News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundercharge

Wow, I'm excited!

It looks quite different from the original WWD. I wonder what format the movie will actually take. Will it have narration? And what about the human, nothing about him in the trailer (which I didn't mind!). I also wonder how long the running length will be, I'm guessing about an hour?

Overall looks like it'll be a lot of fun!  :)

Click sig for my collection! :)

scallenger

Well, usually when they advertise it as being a "movie", it is at least the typical feature-length, which is, on average, 1 hour and 30 minutes (usually longer with most movies these days, honestly). Depending on story and subject matter, it of course could be longer or shorter, and maybe given the documentary-style and CGI involved it could be something like 1 hour and 20 or 1 hour and 15 even, but I think it will be longer than just 1 hour. This isn't being advertised as some kind of special Imax-type experience (will it be in IMAX, though?), like their usual shorter 40 minute films. Especially the budget in the effects we see here that are not typical in those shorter films. I guess we'll have to wait and see!
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It really does look like they went at least to the level of other cg films..so I would guess feature length myself.

tyrantqueen

The trailer looks pretty good. It has more of a Dinosaur Revolution vibe to it than a WWD one.

From the trailer I guessed there was going to be no narration whatsoever, it this correct?

DinoToyForum

ZoPteryx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 01, 2013, 06:34:41 PM
The trailer looks pretty good. It has more of a Dinosaur Revolution vibe to it than a WWD one.
I agree, a nice vibrant look at dinos, apparently including feathered ones! ;D

If it is narrated, I hope it'll be narrated more like a regular documentary.

Dan

Being able to recognize David's sculpts in this massive production is so awesome. Anyone ID the azhdarchid pterosaur?

Hermes888

Anyone reminded of this?
http://youtu.be/RUML8hTngsQ
March of the Dinosaurs was made by Impossible Pictures, creators of Walking with Dinosaurs.

Albertosaurus

To me it looks amazing!! The animation looks incredible! Have you seen the detail of the nictitating membrane in the dinosaurs when they collide?? details like that is what I expect from a good movie/documentary about dinosaurs. I like the fact of being story driven. When Dinosaur Revolution was released I was a bit affraid but it ended up being a nice way to show dinosaurs to a younger and general public, by giving them some background stories.
I am really excited about this movie,and even more knowing that David Krentz is behind the models.
By the way,are those Albertosaurus?

PD.: Look at the scales in those theropods!Chamaleon-like scales! It looks amazing!

Primeval12

Love the colors of the albertosaurus(?) The odd thing is irradecent coloration on dinosaurs didn't exist when I first got into dinosaurs back in 1st grade (Feathers didn't either I don't think)! It's amazing how science could change things in just a matter of years!

Yutyrannus

Quote from: primeval12 on May 01, 2013, 10:24:05 PM
Love the colors of the albertosaurus(?) The odd thing is irradecent coloration on dinosaurs didn't exist when I first got into dinosaurs back in 1st grade (Feathers didn't either I don't think)! It's amazing how science could change things in just a matter of years!
I think it is actually a Gorgosaurus, but I agree, I love the colors on him. I think he ties with the Dinosaur Revolution T-rex as the coolest movie tyrannosaur ever!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Balaur

Quote from: Dan on May 01, 2013, 07:52:57 PM
Being able to recognize David's sculpts in this massive production is so awesome. Anyone ID the azhdarchid pterosaur?

I believe the pterosaur is Quetzalcoatlus.

ChrisLikesDinos

So, Im confused... will there be humans in this, or will the dinosaurs talk? Or will it simply be a narrated story like a feature version of Dinotasia?

Anyways, I liked the trailer. The CG looks good for what it is, and the art style reminds me of a mix of Disney Dinosaur and Dinosaur Revolution. CG quality looks like Dinosaur revolution with a bigger budget and more time at the render farms.. it certainly is the best looking Dino Documentary I have seen, and should look really good in theaters. its a pinch cartoony, but it still retains a good level of realism IMO. I would say its biggest issue is its run of the mill, uninspired cinematography that many Dino documentaries are stuck with.. Its a shame we didn't get something more visually striking in that regard.

Some pics:

Blade-of-the-Moon

I happy with no humans at all..maybe those early reports were incorrect ?

Balaur

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 02, 2013, 05:38:52 AM

Maybe the idea was scrapped. I mean, if humans do appear in the film, they would have shown it in the trailer. I'm even more happier.

I am excited for this film, but I have a few somewhat minor problems -
The tyrannosaurs (Albertosaurus?) are unfeathered, but I will let this pass since this has been two and a quarter years in the making and Yutyrannus was not known then, and it is possible Albertosaurus didn't have or need feathers. I still argue they would need feathers and would have had feathers, but this is just speculation based on the finds of Yutyrannus and Dilong.

This also does look good, but I just doesn't feel like Walking with Dinosaurs. It looks like Happy Feet with no talking dinosaurs. Funny I should mention that, as a writer for this film worked on Happy Feet and the animation company for this movie, "Animal Logic" did the animation and CGI for Happy Feet.

I am happy to see it, but it is really hard to believe this is actually something "Walking with Dinosaurs" related. It's just another dinosaur documentary, but a big budget (and beautiful) one that looks like it's worthwile to see on the big screen.

The shots of the mountains, peticularly the waterfall, was down right gorgeous. And the first dinosaurs we saw in the trailer, when the baby Pachyrhinosaurus where squirming, was so realistic, it was scary. The feathered Troodon looks great. I love the colour schemes on the Albertosaurus, and the little black bird (Alexornis?). I think this is going to be a big hit, but to have this be part of the Walking with series, is hard to believe.

From the trailer and some past info, this is the list of creatures in the movie so far -
Pachyrhinosaurus
Alphadon
Troodon
Alexornis
Hesperonychus
Edmontonia?
Quetzalcoatlus
Albertosaurus? (or Gorgosaurus?)

scallenger

Quote from: demoncarnotaur on May 02, 2013, 05:10:53 AM
I would say its biggest issue is its run of the mill, uninspired cinematography that many Dino documentaries are stuck with.. Its a shame we didn't get something more visually striking in that regard.

I can kind of agree with you with the cinematography on this film. But actually, did you see March of the Dinosaurs? It actually had some inventive and cool cinematography at times, with the camera moving around a lot. This was probably due to the entire film being in the computer, giving them some more creative control on how to show the dinosaurs, or just had someone more interested in getting cool shots out of it. ;)

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on May 02, 2013, 05:54:46 AM
Maybe the idea was scrapped. I mean, if humans do appear in the film, they would have shown it in the trailer. I'm even more happier.

Didn't one of the very first trailers for Disney's Dinosaur feature NO talking dinosaurs at all? These days, you never know! Trailers can be just as much misleading as they can also give the entire film away.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It did indeed :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0ASPvwWkCQ

Viewing it again, it is easier to see how similar and how different this film is, which makes sense seeing as at least one fellow we know worked on both. ;) Of course design-wise I have to say I prefer these new ones. They have just enough character showing to let you sympathize with them without totally killing you with it.  I recall it was said a long while back that the creator's of Disney's DINOSAUR really wanted a film that was like the first five minutes. I'd say they are getting close to that with this one if not there from what I can tell.

Primeval12

Quote from: demoncarnotaur on May 02, 2013, 05:10:53 AM

"Must go faster, must go faster!"

Odd, it looked like the Albertosaurus from Primeval

scallenger

To be honest, as a kid, I really dug Disney's Dinosaur. I thought it was incredibly amazing and fun to watch. It's only as I got older that I really started to understand all of it's problems, and got irritated by the fact that they talked. If I watch it now, I see it more as a failed experiment by Disney, that is still interesting to watch. The first five minutes are still worth it alone, especially since they are accompanied by the wonderful music score by James Newton Howard, that really sells the whole film. It's got to be the best dinosaur film score next to Jurassic Park and the original Walking With Dinosaurs, and probably my favorite by that composer.

It's just fascinating to me that Disney invested SO MUCH money into making the dinosaurs look very real (for their time), and then, at the last minute (apparently), decided to make them talk. It was such a simple story, made more evident by the dialogue, that it really just needed a narrator. But of course, they didn't trust their audience at all, or the filmmakers. And while the film apparently did well at the box office, I still consider it a failed but fascinating concept, mucked up by Disney, not the original creators.

However... that Carnotaurus is still one cool-as-hell design that is still impressive to watch on the screen. Disney was at least wise enough to not let that guy talk (or the raptors... I guess the carnivorous dinosaurs are too "evil" to speak, haha!). I'm still hoping Jurassic Park 4 finally brings these guys into it's tale, like the novel did, with their chameleon-esque color changing skin. Otherwise, until then, this is coolest Carnotaurus brought to film. ;)

So I actually am hoping this will be just as good as it looks, as Dinosaur did. With no talking dinosaurs. Or humans... dreaded humans...

Yutyrannus

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on May 02, 2013, 05:54:46 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 02, 2013, 05:38:52 AM

I am excited for this film, but I have a few somewhat minor problems -
The tyrannosaurs (Albertosaurus?) are unfeathered, but I will let this pass since this has been two and a quarter years in the making and Yutyrannus was not known then, and it is possible Albertosaurus didn't have or need feathers. I still argue they would need feathers and would have had feathers, but this is just speculation based on the finds of Yutyrannus and Dilong.

This also does look good, but I just doesn't feel like Walking with Dinosaurs. It looks like Happy Feet with no talking dinosaurs. Funny I should mention that, as a writer for this film worked on Happy Feet and the animation company for this movie, "Animal Logic" did the animation and CGI for Happy Feet.

I am happy to see it, but it is really hard to believe this is actually something "Walking with Dinosaurs" related. It's just another dinosaur documentary, but a big budget (and beautiful) one that looks like it's worthwile to see on the big screen.

The shots of the mountains, peticularly the waterfall, was down right gorgeous. And the first dinosaurs we saw in the trailer, when the baby Pachyrhinosaurus where squirming, was so realistic, it was scary. The feathered Troodon looks great. I love the colour schemes on the Albertosaurus, and the little black bird (Alexornis?). I think this is going to be a big hit, but to have this be part of the Walking with series, is hard to believe.

From the trailer and some past info, this is the list of creatures in the movie so far -
Pachyrhinosaurus
Alphadon
Troodon
Alexornis
Hesperonychus
Edmontonia?
Quetzalcoatlus
Albertosaurus? (or Gorgosaurus?)
I think that the Gorgosaurus being irridescent makes up for its lack of feathers in this movie. Also, I do think it is a Gorgosaurus not an Albertosaurus that is seen in the trailer because it has that distinctive arched snout and foward curving crests that Gorgosaurus has but Albertosaurus lacks. Also I think what you mistook for a Troodon in the trailer was actually the Hesperonychus (originally I made the same mistake).

Here is the list of creatures I saw in the trailer:
Quetzalcoatlus
Pachyrhinosaurus
Alexornis
Alphadon
Edmontonia
Gorgosaurus
Hesperonychus
Edmontosaurus

By the way, I love the Gorgosaurus he looks awesome even though he doesn't have feathers. I really like how he is irridescent blue with those black and yellow markings on his face. Another thing I really like about the Gorgosaurus' colors is that even though he is the "villain" of the movie (at least I assume so) he isn't made to look "evil" and is instead still very brightly colored.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: