You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Boki's Collection: A short goodbye (until we meet again) 3/7/23

Started by Bokisaurus, January 12, 2018, 09:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

A stunning acquisition. I especially enjoyed seeing it amid the okapi herd.

Jose S.M.

Digibasherx

You should get the Takara Tomy Ania Okapi, it's super adorable and has a pose-able neck.

Shonisaurus

Boki if I'm not mistaken that sivatherium comes from the collection of Likaon models made by Joan Bestiario came out in 2018 and there is also the famous Haast eagle (harpagornis moorei) by Miguel Aparicio.  :)

SBell

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 18, 2018, 03:34:47 PM
Boki if I'm not mistaken that sivatherium comes from the collection of Likaon models made by Joan Bestiario came out in 2018 and there is also the famous Haast eagle (harpagornis moorei) by Miguel Aparicio.  :)

Likaon is a collective of artists that produce animal models but sell them from a single point.

So that is Joan's model. It's just available through Likaon.

Bokisaurus

Thanks everyone, I am very happy with this new beast ^-^ Now, I am hoping that Joan will do more prehistoric mammals... a Syntethoceras from him would be awesome!

@ Shoniosaurus - I'm aware of that website, like Sbell said, it's an online store that sells figures from a few artist like Joan. I got my figure directly from Joan himself :D

Bokisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on April 17, 2018, 07:59:42 PM
I absolutely love the Sivatherium by Joan Soler.
I'm just waiting but, for sure, it will be in my collection soon.
I'm a prehistoric mammals fan.  8)
^-^

He would look so lovely in your collection ^-^

stegosauria

Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 19, 2018, 06:41:01 AM
Thanks everyone, I am very happy with this new beast ^-^ Now, I am hoping that Joan will do more prehistoric mammals... a Syntethoceras from him would be awesome!

@ Shoniosaurus - I'm aware of that website, like Sbell said, it's an online store that sells figures from a few artist like Joan. I got my figure directly from Joan himself :D

There's a difference if you order via Likaon or got the figure directly from the artist? And how long usually Joan's figure become retired? And why he doesn't do new batches when he (probably) knows his figures become sought after?

And could you name which company made which of your okapis?

Otherwise really a beauty.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: stegosauria on April 19, 2018, 01:40:25 PM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on April 19, 2018, 06:41:01 AM

There's a difference if you order via Likaon or got the figure directly from the artist? And how long usually Joan's figure become retired? And why he doesn't do new batches when he (probably) knows his figures become sought after?

And could you name which company made which of your okapis?

Otherwise really a beauty.

Hi there,
Not sure if there is a difference between ordering directly from the artist of via Likaon. I have always ordered directly from Joan himself.
He is an architect by trade a nd  his model making is a sideline that he does when he has the time, so that explains the very limited production of his figures and early retirement of many of them. Plus, it's a one man production ;)
As for the okapis
[]
From left to right, KMI vinyl figures, Bullyland, CollectA,
schleich, Papa, and the two last ones to the right is the Safari ones. Baby is by Schleich I think.
Cheers! :)

Bokisaurus

New week, new Collection post ^-^
Today, we will look at another Japanes small figures by BANDAI. Like many of the small figures from Japan, these guys are mini puzzle as well. They are made of flexible rubber, unlike the Kaiyodos brittle material.
Sculpting wise, they are not as well detailed as the Kaiyodo or Colorata figures.
I got the set years ago, but I don't know exactly when they were released. Like many of it's contemporaries, they are have chosen the most boring and commonly produced species, nothing unique really.
I originally only wanted the Siesmosaurus, but I had an opportunity to get the entire set at a very low price ( cheaper than just getting the seism by itself), so I went ahead and got them.
As you can see, each of the 6 figures comes in 4 different variant, just to make those completeist crazy ^-^
Anyway, the species are Siesomsaurus, Veloceraptor, Stego, Allosaurus, Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus ( of course!)
The velociraptor comes with a clear rod that attaches to it's belly, it looks like it was impaled instead of jumping! :))
I t think you can still find them on eBay, but not sure really how much they are going for these days. :))
If you like the Japanese mini figures, this set is worth getting. They have a retro feel to them when compared to the more polished Kaiyodos.

The set is just called The Dinosaur Gallery - GashPon figures

A rainbow herd of Siesmosaurus ^-^ I don't know why, but Japanese love this species. I think you can only find Siesmosaurus in Japanese brands.
This is the figure that I was originally after, glad I got the entire set now. My favorite is the blue version. ON the last photo, one of the blue one has a kink in it's tail ^-^

The group and the paper i insert that came with each figures

Well hope you enjoyed this post. Oh, you may have noticed that I now include my collection name in each photo. This is my attempt to prevent anymore unauthorized use of my photos.
I had to deal with yet another one of those recently >:(

Cheers! Till the next post :))

PhilSauria

Love the Seismosaurs - may have to seek these out despite my general aversion to really small figures. Good idea with the name, I noticed that Robin G has been doing that as well. These are good pics an I can see why some would feel tempted to appropriate them; sharp, well-lit eye level shots - all the basics most people taking photos of their figures don't seem to grasp.

Halichoeres

I've had my photos used in eBay listings. Is that the sort of thing you're talking about?

I never thought about it, but yeah I've only seen Seismosaurus from Japanese brands. I'm particularly fond of the Kabaya version, even if it's a bit scrawny.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PhilSauria

Wasn't sure of the circumstances that you were referring to in regard to the photo usage, but some eBay listers just seem to get hold of any image they can rather than going to the trouble of posting shots of the actual item they are selling. That Seismosaurus that you mentioned is the one that I also have, if I am thinking of the right one. Sculpt by Kazunari Araki, skinny or not I do like his work.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: PhilSauria on April 23, 2018, 10:42:34 PM
Good idea with the name, I noticed that Robin G has been doing that as well. These are good pics an I can see why some would feel tempted to appropriate them

..yes, I started to tag my pictures because I found out a lot of different websites using them without authorization..
(sorry for the off-topic)
:)

Shonisaurus

Since honestly what some eBay users do is wrong as they play with the feelings of the buyers, they should publish in their sale photos the dinosaurs that they are going to sell and not photos of other users or private collections.

Anyway Boki congratulate you for your great pictures, it is also interesting your Bandai figures and your completism in terms of collections.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: PhilSauria on April 24, 2018, 04:36:13 AM
Wasn't sure of the circumstances that you were referring to in regard to the photo usage, but some eBay listers just seem to get hold of any image they can rather than going to the trouble of posting shots of the actual item they are selling. That Seismosaurus that you mentioned is the one that I also have, if I am thinking of the right one. Sculpt by Kazunari Araki, skinny or not I do like his work.

Thanks all, yes, lots of eBay sellers, and there are also blogs and websites that I found my photos being used.
Now, there are some blogs/websites that contacted me and asked permission use my photos, and I was glad to have them use it as long as I was given credit. It's those unauthorized ones that really is irritating, but such is the nature of unprotected photos on the web. So my solution is to put my name on the photo ;D
Unfortunately, I do have a lot of photos that I took that don't have my name, too many to try and redo, so it will be posted without the name. But moving forward, this is my solution... trying to put watermark was just too much work for me ;D
Cheers!

Bokisaurus

Okay, so back to collection post.
This will be a two-part since I wanted to clearly separate the two different lines.
The two lines we are going to look at today is the Discovery Kids and the Dino Dan series.

Part 1 - Discovery Kids
Today we have here a set of figures that was released under the name Discovery Kids. I got the set years ago, maybe they were released 6 years ago or even longer. The set consist of both prehistoric and extant animals.
The gimmick on this set is that each of the figures have a chip inside them that you can scan with a wand. There is, unfortunately, a road logo where the chip is located on the leg of the animals. When you scan them, they give you information about the animal as well as sound. There are also bonus animals information as well.
Not sure entirely if there was additional releases after the initial set of 8 small figures and 3 large figures. The small ones are packaged in set of 4, the big ones sold individually.
It was a curious set, and when I found them at Target, I decided to get the 2 sets of small ones and the large Torosaurus. As expected, the species selection is made up but he most common ones. There are however, a few cool ones like the Othielia and the Rhamphorhynchus ( who looks very much like the small WWD figure!), as well as the Therizinosaur, Protoceratops, and Torosaurus.
The 2 small box set consists of Jurassic and Cretaceous animals.
As expected, the line was short lived, and the set disappeared only after a year or so.
Overall, I like the set. They are nice sculpt for an action figure ( large ones are articulated). No, I never did get the wand, so I am not sure what exactly the sounds were like or the information they gave.
The large figures, in addition to being articulated, also have a button that you push to make sound. Surprisingly, my Rex still makes sound after all these years ;D
You will notice the round logo button on some of the figures hips/legs
Okay here we go...

The small and large version of Mr. T, Large Stego, and Small and large Stego for size comparison .

Box art of both small and large figures

On the back, you can see photos of the other extant animals in the series.

These guys really look nice together ^-^

Bokisaurus

Part 2- Dino Dan

Well, this second set if called Dino Dan and is based on the popular TV show. Now, I have to admit I have never seen the show, so I have no idea what it was all about really.When the set came out a few years back, I was interested in the sauropods and ceratopsian, as well as the Corythosaurus from the set.
Like the Discovery kids set, they came in box sets as well. The figures are brightly colored and really not that well sculpted. Does the figures look familiar? It should be, since they were made by none other than Geoworld! :) But this set was released way before Geoworld and it's expedition series became a thing.
I quickly lost interest in the line and did not try to get more after the initial figures that I got. In short, it will be years later that I got the rest of the figures in the Geoworl series ( they re the same figures).
Anyway, here are the few that I got.

They also came with cards

The box

In closing, this is nothing to be excited about, and as you can see, I quickly lost interest in the set. Today, you can get this figures in the Geoworld line.
That's it for today, hope you enjoyed it and till the next post, Cheers! :)

Halichoeres

I hated that logo on the Discovery Kids/Jakks Pacific figures, but I eventually realized that the logo is just a sticker. If you peel it off, there's just a flat circle the same color as the figure, which is much less obtrusive. I personally prefer them that way (I still have that Othnielia/Othnielosaurus because nobody else will make one!). Probably makes it worth less, but they're not terribly sought after anyway.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

The Discovery dinosaurs are cultured figures for a collector, at least in my case. As for Geoworld honestly the only one I like about this group is the corythosaurus, true that Geoworld has made good figures, but honestly they exceeded in quantity and unfortunately the quality is what happened to them.

Thank you for your Boki photos are great as always.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: