News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

How exactly does the story of Pixarsaur sound any better? Sounds like a generic buddy movie at best. Not to mention, it looks terrible.
Also just because something is popular does not mean it is good. Look at Schleich Dinosaurs. 

Therefore WWD3D is the lesser evil.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

postsaurischian

I'm sure I will love the 'Good Dinosaur' :).
I'm sure I won't like 'Jurassic World', just like to me every Jurassic Park movie is crap ;D.  ..... Holly-lolly-lolly-woody-woody-pecker-pecker .....

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 30, 2013, 01:45:59 PM
How exactly does the story of Pixarsaur sound any better? Sounds like a generic buddy movie at best. Not to mention, it looks terrible.
Also just because something is popular does not mean it is good. Look at Schleich Dinosaurs. 

Therefore WWD3D is the lesser evil.
I hope The Good Dinosaur blows WWD out the water and proves you wrong.

I only feel sorry for you because you obviously can't appreciate movies for more than their looks. You don't even address any of my arguments, you just keep repeating the same reasons over and over again (the human child, the pet dinosaur etc etc)

QuoteI'm sure I won't like 'Jurassic World', just like to me every Jurassic Park movie is crap
Did you like the original? :) I liked it, but I understand JP movies are not for everyone.

postsaurischian

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 30, 2013, 03:41:07 PM
QuoteI'm sure I won't like 'Jurassic World', just like to me every Jurassic Park movie is crap
Did you like the original? :) I liked it, but I understand JP movies are not for everyone.

No, I didn't. I probably would have liked it 10 years earlier, but I think I was already a bit too old for it.
I would still prefer watching 'Caprona' ;D.

Hermes888

I don't want to get too off topic here, but considering Pixar's previous track record, The Good Dinosaur will probably be good too. And why are the "poor visuals" a problem, storyline and characters are far more important! And you can't even judge the visuals yet, as all we've seen so far is concept art.
I liked Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park, but I really dislike Jurassic Park III. If it's even somewhat better than the third installment, I'll be very happy with Jurassic World.
In terms of upcoming dinosaur films, Walking With Dinosaurs is at the bottom. The story is completely generic, the voiceovers seem to be almost as obnoxious as Speckles, and really the only thing going for it is good visuals, which never make a good film.

Roselaar

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 29, 2013, 04:22:12 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on September 29, 2013, 01:26:01 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 28, 2013, 07:39:59 PM
Wow..1500 for that ? Is it animated ?

Not sure. Doesn't look like it. I think it's just hideously expensive. Tomorrow I'll know for sure, if all goes as planned.

I figured maybe the eye looks around and it has sfx.  Hmm..maybe it's just HUGE. Trying to give the viewer the feeling their as small as the hero.

It was assembled today. Now I know why it cost so much. It's ENORMOUS for one thing, some 3x2.5x1 metres. For another, the eye (which is made of plastic) actually MOVES and seems to track you as you pass by. This is quite simply one of the most awesome standees I have ever seen. Hopefully I'll get to provide some good pics/vids of it in action soon. I so wish I could take this one home with me and put it on display, but it's just way too big and we'll probably have to return it anyway... probably for the better!  :))

If only the movie would be as fabulous as this piece of promotional material...  :-\

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice. I had figured it had to have a cool gimmick for that price. 

It would be cool to have just the eye area..mount it behind a broken crate facade or faux plants at your house.. ;)

Roselaar

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 30, 2013, 10:42:53 PM

It would be cool to have just the eye area..mount it behind a broken crate facade or faux plants at your house.. ;)

And who's gonna pay the electric bill to keep the eye movement action going?!  :P

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Hermes888 on September 30, 2013, 08:30:26 PM
I don't want to get too off topic here, but considering Pixar's previous track record, The Good Dinosaur will probably be good too. And why are the "poor visuals" a problem, storyline and characters are far more important! And you can't even judge the visuals yet, as all we've seen so far is concept art.
I liked Jurassic Park and The Lost World: Jurassic Park, but I really dislike Jurassic Park III. If it's even somewhat better than the third installment, I'll be very happy with Jurassic World.
In terms of upcoming dinosaur films, Walking With Dinosaurs is at the bottom. The story is completely generic, the voiceovers seem to be almost as obnoxious as Speckles, and really the only thing going for it is good visuals, which never make a good film.
Agreed :)

JP3 was definitely controversial (I didn't like it myself), let's hope Jurassic World is a step in the right direction for the franchise.

Gwangi

I've grown to like JP3. When I first saw it I was pretty pissed off but in recent years I would say I've grown to like it more than TLW:JP. As opposed to TLW:JP JP3 does not take itself to seriously. The action is pretty consistent, the dinosaurs diverse and frequent. It is nice to see Sam Neil again and William H. Macy is always fun to watch. All of the characters in JP3 were better than the cast of TLW:JP, most of which I couldn't stand. That said, I loved TLW:JP when it came out in 1997.

As for "The Good Dinosaur", there is no reason to think that movie will be a flop. Most Pixar movies like "Toy Story" and "Finding Nemo" are universally acclaimed with approval ratings of 100% and 99% on Rotten Tomatoes (a review collection web site). Even their less popular films like "Brave" and "Cars" still hold a 78% and 74% approval rating. The only Pixar film that you could say was a flop was "Cars 2" which was an obvious cash grab, it holds a 39% approval rating. So all in all you have 14 Pixar films released to date, all but one hold over a 70% approval rating from critics. Only 4 Pixar films have scored a rating less than 90%. So based on that, how can anyone possibly assume that "The Good Dinosaur" will be a flop, or a bad movie? You can't, and to dismiss a movie from a company of such high standing before the trailer is even released is ridiculous.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Roselaar on September 30, 2013, 11:13:53 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 30, 2013, 10:42:53 PM

And who's gonna pay the electric bill to keep the eye movement action going?!  :P

You only turn it on when your home or want to show it off.. ;)   lol

tyrantqueen

QuoteAs for "The Good Dinosaur", there is no reason to think that movie will be a flop. Most Pixar movies like "Toy Story" and "Finding Nemo" are universally acclaimed with approval ratings of 100% and 99% on Rotten Tomatoes (a review collection web site). Even their less popular films like "Brave" and "Cars" still hold a 78% and 74% approval rating. The only Pixar film that you could say was a flop was "Cars 2" which was an obvious cash grab, it holds a 39% approval rating. So all in all you have 14 Pixar films released to date, all but one hold over a 70% approval rating from critics. Only 4 Pixar films have scored a rating less than 90%. So based on that, how can anyone possibly assume that "The Good Dinosaur" will be a flop, or a bad movie? You can't, and to dismiss a movie from a company of such high standing before the trailer is even released is ridiculous.
This :)

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 30, 2013, 07:54:10 AM
Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on September 30, 2013, 07:40:01 AM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 30, 2013, 06:00:10 AM
I'm reminded of two films when I watch this trailer- Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and Disney's Dinosaur. Neither of those films were financial successes (although they have a cult following).

I wouldn't have minded too much it was some random guy doing the narration, like Kenneth Branaugh or David Attenborough. I don't like the fact that they are using voiceovers for the main characters themselves. Do they think the audience is too dumb to figure things out without a voice over?

I'm not very hyped for this film to be honest. I am more excited for The Good Dinosaur and Jurassic Park IV, which I believe will be better (the former especially, being a Pixar film :) )

I also felt the voice of Spirit when I watched the trailer. However, I am really not excited when it comes to The Good Dinosaur; it has the potential to be a gigantic flop. Jurassic World, however, is a different matter entirely.....
May I ask....how? We haven't even seen a trailer for it. It's a Pixar film, and has more potential to be really good than a flop :) If any film is going to be a flop, it's WWD. Besides, Pixar is a popular brand name. Most people would watch it in cinemas because of that. If we're talking about potential here, wouldn't it be appropriate to say that WWD has the potential to be Speckles the Tarbosaurus But With a Bigger Budget (TM)?

I think it's funny how these two films (WWD and TGD) are sort of opposites of each other. WWD has more realistic dinos, but the story is laughable. TGD has more of a stylised art style (which will probably end up being attractive in its own way) but focuses more on story. I suppose it boils down to what each particular person prefers in a movie. I personally choose story development and character interaction over beautiful visuals.

I think it's unfair how people have bashed on The Good Dinosaur already when we haven't even seen a trailer.

Sorry, it just annoys me ::)

TQ, sorry for the late response. Thanks for speaking your mind (reasonably); it's fun to debate topics with other people and not have them get out of hand. That being said, it's obviously a matter of personal opinion (just like I see people saying that JW is going to be bad) that I think TGD will be a flop. I think it'll be a flop because even as a small child, I could clearly differentiate between "real" dinos in JP, (give me a break, I was 3) and "fake" dinos (which I would have classified an animated movie as). I think WWD and JW will be far more appealing, even to kids, and for that reason, those movies will be smash hits, and TGD will attract a very small crowd. On top of all that, you factor in the story line, which seems like crap, and other factors like "What? Another stupid caveman movie!?" Again, just personal opinion, and I'd love to hear your thoughts, TQ (and anyone else who thinks that I'm crazy wrong or right-I'd love to hear it). Thanks for the discussion.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

QuoteTQ, sorry for the late response. Thanks for speaking your mind (reasonably); it's fun to debate topics with other people and not have them get out of hand. That being said, it's obviously a matter of personal opinion (just like I see people saying that JW is going to be bad) that I think TGD will be a flop. I think it'll be a flop because even as a small child, I could clearly differentiate between "real" dinos in JP, (give me a break, I was 3) and "fake" dinos (which I would have classified an animated movie as).
Animated dinos? You mean like The Land Before Time? Oh yeah, that movie wasn't successful or good at all...

...wait.

QuoteI think WWD and JW will be far more appealing, even to kids, and for that reason, those movies will be smash hits, and TGD will attract a very small crowd. On top of all that, you factor in the story line, which seems like crap, and other factors like "What? Another stupid caveman movie!?"
I think the complete opposite. WWD will most likely be another Disney Dinosaur. It will only appeal to a small crowd, mostly dinosaur lovers. Because, honestly, what else does it have going for it?

And Jurassic World would most likely just be another film about killer dinosaurs, like the last two were. No-one watches JP for the story, let's be honest. And JP isn't strictly a kid's movie, anyway.

Gwangi's post explains perfectly why the film will not flop. There is nothing else I need to add. You've stated that you believe the film will flop, despite there being evidence to the contrary (such as Pixar's excellent track record of producing critical and financial successes)

If I come across as aggressive, then I apologise. I'm just fed up of people using the same arguments over and over again (the plot is lame, the dinosaurs are unrealistic etc etc) and not even addressing the fact that Pixar is made up of some genuinely talented people who have demonstrated they are very capable of making great stories :)

It's pretty sad when people have become so jaded that they have to tear a film to pieces because the dinosaurs are cartoony and stylised.

CityRaptor

If it were the visuals alone, I would maybe give Pixarsaur a try, but the story so far sounds like crap. Meanwhile WW3D atleast has nice visuals.
Since  some people are under the impression that I care more for visuals than story, let me show you part of a movie that was quite enjoyable, even if the visuals were not that good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBfGoy_YTuk

But yes, I expect Pixarsaur to be more succesfull, money-wise,  than WWD3D, but it won't be a better movie. Like I said popular =/= good.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

QuoteBut yes, I expect Pixarsaur to be more succesfull, money-wise,  than WWD3D, but it won't be a better movie. Like I said popular =/= good.
Pixar has arguably earned their popularity.

QuoteIf it were the visuals alone, I would maybe give Pixarsaur a try, but the story so far sounds like crap. Meanwhile WW3D atleast has nice visuals.
Yet again, you haven't addressed the point that WWD has a lame story. And really, TGD has bad visuals? How are they bad? Because they're not scientifically accurate?

And we haven't even seen a trailer for TGD, so there's no way of knowing how the film is going to look once it's fully animated. The storyboards are not a final product.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

TQ, thanks for responding. The only thing I'd contest in your reply is the bit about "using the same arguments"- I came a bit too late to this page, I guess, to use any "new" arguments. Regardless, I did the homework and read all the posts, and while I'm not fully convinced, I'll give it a shot. ;)
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on October 01, 2013, 07:22:38 PM
TQ, thanks for responding. The only thing I'd contest in your reply is the bit about "using the same arguments"- I came a bit too late to this page, I guess, to use any "new" arguments. Regardless, I did the homework and read all the posts, and while I'm not fully convinced, I'll give it a shot. ;)
Thanks to you as well. I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. To be honest, I'm rather tired of arguing about it.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 01, 2013, 07:24:35 PM
Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on October 01, 2013, 07:22:38 PM
Thanks to you as well. I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. To be honest, I'm rather tired of arguing about it.

I think that's the best thing said this whole time. Also, I don't think I should even critique TGD until I at least see a preview. That's just stupid. So, I eagerly await the preview....
-Peter Benchley

Gwangi

Many Pixar (and Disney) stories look dull and rehashed when condensed down to a few sentences or a paragraph. Take "Finding Nemo" for example...an uptight father looses his son and in his attempt to find him learns to loosen up and enjoy life. "A Bug's Life", a member of the working class is unsatisfied with his lot in life and ends up saving his oppressed "people" from their oppressor. "The Lion King"...basically it's "Hamlet". These stories have all been done before but these movies tell them in new and relevant ways; with interesting and often stylized visuals, likeable characters, great writing and dialogue. Also keep in mind that children are the target audience here, while us older people may have heard these stories...they likely have not. That said I'm sure Pixar will manage to make this story interesting for children and adults alike...just like they have with 99% of their other films.

As for visuals, how many animated movies don't use stylized visuals? The visuals for TGD are exactly what I would expect from Pixar. They're not making a documentary or even a summer blockbuster, they're making an animated childrens movie. One of the reasons I was excited for WWD is because it looked like something more than a kids movie. It looked like something educational that everyone would enjoy, an honest to goodness dinosaur documentary but upon seeing the latest trailer I can see what it really is. A kids movie. Pretty to look at but ultimately horrible for any adult to sit through (unlike Pixar's movies). Like Disney's Dinosaur, it will look good but won't amount to anything new or special and ultimately be forgotten by most.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: