News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scallenger

In a way, Patrx, I'm glad that isn't what we got. It leaves the original series that much more original and untouched. I do still hope they re-issue the original series in high definition (I don't mean re-done effects... just higher image quality of the existing ones).
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Takama

What is the fuss with white in dinosaur eyes.    Sereiurusly. Some  Macaws have white in there eyes

Balaur

Quote from: Patrx on May 12, 2013, 09:47:33 PM
The face doesn't look bad for a baby tyrannosaur - so I'm hoping that's what it is.

Generally, birds (and some other reptiles) can't move their eyes very much. I suppose for an animated feature with no narration, it makes sense to make them more expressive. I have to say, I'd much have preferred an updated version of the TV series.

Same here. I want an updated version so bad... So, so bad...

Hermes888

I'm referring to this, amongst other scenes in the trailer.

I mean, I know why they gave them more mammalian eyes, but it just looks... weird. I didn't really notice it until the picture was posted though.
Maybe it's the cartoonishly large size of the eyes, or the really weird feather pattern, but this is the one part of the trailer that bothers me.

Patrx

Quote from: scallenger on May 12, 2013, 10:56:37 PM
In a way, Patrx, I'm glad that isn't what we got. It leaves the original series that much more original and untouched. I do still hope they re-issue the original series in high definition (I don't mean re-done effects... just higher image quality of the existing ones).

Oh, I agree! I ought to have been more particular with my word choice - I'd like to see a continuation of the old show, not a re-make. Same format, same tone, but new creatures, settings and stories. Also, as neat as an HD re-release would be, I'm not convinced that the effects would quite hold up at that resolution.

Quote from: Hermes888 on May 13, 2013, 01:09:07 AM
I mean, I know why they gave them more mammalian eyes, but it just looks... weird. I didn't really notice it until the picture was posted though.
Maybe it's the cartoonishly large size of the eyes, or the really weird feather pattern, but this is the one part of the trailer that bothers me.

It doesn't help that the eyes appear to be aimed in two different directions.

scallenger

Quote from: Patrx on May 13, 2013, 04:35:25 AM
Oh, I agree! I ought to have been more particular with my word choice - I'd like to see a continuation of the old show, not a re-make. Same format, same tone, but new creatures, settings and stories. Also, as neat as an HD re-release would be, I'm not convinced that the effects would quite hold up at that resolution.

Ah, well that's a horse of a different color then! A continuation would be fantastic. But it seems like the original creators have completely moved on from it all. Hell, after WWD was over, they focused instead on creating the television BBC version of "Primeval", which is apparently over with now due to not high enough ratings/huge costs of the show. And while Jasper James was involved with "March of the Dinosaurs", that movie was as much of a departure as this 3D one is. So... it seems fair to say that same format/feeling the original series and spinoffs had is pretty much extinct now. (bad pun, sorry).

As for the HD reissue... I would still love it to be able to see the landscapes in higher definition. That would be lovely! Such beautiful locations! Also, even moreso, they could remix the audio to be 5.1 surround sound (ALL of their programs were mixed in standard 2.0 audio, which makes sense for the time since it was just standard audio for a television show back then).

tyrantqueen

I'm thinking it's "Walking With Dinosaurs" in name only, sort of like a homage to the original series.

About the mammalian eyes thing- I don't really care. It's pretty obvious from the trailer that there's going to be some anthropomorphism involved again. Mammalian eyes help with that anthropomorphism.
I would have preferred for there to be no humanisation involved but I think accuracy has to be sacrificed in storytelling (especially in Hollywood type movies).

And everyone knows that big bambi style eyes are good for making the audience feel sympathetic towards the character:

ZoPteryx

The face doesn't look bad for a baby tyrannosaur - so I'm hoping that's what it is.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure its intended to be Troodon.  You can see (briefly) in the commercial that it's got fairly long arms and pennaceous tail feathers, and someone (Scott Hartman?) made a comment on dA about being disappointed with the Troodon's scaly faces. :-\

Patrx

Quote from: Zopteryx on May 13, 2013, 07:09:36 PM
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure its intended to be Troodon.  You can see (briefly) in the commercial that it's got fairly long arms and pennaceous tail feathers, and someone (Scott Hartman?) made a comment on dA about being disappointed with the Troodon's scaly faces. :-\

Well, that is legitimately disappointing  :-\ Mind you, I tend to judge programs like these largely based on their use of feathers, but really, why skimp on feathering Troodon? Troodonts are possibly the most birdlike nonavian dinosaurs ever. Besides, it's not as though they've got a lot of cultural hangups, like with scaly Velociraptors.

amargasaurus cazaui

Is there any direct evidence to support feathers for the Troodons so far? I understand the logic suggesting they were feathered, but has any evidence been given so far?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Simon

It has to be a baby Albertosaurus - Maybe the little one ripped a hole in its frill that we see in the adult animal (which also fights an Albertosaur).  So it makes sense that the two episodes tie-in.

At least I hope so, because that is NO Troodon no matter how you imagine it!

Patrx

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 13, 2013, 08:56:02 PM
Is there any direct evidence to support feathers for the Troodons so far? I understand the logic suggesting they were feathered, but has any evidence been given so far?

Direct, as in fossil impressions? You bet! Anchiornis and Jinfengopteryx show extensive feathers :) Troodon itself, however, hasn't been found in deposits that preserve feathers well.

Quote from: Simon on May 13, 2013, 09:24:57 PM
It has to be a baby Albertosaurus - Maybe the little one ripped a hole in its frill that we see in the adult animal (which also fights an Albertosaur).  So it makes sense that the two episodes tie-in.

At least I hope so, because that is NO Troodon no matter how you imagine it!

I hope you're right! But those teeth look suspiciously troodontoid  :(

Balaur

I don't understand why everyone is so upset. We should be glad that at least we can see the feathers nearly all over the body of the Troodon. Also, it actually has wings, unlike Planet Dinosaurs where it was wingless and featherless. This Troodon has way more feathers than in Planet Dinosaur. It is overall more accurate. I can see with people that they might be upset with a scaly face, but that isn't enough to judge an entire film on yet. I am a little upset with scaly faced Troodons and featherless Gorgosaurus, though we are unsure wether feathers even existed on the latter.

Regardless I'm still excited for the movie. The Troodon actually looks cool minus the scaly face. Also, it could be a budget thing. Lets not loose hope on the film yet. Remember, this is only the first trailer.

Simon

I think we will be blown away by this film, based on the trailers so far.  I think there is a lot of frustrated nit-picking going on here on this thread (the frustration being driven by having to wait for the movie).  Yeah, I'd like to see it tomorrow too.  In an IMAX theater.   ;)

DeadToothCrackKnuckle

Well, at least now we know where the voice actor comes in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbXhcE63sG0&feature=share

But I am glad to see the Chirostenotes! Love the blue!

©Julius T. Csotonyi

scallenger

Yeah... I dunno about the voice thing. It could end up like a Milo and Otis kind of thing. Which I loved that kind of thing as a kid. But... nowadays? I dunno. Still wanna see this, though. But this proves once and for all this truly is Walking With Dinosaurs IN NAME ONLY!

tyrantqueen

Ugh...the narration reminds me of that terrible Speckles the Tarbosaurus film :/ Is this just narration for the trailer, or is the entire film going to be narrated? Sorry, it just doesn't work for me to have some young "hip" sounding guy narrate something like this. It meshes badly with the realistic style.

It seems like the film makers (again) are struggling to decide between anthropomorphism and realism.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: scallenger on May 26, 2013, 03:42:09 AM
Yeah... I dunno about the voice thing. It could end up like a Milo and Otis kind of thing. Which I loved that kind of thing as a kid. But... nowadays? I dunno. Still wanna see this, though. But this proves once and for all this truly is Walking With Dinosaurs IN NAME ONLY!

And that's it exactly. As a kid you loved this kind of thing and it made sense to you. This film is being geared toward younger kids, not adults.  Not complaining just stating the truth.

I plan to go see it and take some of the kids here with me..maybe further their love of Dinosaurs.

Simon

I like it!  The narration will keep the little ones interested by giving the dinos personality, but the dinos won't be talking (like in Disney) so we grown-ups can enjoy the action.

It would be cool if the DVD had a feature where you could turn off the narration and just watch (and listen) to the action ...

Balaur

I don't think the guy voicing the thoughts of the dinosaurs will be actually voicing them. From what I heard, Charlie Rowe voices the main dinosaur, and Angouire Rice also voicing. I think its just voicing their thoughts though. I think it will be limited to. I almost screamed in anger when that stupid guy began narrating. I agree with tyrantqueen. I don't want any young "hip" guy narrating this. Still, Chirostenotes is appearing! Excited!  ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: