News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

yeah hard to say exactly what it is though.  Here's hoping it's worth the cash.

Takama

I now have to beg my mom to get us a Blue-Ray player. So I can see the Natural Version of the movie.

Sure I can go up to my room and watch it on the PS3, but I like the extra comfort and big screen in the living Room.

scallenger

Why don't you just hook up the PS3 to the TV in your living room when you get it?
Jurassic Time is back... and this time, it will stay with you forever.

Jurassic Time... it can now belong in your own museum.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: scallenger on February 07, 2014, 09:38:41 AM
Why don't you just hook up the PS3 to the TV in your living room when you get it?

That should work if it plays them...I don't one so I'm unsure.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: scallenger on February 07, 2014, 06:42:17 AM
The cut won't be on the DVD for any of the versions. Read again that part of the link posted earlier:

●    Feature film in standard definition
   ●    DVD Special Features
      ○    Dino Files
      ○    Match the Call game

That's all the DVD of it will have.

Speaking of features, beyond the alternate cut of the Deluxe Edition, these features are pretty flimsy and really cater to the younger set for sure. Such a shame. :(
I just meant the Blu Ray Deluxe edition sounds like it has DVD discs as well as Blu Ray discs by the title.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 07, 2014, 05:23:48 PM
Quote from: scallenger on February 07, 2014, 09:38:41 AM

That should work if it plays them...I don't one so I'm unsure.
Yes, a Playstation 3 will play Blu-ray. That was one of the major selling points Sony fanboys liked to point out to other console buyers...

SpartanSquat

Its a small victory? Well I hope to see this version! Also I hope it will arrive to Spain.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: RolandEden on February 12, 2014, 04:04:35 PM
Its a small victory? Well I hope to see this version! Also I hope it will arrive to Spain.

Not to be pessimistic..but let's wait til see it ! ;)

HD-man

You can watch WWD3D's Crappy Cut online now. What I want to know is when I can watch WWD3D's Cretaceous Cut online?
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: HD-man on March 19, 2014, 02:28:05 AM
You can watch WWD3D's Crappy Cut online now. What I want to know is when I can watch WWD3D's Cretaceous Cut online?

If I can find it at walmart on the 25th I'll pick up the dvd..being as how rare this special feature is that may be the only way to get it for awhile.

scallenger

Remember though, it won't be on the DVD. Only on the 3D BluRay set. In fact, it still isn't clear if it will only be on the 3D disc or not. Even if it isn't in 3D itself, if it is on the 3D disc, it will likely not even load on a standard BluRay player.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: scallenger on March 19, 2014, 05:39:48 PM
Remember though, it won't be on the DVD. Only on the 3D BluRay set. In fact, it still isn't clear if it will only be on the 3D disc or not. Even if it isn't in 3D itself, if it is on the 3D disc, it will likely not even load on a standard BluRay player.

That...would suck.

scallenger

I agree, but I have a strong suspicion this will be the case. And studios wonder why bootlegs exist of their products...

sauroid

i just turn off the audio and play an epic soundtrack in the background.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Iguanocolossus

Not good at all, but it was better than the awfulness I expected. I did a review comparing it with Disney's Dinosaur movie

http://davidsamateurpalaeo.blogspot.com/2014/01/old-vs-new-dinosaur-vs-walking-with.html

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: scallenger on March 20, 2014, 05:24:36 PM
I agree, but I have a strong suspicion this will be the case. And studios wonder why bootlegs exist of their products...

I was going to pre-order through Amazon but I'll wait. Their page doesn't even list the special features at all.

HD-man

Quote from: sauroid on March 20, 2014, 05:53:32 PMi just turn off the audio and play an epic soundtrack in the background.

It's just not the same (hence my previous post).
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: HD-man on March 21, 2014, 03:30:59 PM
Quote from: sauroid on March 20, 2014, 05:53:32 PMi just turn off the audio and play an epic soundtrack in the background.

It's just not the same (hence my previous post).

Yeah I want the sfx and all too.

scallenger

According to the BluRay.com thread, we have a final word on the Cretaceous Cut.

But first, to make it clear so no one here makes the mistake, the Cretaceous Cut is ONLY found in the 3D Deluxe Edition BluRay. Not the standard BluRay or the DVD. ONLY the 3D edition.

However, luckily (and this was something I was initially worried about), the 2D and 3D version of the theatrical film reside on the same disc, along with the Cretaceous Cut bonus feature, which is in 2D only. That means you do NOT need a 3D player or TV to play the Cretaceous Cut, just a Bluray player/TV. It is located in the bonus features on the disc, is about 70 minutes long, does not include the humans or end credits apparently. And, of course, no voices. Just music and sound effects. The sound is in 5.1 dolby digital (I don't think it is lossless).

So this is mostly good news for us. The only bad news is that we are forced to pay the most expensive price just to see this cut of the film. The other bad news, which may or may not matter, is that the Cretaceous Cut is crammed on a single disc with both the 2D and 3D versions of the horrible theatrical cut. I'm really wondering, despite the big capacity of BluRay discs, if it will sacrifice quality at all? The sound for the Cretaceous Cut is already not in a lossless format, so that alone is a bit of a step down.

I definitely want to see the Cretaceous Cut now, but I am going to wait for it to be a lot cheaper, or just get it on the secondary market (maybe even "used"). It was almost clever of them to force the fanbase who REALLY wanted this film to pay the higher price just to see the way it was meant to be seen. Those jerks...

UPDATE:

BluRay.com review of the 3D edition:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Walking-With-Dinosaurs-The-Movie-3D-Blu-ray/79008/#Review

It would appear as though the quality of the video on the release is good, but still notes the Cretaceous Cut's audio is lossy, as I already noted. Interestingly, unlike what I had read, the Cretaceous Cut CAN apparently be watched in 3D as well if you have the right stuff for it. The review also praises the Cretaceous Cut in comparison to the theatrical film, although it does note the film still halts everytime a new species is introduced with the, I assume, text info.

SBell

Quote from: scallenger on March 25, 2014, 09:08:22 PM
According to the BluRay.com thread, we have a final word on the Cretaceous Cut.

But first, to make it clear so no one here makes the mistake, the Cretaceous Cut is ONLY found in the 3D Deluxe Edition BluRay. Not the standard BluRay or the DVD. ONLY the 3D edition.

However, luckily (and this was something I was initially worried about), the 2D and 3D version of the theatrical film reside on the same disc, along with the Cretaceous Cut bonus feature, which is in 2D only. That means you do NOT need a 3D player or TV to play the Cretaceous Cut, just a Bluray player/TV. It is located in the bonus features on the disc, is about 70 minutes long, does not include the humans or end credits apparently. And, of course, no voices. Just music and sound effects. The sound is in 5.1 dolby digital (I don't think it is lossless).

So this is mostly good news for us. The only bad news is that we are forced to pay the most expensive price just to see this cut of the film. The other bad news, which may or may not matter, is that the Cretaceous Cut is crammed on a single disc with both the 2D and 3D versions of the horrible theatrical cut. I'm really wondering, despite the big capacity of BluRay discs, if it will sacrifice quality at all? The sound for the Cretaceous Cut is already not in a lossless format, so that alone is a bit of a step down.

I definitely want to see the Cretaceous Cut now, but I am going to wait for it to be a lot cheaper, or just get it on the secondary market (maybe even "used"). It was almost clever of them to force the fanbase who REALLY wanted this film to pay the higher price just to see the way it was meant to be seen. Those jerks...

UPDATE:

BluRay.com review of the 3D edition:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Walking-With-Dinosaurs-The-Movie-3D-Blu-ray/79008/#Review

It would appear as though the quality of the video on the release is good, but still notes the Cretaceous Cut's audio is lossy, as I already noted. Interestingly, unlike what I had read, the Cretaceous Cut CAN apparently be watched in 3D as well if you have the right stuff for it. The review also praises the Cretaceous Cut in comparison to the theatrical film, although it does note the film still halts everytime a new species is introduced with the, I assume, text info.

I just picked up the disc at Costco today. It cost about $5 more than the non-blu ray disc at a different store, so not a whole lot different. I was concerned that it didn't outright say that a human-less version existed, so that settles my mind a bit about opening it (because I can bring it back unopened if I have to!). So I will never have to hear dumb poop jokes from dinosaurs.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: