindlessly broken the budget and bought it off him despite the broken wing (I think that was his expectation).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ah okay I see.  I know the plates on the back are a little off putting, Fortunately it looks great displayed where you can't see them.  If it ever does bother me I'll sculpt over them. 

Maybe they are trying to find packaging solutions to remedy how fragile they are?

Halichoeres

As a fish fan, I'm somewhat resigned to the fact that I can only get the animals I'm interested in when they're in the jaws of a spinosaurid, but ideally I would like to be able to remove them. Does anyone know whether that sawfish can be removed from the maw of the Spinosaurus?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CollectioNeo

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 07, 2019, 06:13:56 PM
As a fish fan, I'm somewhat resigned to the fact that I can only get the animals I'm interested in when they're in the jaws of a spinosaurid, but ideally I would like to be able to remove them. Does anyone know whether that sawfish can be removed from the maw of the Spinosaurus?

I'd be surprised if it isn't a separate piece because of breakages and packaging.....but if it does separate i imagine it will be two pieces, the front of the fish and the back of the fish and both pieces connecting at the Spinosaurus mouth, because any other way would introduce seams.

Will just have to wait and see when it shits a year or so down the line....

For anyone who's looking for the Rex bust, it is now showing as in stock ( low quantity ) at Sideshow - https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/t-rex-damtoys-903202/

RobinGoodfellow

I did a pre-order about Smilodon (Gobi version) on May 2018 at Sideshow.
The order was delayed 2 times with shipping time in January 2019.
Then January faded into February 2019..  ::)
Damtoys has serious problems with its new products.
I don't think I'll do again an order about Damtoys in the future  >:(

CollectioNeo

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 09, 2019, 10:39:28 AM

Usual statue production times range from 12-18 months from Preorder. If you get your statue in that time, that's normal. Some companies have taken up to 3 years. For me as long as the product at the end is up to scratch then waiting isn't an issue, long production times and a bad end product that's when we have problems.

Of course the other thing to do is just order once it's in stock. I personally think using Flexi payment makes pre-ordering very much worth it.

Also just to add the Smilodon is shipping already to Asia but Sideshow have to get their stock from Damtoys so usually products shipping from Factories in China take about 6 weeks to get to Sideshow and then Sideshow prep fro shipping. Also sometimes to fill a container they'll hold it back if another product is close to completion and send them over together.

Statues and high end pieces aren't about the money or the room it's all about patience :)

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: CollectioNeo on January 12, 2019, 05:51:39 AM

Statues and high end pieces aren't about the money or the room it's all about patience :)

I'm sorry but I do not agree with you.
If a company has made a public announcement about August availability taking pre-order and then moved twice the final release' date, it's not about patience: it's about a production line with troubles (and it's not professional)..  ???
Regards  :) 

CollectioNeo

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 12, 2019, 09:25:31 AM
Quote from: CollectioNeo on January 12, 2019, 05:51:39 AM

I'm sorry but I do not agree with you.
If a company has made a public announcement about August availability taking pre-order and then moved twice the final release' date, it's not about patience: it's about a production line with troubles (and it's not professional)..  ???
Regards  :)

It's fine to not agree with me but that is the reality of how statue production works, how it's always worked and it probably won't change for a long time. Delays happen with everything whether its videogames, movies, manufacturing of any kind...

If you have ordered with Sideshow and any item has been delayed over 3 months they will give you a full refund including your non-refundable deposit, so if you don't wish to wait anymore you do have that option.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: