News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Museum für Naturkunde Berlin [image heavy]

Started by Lanthanotus, January 15, 2018, 09:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Surely everyone of you knows the image of the mounted Brachiosaurus/Giraffatitan skeleton in Berlin as it is depicted in almost every dinosaur book I know of. Few years back the skeleton was updated so the old static tail dragger now comes in a way more active pose. With 13.27m height it claims to be the biggest dinosaur skeleton in the world permanently mounted. And the exihibition got even more as I found out after my first visit for more than 12 years.... so here we go...

While official agrrement accepts it as Giraffatitan, the exhibition's description still says Brachiosaurus.
Impressive nevertheless and the general information given isn't bad at all though it could be more extensive.

Dicraeosaurus; Brachiosaurus skull; Diplodocus; Kentrosaurus

Some small Ornithopoda of which I forgot the name..., Elaphrosaurus and an Allosaurus that
peaks through a glass wall; Allosaurus teeth and bones

Original Archaeopteryx, "Berlin Specimen", a fossil of international renown not least cause its beauty;
Archaeopteryx skeleton reconstruction; slabs from Solnhofen, showing pterosaurs and other fauna.

Neighbouring rooms show the art of taxidermy, a most impressive and extensive mineral collection,
a meteor impact simulator and a Dracorex(?) skull. The Dodo is a build up as every other one you will ever see,
as not one specimen of this curious bird has been saved for the sake of man's ignorance.

Original Brachiosaurus shoulder plate, easily as big as I am (1.74m)

Tristan Otto, a real surprise to find that specimen in Berlin's collection, didin't know of the story around that fossil.
Original skull bones are presented in a cabinet and mounted in a way that allows single bones (fragements) to be
removed for scientific work.

Especially for Halichoeres.... a vast room filled with a climate controlled glass cube of like
12 by 25 by 5 metres filled to the brim with wet samples - just of fish. Other wet samples
must be stored somewhere else and I guess that's not even all the fish they have as I could
not spot any vessels with fish of more than a metre or a metre and half. I was impressed
though I guess you see such on a daily basis :)

Last but no least.... some wonderfully outdated murals of prehistoric reptiles on the outer
front of the Berliner Zoo Aquarium and an Iguanodon at the entrance to the zoo.

Simon

Its a beautiful skeletal mount of that Brach .. Giraf .. err.. WHATEVER, but the neck is almost certainly mounted incorrectly (its too upright and probably should follow the gentler upright slope of the backbone) ... thanks for the photos - it looks like a wonderful exhibit!!  8) 8) 8)

Libraraptor

I have been to this Museum once and can't describe my feelings when I stood in front of that Archaeopteryx.

Moodyraptor

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 15, 2018, 10:53:13 PM
I have been to this Museum once and can't describe my feelings when I stood in front of that Archaeopteryx.

I agree, this is an amazing fossil, and seeing pictures hadn't prepared me for the detail and the delicacy of it.

I visited in back in early 2015, prior to Tristan Otto's arrival, I am very sorry I missed seeing it.

The wet room display is absolutely amazing.

Halichoeres

Wow, great photos! I hope I can visit one day. The only place I've been to in Berlin is the rather grim airport.

Thanks especially for the dead fish photos!  ;D
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sinornis

Those were spectacular photos!! I really enjoy, and appreciate every different museum postings, each a unique experience.
The Archaeopteryx fossil photo alone is an incentive to plan a future trip! Thanks again!  :)

http://avianmusing.blogspot.com/

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.