News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2019 Hopes and Dreams

Started by suspsy, December 30, 2017, 02:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 04, 2018, 08:17:40 PM
First of all I am not confirming that the artist that did the other 2017 pieces hasn't done PW Safari Ltd pieces before 2017.

That's right.  I only referred to years when you also did these figures, to try to understand what you meant by, "the first time we split duties", "I was talking specifically about this artist.", and, "Yes I did split the AMNH toob with another different artist".  It seemed to me you might have been specifying you and the other artist who did the 2017 prehistoric Wild Safari figures never created figures for Safari for the same year before.  At this point though, I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly.

I used to know the name of the artist that did the non feathered dinosaurs for the AMNH Feathered dinosaur toob, but I have forgotten it since.

It's William Burford.  Here's one post you mentioned it in (Reply #38): http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3197.msg91874#msg91874

I refer to that toob as the AMNH Feathered dinosaur toob because it was requested at that time by the AMNH to coincide with an exhibit on feathered dinosaurs. They also consulted on the dinosaurs but not directly with me. If you look at the original issue toob case the label has "Feathered Dinos Toob" in white letters and above that is the American Museum of Natural History Logo in blue. Plus there is a blurb on the side about the AMNH.

Thanks for explaining this.

Reptilia

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 03, 2018, 07:49:36 PM
Someone asked if I would name the other artist and I said I didn't have permission plus I don't really know or have any interaction with the artist.

I always wonder why there's so much secrecy surrounding sculptors for these toy companies. They're artists after all, they're supposed to make a living out of their works, so let people know their identities wouldn't help them in their job somehow? I'm not saying you should reveal the name, I just don't understand why Safari doesn't overtly claim who their sculptors are. I think Collecta is the only company that actually name their sculptor on some official channel.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on March 04, 2018, 09:37:47 PM
It's William Burford.  Here's one post you mentioned it in (Reply #38): http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3197.msg91874#msg91874

That is correct I knew I mentioned it somewhere but had no idea where. In that case at the time that I did them I actually asked who was doing the other pieces, I actually should not have released his name since I didn't have his permission. Now let me once again try to explain what I meant about other artists, I haven't asked who they were or are so I don't know them. In the case of 2017 and on I just know someone else was going to pick up the pieces I couldn't do. I don't have the person's name and if I did I don't have Safari's permission to divulge it but just as important I wouldn't divulge it without the artist's permission, I have already made that mistake once. Some people like their privacy you know. Anyway it is a moot point since I don't have a name to divulge. I hope that ends that.
If you want to speculate on how many artists have worked on the series my suggestion would be to look at the different styles as I have said I have no idea how many have worked on the series.

Reptilia

I have a question Doug, did you ever discuss with Safari the possibility of giving your theropods articulated jaws? Or is it something that you and/or Safari never considered?

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 05, 2018, 04:25:43 AM
That is correct I knew I mentioned it somewhere but had no idea where. In that case at the time that I did them I actually asked who was doing the other pieces, I actually should not have released his name since I didn't have his permission. Now let me once again try to explain what I meant about other artists, I haven't asked who they were or are so I don't know them. In the case of 2017 and on I just know someone else was going to pick up the pieces I couldn't do. I don't have the person's name and if I did I don't have Safari's permission to divulge it but just as important I wouldn't divulge it without the artist's permission, I have already made that mistake once. Some people like their privacy you know. Anyway it is a moot point since I don't have a name to divulge. I hope that ends that.

Maybe it's just me who feels a bit awkward reading this, due to how you posted it in a way that looks like you're replying to me, but in the reply you're also responding to things I haven't said and only others said.  I wasn't asking you to share new information on the other artist(s), I was trying to understand if you'd already (intentionally) given new information, with regards to you saying 2017 was the first time you split duties with the other artist.  I was curious if you were confirming you hadn't "split duties" with them before as there were previous years where I would have thought you "split duties", for example there's an almost equal number of prehistoric Wild Safari figures by you and not by you in 2014, 2011 and 2010.

I never asked that you share the name of any other artist, and I'm in agreement with you about respecting people's choice to have privacy.  I think I understand now, what you've said in this thread does not confirm anything about which Safari figures not by you could have been done by the same artist.

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 05, 2018, 04:25:43 AM
If you want to speculate on how many artists have worked on the series my suggestion would be to look at the different styles as I have said I have no idea how many have worked on the series.

I've thought about this before.  I find looking at the different styles gives a vague idea of how many artists might have worked on the series, and that it shows more about how the Wild Safari prehistoric series has developed.  For instance, I wouldn't have guessed the 2010 Apatosaurus is by you!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on March 05, 2018, 01:18:15 PM
1. Maybe it's just me who feels a bit awkward reading this, due to how you posted it in a way that looks like you're replying to me, but in the reply you're also responding to things I haven't said and only others said.

2. I was curious if you were confirming you hadn't "split duties" with them before as there were previous years where I would have thought you "split duties", for example there's an almost equal number of prehistoric Wild Safari figures by you and not by you in 2014, 2011 and 2010.

1. To your first point yes I was answering you and others in my response sorry if that made you uncomfortable.

2. To your second point The big difference between 2017 and 2014, 2011 and 2010 is in 2017 I knew I was spitting the PW pieces with one artist. In 2014, 2011 and 2010 I don't know if I was spitting between 1, 2, 3 or 4 artists. The same could be said of 2018 on, I don't know if all the other pieces were done or will be done by one or more artists, hopefully that clears up the "splitting" definition.

Im going to split now.  ;)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Reptilia on March 05, 2018, 01:16:31 PM
I have a question Doug, did you ever discuss with Safari the possibility of giving your theropods articulated jaws? Or is it something that you and/or Safari never considered?

I am not at liberty to discuss Safari Ltd business, but on a personal note I am not a fan of articulated jaws.

Reptilia

Thanks for answering.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 05, 2018, 02:00:21 PM

I am not at liberty to discuss Safari Ltd business, but on a personal note I am not a fan of articulated jaws.

Mr. Doug Watson honestly although the articulated jaws are very demanded in many members of the forum, I am of identical opinion to yours that I am not in favor of making jaws articulated to the dinosaurs, specifically theropods and in relation to Safari I would agree that they continue with their artistic philosophy although I am nobody to say what the Safari brand has to do, but I like the theropods of Safari and marine animals to give two examples as the Safari sculptors show us in their paleoartistic representations.

In my case the articulated jaws are a disadvantage because unfortunately they occur of themselves and do not seem aesthetic and I say this with total respect to those who are supporters of prehistoric animals with articulated jaws.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 05, 2018, 02:00:21 PM

Same here!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

I'm also not a fan of articulated Jaws, but I would be happy too see more closed mouth figures in general.

suspsy

I enjoy articulated jaws, but I'm just as happy with toys that lack them.

Looking through this thread, it's nice to see that so many people share the desire for a new Stegosaurus. Doug, I don't know if you're at liberty to share such information, but do you know how Safari goes about selecting the animals in their annual lineup? I'm assuming it's a committee decision as opposed to just one person. Do they have votes?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Bokisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on March 05, 2018, 04:34:24 PM

Looking through this thread, it's nice to see that so many people share the desire for a new Stegosaurus. Doug, I don't know if you're at liberty to share such information, but do you know how Safari goes about selecting the animals in their annual lineup? I'm assuming it's a committee decision as opposed to just one person. Do they have votes?

With great improvement of CollectA's articulated jaws, I'm actually curious to see what Safari can do with articulated jaws. I have a feeling that it's just a matter of time before they, too, will release a figure with articulated jaw. At first, I was not a fan of articulated jaw, but with the great improvements, I actually like them on carnivores/predators. This gives a different option on how a figure looks besides with it's mouth wide open ( we have soooooooo many of those already and I get the point :))).
In fact, all of the CollectA figures with articulated jaws I display with it closed. This really makes them stand out and gives a totally different personality to the figure.
So, I'm excited to see what Safari can do if they decide to give it a try, I'm sure it would be great.

Doug Watson

All I can say is they do listen to there fans. Of course in the end like any business they have to decide if a piece will sell.

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on March 05, 2018, 07:09:55 PM

All I can say is they do listen to there fans. Of course in the end like any business they have to decide if a piece will sell.

Well then, that's two points for Stegosaurus! :)

Shonisaurus

Obviously, as I have already commented in another post in Safari, they will obviously be responsible for making figures that are profitable in the sense that they can be sold massively and then order these figures from Doug Watson and the rest of the sculptors' staff.

As it is logical Safari as any company can not bend to the whim or wishes rather said by collectors, you have to weigh whether that figure will be sold or not.

Collectors in this forum, as in others like STS forum, only issue recommendations and wishes to the Safari company and then have to weigh what are the ideal figures for sale in the toy market and which ones are not profitable.  :)

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Oh! A few suggestions I'd forgetten:

Concavenator
Now that the Carnegie version is gone, I'd like to see this theropod back in the mix. Maybe with a little more flair than the previous one? Quills and feathers are controversial for this genus, but would certainly make it stand out.

Plants
I'm sad the prehistoric plants are being retired, but I managed to get multiple copies, so my prehistoric forest is well-stocked, and I'm thankful to Safari for producing them while they did. I can certainly understand if plants aren't charismatic enough to sell well. That being said, I'd hate for a good idea to disappear completely. How about "living fossils" which could pull double-duty as scenery for both Safari's modern and prehistoric animals? I would especially love to see:
Sequoia
Redwoods seem pretty common in the fossil record, and they're certainly the most impressive trees in the modern era. Better make this one big... at least as big as the old Agathis Conifer, if not larger.
Bald Cypress
This one could have a base representing either water or land, or perhaps sitting directly on the shoreline. Be sure to include the cypress's "knees" as well!
Ginko
Another common fossil plant, which is widespread in ornamental usage today.

amargasaurus cazaui

still hanging tough with protoceratops this year for me

PS.Add Gargoyleosaurus as well....another Ken Carpenter consult!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

Gargoyleosaurus would go very well alongside the Ankylosaurus and Sauropelta.

Turning now to prehistoric fish, I'd love to see a Helicoprion in all its buzzsaw-toothed glory. Or the humble but monumental Tiktaalik.

Halichoeres

I'd be down for a full-sized Helicoprion or a Tiktaalik. For fish I'd add:

Aspidorhynchus
Brochoadmones
Campbellodus
Falcatus
Gebraylichthys
Promissum
Rebellatrix
Rhizodus
Soederberghia

and about 300 others.

(Google Image these guys if you've never heard of them; you won't be disappointed!)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: