News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brontozaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 05, 2013, 01:47:39 PM
Having recently rewatched the original WWD series, it's easy to forget how wooden some of the animation was back then. The fluidity and quality of animation in the WWD3D trailer is miles ahead, superior to the original series in every way. Except for the story, which looks a bit uninspired and predictable. I hope I'm wrong on that.

The animation in WWD may not have aged well but I still find that it works. There's more than a few scenes where the age of the CGI is beaten by the overall composition of the scene. Like there's this one short bit in episode 4 where a Polacanthus walks by the camera in a low shot against the open sky. It's like the BBC took their experience in making nature docos and applied it to digitally created animals.

Also, back on the topic of Disney's Dinosaur, I read somewhere that the lemurs were added so that the audience would have something to relate to among all the dinosaurs.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Takama

Quote from: Brontozaurus on May 06, 2013, 03:42:36 AM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 05, 2013, 01:47:39 PM
Having recently rewatched the original WWD series, it's easy to forget how wooden some of the animation was back then. The fluidity and quality of animation in the WWD3D trailer is miles ahead, superior to the original series in every way. Except for the story, which looks a bit uninspired and predictable. I hope I'm wrong on that.

The animation in WWD may not have aged well but I still find that it works. There's more than a few scenes where the age of the CGI is beaten by the overall composition of the scene. Like there's this one short bit in episode 4 where a Polacanthus walks by the camera in a low shot against the open sky. It's like the BBC took their experience in making nature docos and applied it to digitally created animals.

Also, back on the topic of Disney's Dinosaur, I read somewhere that the lemurs were added so that the audience would have something to relate to among all the dinosaurs.

I was afraid of that. Still a Rediculus decision     Do we humans seriusly need to another Primate to relate to in those Movies?

ChrisLikesDinos

I was surprised to see the mesh/texture of the 3D models in WWD series clipping when some dinosaurs walked..It became super distracting.

scallenger

Check it out, here is some of the music used in the WWD 3D trailer. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5aPDQbDEmo
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Balaur

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Roselaar

The first trailer arrived at work (I have a job in a movie theater) this week. I think we can expect to see it on the big screen very soon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Roselaar on May 11, 2013, 02:45:26 PM
The first trailer arrived at work (I have a job in a movie theater) this week. I think we can expect to see it on the big screen very soon.

Cool. A little early as I think the release date was December if I recall correctly. :?

Roselaar

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 11, 2013, 05:37:43 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on May 11, 2013, 02:45:26 PM

Cool. A little early as I think the release date was December if I recall correctly. :?

Yeah, it might take a while before they program this trailer in front of an appropriate (family) movie, but at least the trailer is already available, so we might get an early surprise in theaters.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: scallenger on May 07, 2013, 08:46:00 PM
Check it out, here is some of the music used in the WWD 3D trailer. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5aPDQbDEmo
This is a cool song! It is also the music in the trailer for Titans of the Ice Age.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Patrx

Wait, is this supposed to be Troodon?

It looks like it has the same issues as the deinonychosaurs from Planet Dinosaur. Really strange lizard-like heads with feathers awkwardly stuck on  :-\ I'm quite disappointed.

scallenger

I wonder why both Tim Haines and Jasper James were not involved with this production at all, it seems? Anyone happen to know? I mean, those two guys basically created the entire original series (even the spin-offs, except for Prehistoric Park and Walking With Cavemen, if I'm not mistaken). Seems odd that they basically just sold it off for an Americanized version to be made without any input from them.

I think that's probably why this just does not FEEL like anything from the original series, despite how good it looks as it's own thing. It just doesn't have that Tim Haines/Jasper James feeling to it. The dinosaurs in the original series also were a bit more realistic in their expressions, to be honest. More animal-like with less human-like emotion on them. I'm sure that's what was asked when animating them, but it's definitely something I've observed when comparing the trailer.

I'm still rooting for a Kenneth Branagh narration! Although I think it just isn't going to happen. :( If anything, that added quality would definitely help make this feel like it's part of the series (such as Walking With Monsters... which had some strange directorial decisions and other odd changes in structure, despite being the same producers... without the same narrator it probably wouldn't feel like a companion as much to "Dinosaurs" and "Beasts" that it was intended).

It's again interesting to note that Jasper James actually went on to be involved with "March of the Dinosaurs" from the BBC, which seems to share some similarities to this production, despite that one being an all-CGI affair (that includes environments).

Btw... a bit off-topic, but I have a theory now that the future release of this film will lead to a re-release of the original series on DVD (and HOPEFULLY BluRay). Evidence? For the U.S. crowd, look up the series on Amazon. All of the entries in the series (except I think a couple of the spinoffs and boxed sets) are no longer in-print or available to buy on Amazon except for overpriced options from Amazon sellers. I'm sure as we get closer to the release date of the new film that this will change, and hopefully offer us new extras and transfers. Maybe new releases of the soundtracks, too (which have been out of print for some time)!
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Simon

I believe that it is supposed to be a baby Albertosaurus...

CityRaptor

Definately looks like some sort of Baby Theropod.

@Scallenger: So far we only have a short trailer. Kinda early to say that it does not feel like the original WWD.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Hermes888

I can't take the mammal-like eyes seriously. I know it's supposed to draw the audience closer to the dinosaurs, but all it does is drive me further from them. They look kind of alien now...

Yutyrannus

Quote from: CityRaptor on May 12, 2013, 04:27:58 PM

@Scallenger: So far we only have a short trailer. Kinda early to say that it does not feel like the original WWD.
It's the Hesperonychus.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Hermes888 on May 12, 2013, 05:13:05 PM
I can't take the mammal-like eyes seriously. I know it's supposed to draw the audience closer to the dinosaurs, but all it does is drive me further from them. They look kind of alien now...

The eyes look pretty avian to me really.

CityRaptor

I think he refers to the fact that he can see what appears to  be the white of the eyeballs. Which is generally seen in mammals, but not most other vertebrates.

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 12, 2013, 07:00:46 PM

It's the Hesperonychus.

Oh.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Balaur

Quote from: Yutyrannus on May 12, 2013, 07:00:46 PM

It's the Hesperonychus.

Are you sure? It looks way too big to be one. I think it's Troodon.

Patrx

The face doesn't look bad for a baby tyrannosaur - so I'm hoping that's what it is.

Generally, birds (and some other reptiles) can't move their eyes very much. I suppose for an animated feature with no narration, it makes sense to make them more expressive. I have to say, I'd much have preferred an updated version of the TV series.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: