News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scallenger

Quote from: Simon on May 26, 2013, 05:15:15 AM
It would be cool if the DVD had a feature where you could turn off the narration and just watch (and listen) to the action ...

YES! That would be the best of both worlds for people to have that option on the DVD/BLU! I hope they see this forum post and implement it. Honestly, I see no reason NOT TO have this option. It should be a VERY easy thing to include.

Otherwise... we'll just have THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmuDLpzTdBY
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

scallenger

Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I thinking the human involvement with the acting was just the narration now.

Even with a bit of narration it still looks like a good film. I'll certainly go check it out in December.

Balaur

No Humans! YES!!!!

I just watched that trailer, and I am SOOOOOO excited for this film. I remember when I was upset that it's not Walking with Dinosaurs style movie, but that is behind me. I just saw in the trailer when the Troodon grabbing the baby Pachyrhinosaurus in slow motion, I thought it was real. (By the tail, as it began to run in slow motion I saw the distinctive sickle claw of Troodon, so it is Troodon) Also, did I see a Hesperonychus in the forest? Awesome if it is! not only is there accurate feathered dinosaurs in theatres for the first time, but they look real!

I am getting more excited now! December is so far away though.....  :( But it'll be worth the wait I think.

Everything_Dinosaur

The feature length film due for release this December is based on the Late Cretaceous fauna of North America and dinosaur migration, details and trailer for WWD film here: http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2013/05/03/walking-with-dinosaurs-3-d-movie-trailer.html

Hope this helps.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on July 13, 2013, 07:50:31 AM
The feature length film due for release this December is based on the Late Cretaceous fauna of North America and dinosaur migration, details and trailer for WWD film here: http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2013/05/03/walking-with-dinosaurs-3-d-movie-trailer.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks E_D, but you're a little late to the party ;D This thread is several pages long already ;)

Everything_Dinosaur

Always late when it comes to things like this, we did have some details of the original scripts and work done by BBC 3-D somewhere but things like this are never to hand when you need them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on July 13, 2013, 12:08:14 PM
Always late when it comes to things like this, we did have some details of the original scripts and work done by BBC 3-D somewhere but things like this are never to hand when you need them.

Some detailed dinosaur designs from the film would be nice..and/or storyboards. :)

Balaur

Okay, well, it isn't as scaly faced as we thought. It looks super beautiful though. That has to be the most realistic feathered dinosaur I've ever seen. That was the best part of the Japanese trailer, when that Troodon plucked the baby Pachyrhinosaurus in beautiful slow motion and in slow motion runs in place for a second. That was pure beauty.

Everything_Dinosaur

Could the Dromaeosaur attack be the reason why in the film this dinosaur grows up with a deformed crest, with only fenestra devoid of skin?  Think the film makers had to come up with a reason to make the central character stand out from the herd somewhat.

Protoceratops

I have to admit, I saw the trailer again when I went to the cinema the other day but this time in 3-D! The trailer at least was all that subtle sort of 3-D where depth is implied - here's hoping there's no dinosaurs "coming out" of the screen though in the movie...I find that awfully cheesy and takes you out of the film.
But everything looked even more impressive on the big screen! It's going to be an absolutely gorgeous looking movie at least.

tyrantqueen

Might be the camera angle, but that troodon (or whatever it is) looks ugly. It must have mange or something. The feathers look glued on.

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on July 14, 2013, 02:59:23 PM
Might be the camera angle, but that troodon (or whatever it is) looks ugly. It must have mange or something. The feathers look glued on.

Alas, I agree. Still not happy with that design, I'm afraid. It does have quite a scaly face, and (presumably because of its villainous role) it looks unduly monstrous and reptillian. I can't tell from that angle weather the wings are right.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on July 14, 2013, 08:10:49 AM
Could the Dromaeosaur attack be the reason why in the film this dinosaur grows up with a deformed crest, with only fenestra devoid of skin?  Think the film makers had to come up with a reason to make the central character stand out from the herd somewhat.

Sounds quite likely to me. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 14, 2013, 05:00:28 PM
Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on July 14, 2013, 08:10:49 AM

Sounds quite likely to me. :)

It's hard giving some character and keeping an animal mostly realistic. Usually it's some sort of wound or damage. With ceratopsians it's usually the horns..I applaud them for doing something at least a  bit more original.

Hermes888

The Troodon doesn't look nearly as scaly-faced or cartoonishly proportioned now, I wonder whether they changed it since the first trailer, or that one scene was just a really bad shot that didn't do the dinosaur justice.

Aside from the film itself, I hope it does really well and feathered dinosaurs catch on in popular culture.

Balaur

Quote from: Hermes888 on July 14, 2013, 05:55:20 PM
The Troodon doesn't look nearly as scaly-faced or cartoonishly proportioned now, I wonder whether they changed it since the first trailer, or that one scene was just a really bad shot that didn't do the dinosaur justice.

Aside from the film itself, I hope it does really well and feathered dinosaurs catch on in popular culture.

That's what I thought too. I have to kind of agree with others here. The Troodon does look shrink wrapped. However, I think people are just taking that and saying that the Troodon is horrible. I disagree. Scott Hartman, who was a consultant for the movie said that there was not a moment that the production team ignored or did not care about the science. So I trust that the the primaries are on the second finger. Scott does also say that this is the most accurate depiction of dinosaur on screen.
If anyone want to use my words against me, that was an argument from authority.  :))
(I kid, I kid, no one will use my words against me)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Balaur on July 14, 2013, 06:07:32 PM
Quote from: Hermes888 on July 14, 2013, 05:55:20 PM

That's what I thought too. I have to kind of agree with others here. The Troodon does look shrink wrapped. However, I think people are just taking that and saying that the Troodon is horrible. I disagree. Scott Hartman, who was a consultant for the movie said that there was not a moment that the production team ignored or did not care about the science. So I trust that the the primaries are on the second finger. Scott does also say that this is the most accurate depiction of dinosaur on screen.
If anyone want to use my words against me, that was an argument from authority.  :))
(I kid, I kid, no one will use my words against me)
What are you talking about? I said the troodon looks ugly because that's how I feel. It has nothing to do with Scott Hartman or anything else.

Just looking at real birds shows how this model could be improved. In every species of bird, the feathers don't lie flat against the body

They puff out and engulf the skeleton. I feel this is a problem with many feathered dinosaur reconstructions. In nearly every species of bird, you'd be surprised at the skeleton because they look nothing like the bird does when we see it with a full coat of feathers :)

Maybe it could be argued that since this animal is not a fully evolved bird, the feathers wouldn't be so developed. But I don't know...

No offense to anyone involved in this film, but looking at the troodon reminds me of this

QuoteScott Hartman, who was a consultant for the movie said that there was not a moment that the production team ignored or did not care about the science.
What the gorgosaurus? Shouldn't it have protofuzz or feathers?

However, I really liked the feathers on this guy

Troodon should have looked more like this :(

Balaur

I misinturpreted what you and other people said about Troodon, so I'll say that upfront. I do think that the Troodon in the movie does look gorgeous, but it needs more feathers, and be less shrink wrapped. I am mostly satisfied with the Troodon though.

Gwangi

Some birds do look shrink wrapped themselves though, I'll use flamingos as an example. The Troodon is one of the better interpretation I've seen at least on film but overall I agree that these dinosaurs that are the closest relatives of birds should really look more like birds than lizards in feather costumes. There are a few artists who do it good but I cannot recall them offhand. John Conway is one, his Deinonychus looks how the animal probably did.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: