News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rarest Carnegies

Started by PaleoMatt, November 26, 2017, 01:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaleoMatt

It's been nearly 3 years now since Carnegie retired, what figures are now the rarest and most sought after? The rarest that I personally own are the Fighting Dilophosaurs.

Lanthanotus

Some are still available here in Germany, even some that have been retired years ago (at least I think so.... like that old, flat lying Pteranodon and others), most are newer models though. Other Carnegies never have been easily available here, as said Dilophosaurus pair or the Protoceratops. Those, together with the Deinonychus pack I'd deem the rarest, but that's just me.

BrontoScorpio

I personaly would have liked to have the big Brachiosaurus 1st gray version.

Joey

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on November 26, 2017, 03:10:19 PM
I personaly would have liked to have the big Brachiosaurus 1st gray version.
All of the 1st issuance (with the purplish hue to them, and being made out of a softer rubbery material) figures are the rarest from the Carnegie line.

BrontoScorpio

Yes, maybe -
but some are just so horrible - I wouldn't let them in.
others I already have -  so I'm looking for the Brac. to balance the Apatosaurus on the shelve

BlueKrono

For sure the original, bland color ones from the first year, 1988. I would also agree the Brachio is probably the rarest, and not just because I have it. It took me so many years to even find one for sale, and I paid top dollar for it. It is really an amazing figure, and is a great counterpiece to the brighter green one.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Shonisaurus

For me one of the most difficult dinosaurs to find was the oviraptor with rank (I call it oviraptor female) of Carnegie that was discontinued in a very short time, thanks to Dinolord a year ago through a bank transfer I was able to get that beauty and piece weird.

In short it is the Carnegie oviraptor of 2005. I found it impossible to find it and thanks to the management I repeat of Dinolord I bought it by bank transfer a year ago. I am eternally grateful. He is a very cool and surprising figure as much as his 2007 oviraptor.  8)  :)

The first oviraptor of 2004 is honestly hard to find even on eBay and for me it is a real gem it is amazing.  :)

amargasaurus cazaui

The dilophosaur pair I probably have twenty of each version ....for some odd reason. As far as general figures that are seemingly tougher to get or pricing higher one that has  crawled up there is psittacosaurus....although I have quite a stash of them myself
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ceratopsian

I couldn't find the Styracosaurus here in the UK and eventually picked one up on eBay in the US. It was reasonably priced but of course postage was high.  To my surprise, I saw one for sale yesterday at a local rock and fossil fair, along with a few other Carnegies. None that I was looking for though!

Halichoeres

The ones that spent the least time on the market are probably rarest. So the 2014 Tyrannosaurus and 2015 Velociraptor will probably eventually be pretty hard to find, just like the earliest gray versions of the debut models. Or anything that was discontinued after just a few years, like the Sinraptor, Psittacosaurus, or the 2003 Velociraptor.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Moodyraptor

Well, I've just been trying without success to find a carnegie camarasaurus for less than £130.  So put that one on the list!

Pachyallosaurus

The smilodon and Australopithicus pair, the sinraptor, the deinonychus, the protoceratops, the psittacosaurus, the "female" oviraptor, the old maiasaura, the old dimetrodon, the styracosaurus, and the 2015 feathered velociraptor.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Moodyraptor on December 03, 2017, 02:54:48 PM
Well, I've just been trying without success to find a carnegie camarasaurus for less than £130.  So put that one on the list!
'

That's bananas. I may have a spare, I can take a look in my storeroom if you like.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Moodyraptor

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 03, 2017, 08:38:04 PM
Quote from: Moodyraptor on December 03, 2017, 02:54:48 PM
'

That's bananas. I may have a spare, I can take a look in my storeroom if you like.

Thank you for the offer!  I did manage to find one at a reasonable price, though.  Took a bit of searching  :)

PhilSauria

Well I've been trying to track down the Psittacosaurus without much success, so maybe by that criteria it could be added to the rare list. Came across one once in the last wave of searches but it was priced at more than I was prepared to pay. Haven't seen it since.

Joey

Quote from: PhilSauria on December 07, 2017, 03:16:09 AM
Well I've been trying to track down the Psittacosaurus without much success, so maybe by that criteria it could be added to the rare list. Came across one once in the last wave of searches but it was priced at more than I was prepared to pay. Haven't seen it since.
Here's one on Ebay with tag for a relatively low price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Carnegie-Collection-Psittacosaurus-Dinosaur-1998-Safari-Ltd-NWT/192380900859?hash=item2ccacb95fb:g:5R4AAOSwRIRZgPW6

PhilSauria

Thanks for the find - did not come up in a search I did just before posting, just to make sure these hadn't suddenly become available somehow; and maybe it was excluded from my search because I was searching from Australia and the listing states that it ships to the US and 'may not' ship to Australia?, which in my experience either means that they don't, or if they do the shipping is way too expensive. In any case I am about to head off on vacation and will have limited internet access to ask a question of the seller that I probably know the answer to. I'm amazed that I have acquired as much of a collection as I have being based in Aus, (and there's no way I'd even contemplate adding up how much this has cost me in shipping over the years!!).

Joey

Quote from: PhilSauria on December 07, 2017, 06:26:26 AM
Thanks for the find - did not come up in a search I did just before posting, just to make sure these hadn't suddenly become available somehow; and maybe it was excluded from my search because I was searching from Australia and the listing states that it ships to the US and 'may not' ship to Australia?, which in my experience either means that they don't, or if they do the shipping is way too expensive. In any case I am about to head off on vacation and will have limited internet access to ask a question of the seller that I probably know the answer to. I'm amazed that I have acquired as much of a collection as I have being based in Aus, (and there's no way I'd even contemplate adding up how much this has cost me in shipping over the years!!).
That's weird, when I searched 'carnegie psittacosaurus' on Ebay Australia, the same listing came up for $17.07 Australian dollars with, get this, free postage!
I am going to give a new link of the same listing but from Ebay Australia:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/The-Carnegie-Collection-Psittacosaurus-Dinosaur-1998-Safari-Ltd-NWT/192380900859?hash=item2ccacb95fb:g:5R4AAOSwRIRZgPW6

PhilSauria

Yeah, that is odd. Not sure why I drew a blank. Still says 'may not send to Aus', not getting the free postage. As I am about to head off to the airport guess I'll just have to leave it for another day and another search. Thanks though for following it up.

Joey

Quote from: PhilSauria on December 07, 2017, 07:19:45 AM
Yeah, that is odd. Not sure why I drew a blank. Still says 'may not send to Aus', not getting the free postage. As I am about to head off to the airport guess I'll just have to leave it for another day and another search. Thanks though for following it up.
You are very most welcome! ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: