News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

DAMTOYS New for 2018

Started by RobinGoodfellow, November 23, 2017, 09:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: CollectioNeo on January 13, 2019, 07:29:02 AM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 12, 2019, 09:25:31 AM
Quote from: CollectioNeo on January 12, 2019, 05:51:39 AM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 09, 2019, 10:39:28 AM

I did a pre-order about Smilodon (Gobi version) on May 2018 at Sideshow.
The order was delayed 2 times with shipping time in January 2019.
Then January faded into February 2019..  ::)
Damtoys has serious problems with its new products.
I don't think I'll do again an order about Damtoys in the future  >:(

Statues and high end pieces aren't about the money or the room it's all about patience :)

I'm sorry but I do not agree with you.
If a company has made a public announcement about August availability taking pre-order and then moved twice the final release' date, it's not about patience: it's about a production line with troubles (and it's not professional)..  ???
Regards  :)

It's fine to not agree with me but that is the reality of how statue production works, how it's always worked and it probably won't change for a long time. Delays happen with everything whether its videogames, movies, manufacturing of any kind...

If you have ordered with Sideshow and any item has been delayed over 3 months they will give you a full refund including your non-refundable deposit, so if you don't wish to wait anymore you do have that option.

..well, it seems you're deeply involved into promoting a new (for prehistoric collectibles) company (pictures, video review..), with a strong defense from different opinions.
Also you have great knowledge about shipping times from chinese production line to Sideshow, container facts, products availability, payment policies etc etc..
Probably I'm not talking to a simple "new" collector...

Regards.

CollectioNeo

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 13, 2019, 08:20:06 AM
Quote from: CollectioNeo on January 13, 2019, 07:29:02 AM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 12, 2019, 09:25:31 AM
Quote from: CollectioNeo on January 12, 2019, 05:51:39 AM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 09, 2019, 10:39:28 AM

I did a pre-order about Smilodon (Gobi version) on May 2018 at Sideshow.
The order was delayed 2 times with shipping time in January 2019.
Then January faded into February 2019..  ::)
Damtoys has serious problems with its new products.
I don't think I'll do again an order about Damtoys in the future  >:(

Statues and high end pieces aren't about the money or the room it's all about patience :)

I'm sorry but I do not agree with you.
If a company has made a public announcement about August availability taking pre-order and then moved twice the final release' date, it's not about patience: it's about a production line with troubles (and it's not professional)..  ???
Regards  :)

It's fine to not agree with me but that is the reality of how statue production works, how it's always worked and it probably won't change for a long time. Delays happen with everything whether its videogames, movies, manufacturing of any kind...

If you have ordered with Sideshow and any item has been delayed over 3 months they will give you a full refund including your non-refundable deposit, so if you don't wish to wait anymore you do have that option.

..well, it seems you're deeply involved into promoting a new (for prehistoric collectibles) company (pictures, video review..), with a strong defense from different opinions.
Also you have great knowledge about shipping times from chinese production line to Sideshow, container facts, products availability, payment policies etc etc..
Probably I'm not talking to a simple "new" collector...

Regards.

Haha definitely not involved with any company but i have been collecting high-end statues for about 12 years or so...so you just get to know a few things. :)

Also not defending any company just stating how it is....there's no defense...it's just the facts, that's how the industry works sadly.

Also if i'm promoting anything it's my tiny tiny tiny Youtube channel lol.....but even then it's more to share not to promote, i'm not in it for anything else :)

stargatedalek

Delays are common, especially for platforms like Sideshow which often sell products produced by small startup companies.

CollectioNeo

Just a heads up guys my Smilodon is being shipped from Sideshow next week so anyone who has him on order with Sideshow should be getting theirs soon!

I'll post pics and a review as i did with the T Rex bust in here i guess? unless it'd be better to post them elsewhere?

CollectioNeo

Dilophosaurus bust is also shipping out this week guys :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just checked Sideshow and they still say pre-order?

CollectioNeo

I think they send out in batches, so those who have had stuff Pre-ordered for a while get there's first.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ah ok. I was originally interested in the Dilo bust but my interest has waned since. I did preorder the yellow version of the Quetz the red one has been waitlisted for a few months.

RobinGoodfellow

..after MORE than six months of pre-order, Sideshow sent me an email that they received the Damtoys Smilodon and it will be shipped soon..
So I should receive my first (and probably LAST  ;) ) Damtoys figure next week.
I really hope it will look like promotional pictures..  ::)

CollectioNeo

Just unboxed the Smilodon.

First things first this piece is ridiculously heavy, for a relatively small piece it weighs around 16 kilo/35 pounds....i'm actually worried about displaying it on a besta shelf.....if you're a knuckle head who equates weight to value then this is off the charts lol.

It's in only in 2 pieces to my surprise.

The large rectangular base, which is the majority of the weight, it's basically a slab of polystone, painted up nicely to resemble a wooden plinth and has the gold plaque on it similar to the T Rex.

And then the actual Smilodon and the scenery base are all one piece and i'm happy to say it looks rather stunning, if you liked what you have seen on the prototype pictures you'll be very happy with what Damtoys have produced in hand.

Will hoepfully do some properly lit pictures and a video review this weekend! Here's a couple of phone pics.

Damtoys using the silky packaging like Prime 1.

Boxart which i thought was rather nice.

Halichoeres

Seems like it doesn't belong to "New for 2018" after all.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CollectioNeo

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 15, 2019, 12:30:49 PM

Where am i best posting this stuff? should i start a Damtoys thread in general or in Toy Lines?

Halichoeres

Quote from: CollectioNeo on February 15, 2019, 12:40:03 PM

Where am i best posting this stuff? should i start a Damtoys thread in general or in Toy Lines?

I think you're posting in the appropriate place! I am just saying that it ended up being a 2019 release in the end.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CollectioNeo

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 15, 2019, 12:48:52 PM
Quote from: CollectioNeo on February 15, 2019, 12:40:03 PM

I think you're posting in the appropriate place! I am just saying that it ended up being a 2019 release in the end.

Ah i see lol! It's sadly a part of the statue world but when a piece comes out this good it's worth it ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's nice to see they are still in business and producing things.  I actually had an idea, they are basing production on pre-orders, they only enter production when enough are sold of a certain piece. Sound right?

CollectioNeo

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2019, 05:21:09 PM
It's nice to see they are still in business and producing things.  I actually had an idea, they are basing production on pre-orders, they only enter production when enough are sold of a certain piece. Sound right?

It doesn't actually work like that, usually they either set an Edition Size and make that amount or they take orders up until the piece goes into production.

When a piece goes into production can vary, they sometimes do wait until they hit a certain number or it's just until the chosen factory becomes available. There aren't a lot of factories in China that can actually do high end collectibles like these so those few that can handle pretty much all the statue companies around so they have queues for items to go into production and usually those companies that pay more get higher int he queue faster.

Once production starts that's the number that is made. If all goes well and they are happy with the factories produced pieces they are shipped. It usually takes about 3 months for production but of course there is time when the pieces aren't up to scratch so they have to go back into production, this is usually where delays occur.

Add on a month or 2 then for shipping and distribution too. :)

CollectioNeo

Spent more time with him and took my pictures. I really love what Damtoys have done here, it's just a beautiful piece with such fine details, i don't think my pics do it justice to be honest.

The Smilodon sculpt is great, i'm no expert and it might not be super accurate but it's aesthetically super pleasing, oozing with details and it has a great fur sculpt which can be so hard to get right.

The base is just glorious, i love the clear resin water effect all the little plants and details are brilliant.

Comparing to the prototype though the paint on the Smilodon overall could be better, it seems to have a lost that soft look which really made the sculpt look like fur that the prototype had, maybe it's the brighter colour...it's not a bad paint job by any means but it isn't as good as the prototype, it's lost abit of that realism it had.

Also the eyes have been changed, they seemed to have a bigger iris on the proto, here we have a large yellow eye with a black pupil which looks to be more akin to a Tiger which of course totally works and it does give the statue a little bit more intensity which i do like.

In fact the whole thing seems to have been "tigered up" which the more orange paint scheme and the change to the eyes, i like it, others might not.

For $225 i think it's real bargain for what you get and i doubt we'll see prices this low for this quality again....yes it's not at proto levels when it comes to the paints on the Smilodon itself but i'd say it was about 90% there which is in the parameters for myself and the base is super on point, i'm really happy with him overall.

Regarding the weight it's too heavy lol no idea why they made it this heavy. In fact i'm probably going to display him without the plinth, it doesn't add much apart from more weight and it's easier to display him with out it.

Pics.

CollectioNeo

CollectioNeo

CollectioNeo

Will do a video review when i can and will post it here too. Happy to answer any questions :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: