News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

http://home.bt.com/video/exclusive-clip-from-walking-with-dinosaurs-the-3d-movie-01366208534376?videoid=2917414943001

Some more cringeworthy scenes from this film, the more we see, the worse it gets. I won't be going to see this at the cinema. Such a shame :( WWD in name only.

Balaur

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 10, 2013, 06:39:05 PM
http://home.bt.com/video/exclusive-clip-from-walking-with-dinosaurs-the-3d-movie-01366208534376?videoid=2917414943001

Some more cringeworthy scenes from this film, the more we see, the worse it gets. I won't be going to see this at the cinema. Such a shame :( WWD in name only.

Just where ear plugs. That's what I'm doing. I hope all the voices are filtered out. I also agree. I don't mind the dinosaur themselves, I enjoyed them in thst clip, until the stupid humans stared to speak. I hope they learn their lesson...

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Balaur on December 10, 2013, 07:23:33 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 10, 2013, 06:39:05 PM

Just where ear plugs. That's what I'm doing. I hope all the voices are filtered out. I also agree. I don't mind the dinosaur themselves, I enjoyed them in thst clip, until the stupid humans stared to speak. I hope they learn their lesson...

Nah, you can't block out all the audio, score, sound effects, and all. I'd rather avoid the film all together, as much out of principle as anything else.

Gwangi

I honestly think this film was originally intended to be viewed without any voice overs and someone stepped in and changed it. Pity because this film visually looks stunning. The only way I'll go see it is if my 7 year old nephew wants to go. Ultimately that may be the only redeeming quality of this film, the ability to attract younger people to dinosaurs. But that is not hard as it is so...

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on December 10, 2013, 09:17:08 PM
I honestly think this film was originally intended to be viewed without any voice overs and someone stepped in and changed it. Pity because this film visually looks stunning. The only way I'll go see it is if my 7 year old nephew wants to go. Ultimately that may be the only redeeming quality of this film, the ability to attract younger people to dinosaurs. But that is not hard as it is so...

We may never know what was originally intended for this film, but it is certain that children have always been attracted to dinosaurs, and not because they speak in goofy voices! Barney? A talking cute monster puppet.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 10, 2013, 09:33:52 PM

We may never know what was originally intended for this film, but it is certain that children have always been attracted to dinosaurs, and not because they speak in goofy voices! Barney? A talking cute monster puppet.
I thought Barney was a guy in a suit, not a puppet.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 10, 2013, 09:37:49 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 10, 2013, 09:33:52 PM

I thought Barney was a guy in a suit, not a puppet.

Sure, my point was that it isn't a dinosaur in any meaningful sense. Not like the ones on wwd3d. :)

CityRaptor

Well, out of all the evil purple creatures, Barney is the most evil.

That being said, we can only hope for a "no voice" Version on the DVD.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Roselaar

Oh dear, I just realized we'll only be getting the dubbed version of this film in the Netherlands... :( That sad fact will not reflect favorably on my review for sure.

Balaur

I actuslly asked my 5-year old cousin if he wanted to see the film with me. I basically described the thought-hearing dinosaurs, and he was all "No, thank you though!" Even my five year old cousins favourite interest, like me, dinosaurs, are not worth seeing if they talk. Not very good sign. I even showed him a clip. Wasn't intrested when the voices came on.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

I think people are slightly over-reacting to this whole deal. Enjoy the movie for what it is, people. I know it isn't fully up to our expectations as dinosaur geeks, but it seems like this movie is meant to be more like "Spirit". If you liked Spirit, I'm sure that this movie will be a nice watch. Again, watch it through the lens of what it is. I know it's disappointing, seeing as how awesome the TV series was comparatively, but still.
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

HD-man

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on December 12, 2013, 03:14:04 AM
I think people are slightly over-reacting to this whole deal. Enjoy the movie for what it is, people. I know it isn't fully up to our expectations as dinosaur geeks, but it seems like this movie is meant to be more like "Spirit". If you liked Spirit, I'm sure that this movie will be a nice watch. Again, watch it through the lens of what it is. I know it's disappointing, seeing as how awesome the TV series was comparatively, but still.

No offense, but that's a bad comparison. As I pointed out earlier (See my 1st post: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,630.195.html ), the 1st person narration in "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" was at least infrequent & decent (I.e. Dignified/plain-spoken). That of WWD3D, however, is gonna be frequent & bad (I.e. Undignified/annoying), as made painfully obvious by the trailers.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

SBell

Spirit didn't feature badly-dubbed dialogue, just overwrought narration.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: HD-man on December 12, 2013, 03:32:29 AM

No offense, but that's a bad comparison. As I pointed out earlier (See my 1st post: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,630.195.html ), the 1st person narration in "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" was at least infrequent & decent (I.e. Dignified/plain-spoken). That of WWD3D, however, is gonna be frequent & bad (I.e. Undignified/annoying), as made painfully obvious by the trailers.
I agree.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

Ah, well. Any attempt to find some good in the movie is thwarted by simple facts and cold, cruel logic. It's a hard world.   ;D
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus on December 12, 2013, 10:42:22 AM
Ah, well. Any attempt to find some good in the movie is thwarted by simple facts and cold, cruel logic. It's a hard world.   ;D
Well, that's admirable ;) But in my opinion, television, and entertainment in general, isn't what it used to be. :(

CityRaptor

It's more like the movie itself probably isn't that bad, but the dialogue ruins it. So we can only hope there will be an option to get rid of the voices on DVD.
Does that poop they keep talking about even exist?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Roselaar

So that was WWD 3D... yikes... :(

It is not good. The story is basically a redo of The Land Before Time or Dinosaur, except less compelling because it's so dreadfully uninspired. The voices (Dutch in my case indeed) are irritating as hell while the dialogue is cringeworthy to say the least (which I doubt is any better in the original version) and the dinosaur protagonists are overly anthropomorphized despite claims from the directors of how realistic they are. There's a bit at the beginning and end of the film that takes place in modern times where Karl Urban (Karl frakking Urban!) plays a paleontologist out fossil hunting with some kids, but it's completely redundant. This movie is solely marketed for kids and leaves the adults in the cold. A stupid decision, since dinosaurs would have done well with kids regardless, because they are dinosaurs after all. This movie feels in no way liked WWD proper, and should never be seen as such. I rate it 4/10. Which is hard for me because it is a dinosaur movie, but I gotta have some dignity as a film critic.

That said, some of the landscape visuals are grand, the background dinosaurs do look authentic (mostly because they don't have lines) and the 3D isn't bad. Maybe sitting in the theater with ear muffs is indeed not such a bad notion... though the film leaves plenty to moan about regardless.

On a dinosaur aspect, did I miss something in the case of Ankylosaurus and tail clubs? Because the Anky in this movie has no club (it looks more like Edmontonia). The Pterosaur in this film is simply called that, a Pterosaur. It's not even labelled an Azdarchid, like its blind bag figure counterpart. It's like they didn't know what name to give it.

And yes, there's poop in this too. It's for kids after all, so it's obligatory. ::)

Dan

Sounds as bad as we feared. Ah well, thanks for taking one for the team. In your opinion, would it be substantially better if all the dialogue was removed? I ask because it sounds like there were a few other bothersome aspects besides the dialogue, as well.

tyrantqueen

QuoteIt is not good. The story is basically a redo of The Land Before Time or Dinosaur, except less compelling because it's so dreadfully uninspired. The voices (Dutch in my case indeed) are irritating as hell while the dialogue is cringeworthy to say the least (which I doubt is any better in the original version) and the dinosaur protagonists are overly anthropomorphized despite claims from the directors of how realistic they are. There's a bit at the beginning and end of the film that takes place in modern times where Karl Urban (Karl ******** Urban!) plays a paleontologist out fossil hunting with some kids, but it's completely redundant. This movie is solely marketed for kids and leaves the adults in the cold. A stupid decision, since dinosaurs would have done well with kids regardless, because they are dinosaurs after all. This movie feels in no way liked WWD proper, and should never be seen as such. I rate it 4/10. Which is hard for me because it is a dinosaur movie, but I gotta have some dignity as a film critic.

That said, some of the landscape visuals are grand, the background dinosaurs do look authentic (mostly because they don't have lines) and the 3D isn't bad. Maybe sitting in the theater with ear muffs is indeed not such a bad notion... though the film leaves plenty to moan about regardless.

On a dinosaur aspect, did I miss something in the case of Ankylosaurus and tail clubs? Because the Anky in this movie has no club (it looks more like Edmontonia). The Pterosaur in this film is simply called that, a Pterosaur. It's not even labelled an Azdarchid, like its blind bag figure counterpart. It's like they didn't know what name to give it.

And yes, there's poop in this too. It's for kids after all, so it's obligatory.

So, you actually saw the movie already? I saw an advert for it on TV today, but I have no plans to see it in the cinema.

And is the foul language really necessary? It's only a movie.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: