You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Any Recommendatins on good Sinornthosaurus models?

Started by Beegfood, January 20, 2018, 12:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beegfood

Do you guys have any recommendations on good Sinornithosaurus models?

Roselaar

I only know of the Safari toob figure and it's not particularly appealing.

stargatedalek

You're better off using that Microraptor from that same toob as Sinornithosaurus than using the one from the Feathered Dinosaurs toob. The Carnegie Microraptor would actually be a decent stand-in, even has the right colours.

Beegfood

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 20, 2018, 06:16:08 PM
You're better off using that Microraptor from that same toob as Sinornithosaurus than using the one from the Feathered Dinosaurs toob. The Carnegie Microraptor would actually be a decent stand-in, even has the right colours.

Thats right,
but do you guys know any shapeways models or kits?

Sim

The heads of Sinornithosaurus and Microraptor are fairly different.  The Safari toob Microraptor and the Carnegie Microraptor have heads that don't look like the head of Sinornithosaurus.  Their snouts are too short for Sinornithosaurus, and they lack Sinornithosaurus's longer teeth.  A comparison between Sinornithosaurus and Microraptor can be seen below:

Microraptor:
  (image source)

Sinornithosaurus (adult above, juvenile below):
  (image source)

As far as I know, the only toy of Sinornithosaurus is the Safari toob one.  I'm actually quite fond of this figure, it's the figure I like the most from the Feathered Dinos toob.  Though I do think Sinornithosaurus would've had feathers that formed wings on its forelimbs like in other dromaeosaurids, and that it might have had leg wings too like its close relatives Microraptor and Changyuraptor.  So, I'd like a Sinornithosaurus toy to be made which I'll find a satisfying representation of the animal.  I hoped Sinornithosaurus would be made for Beasts of the Mesozoic, but disappointingly it wasn't.

I know of one other Sinornithosaurus model, although I don't know much about it.  It's the one acro-man showed here, but I see Beegfood already knows about it: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5977.msg177555#msg177555

Beegfood

Quote from: Sim on January 21, 2018, 12:34:50 AM

The heads of Sinornithosaurus and Microraptor are fairly different.  The Safari toob Microraptor and the Carnegie Microraptor have heads that don't look like the head of Sinornithosaurus.  Their snouts are too short for Sinornithosaurus, and they lack Sinornithosaurus's longer teeth.  A comparison between Sinornithosaurus and Microraptor can be seen below:

Microraptor:
  (image source)

Sinornithosaurus (adult above, juvenile below):
  (image source)

As far as I know, the only toy of Sinornithosaurus is the Safari toob one.  I'm actually quite fond of this figure, it's the figure I like the most from the Feathered Dinos toob.  Though I do think Sinornithosaurus would've had feathers that formed wings on its forelimbs like in other  :-*, and that it might have had leg wings too like its close relatives Microraptor and Changyuraptor.  So, I'd like a Sinornithosaurus toy to be made which I'll find a satisfying representation of the animal.  I hoped Sinornithosaurus would be made for Beasts of the Mesozoic, but disappointingly it wasn't.

I know of one other Sinornithosaurus model, although I don't know much about it.  It's the one acro-man showed here, but I see Beegfood already knows about it: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5977.msg177555#msg177555

Yap, that one is beautiful...
Sadly its unavailable and too expensive :'(

stargatedalek

Personally I put precedence on a figure having generally correct features over one comparatively small detail just because that detail is skeletal. To elaborate I would say it's far closer to the real animal to label a Microraptor figure with a snout ever so slightly too short as Sinornithosaurus than to reference a figure intended as Sinornithosaurus that doesn't have proper forelimb wings and is missing the leg wings entirely. I give precedence to those since those are features that heavily influence the animals appearance whereas a comparatively minute difference in snout length is hard to notice in anything that isn't quite large, and is really only going to be found if you look for it.

A good Microraptor's jaws are mostly obscured by feathers anyway, so the exact profile of the skull shouldn't be cause for alarm.

Sim

Quote from: Beegfood on January 21, 2018, 06:47:43 AM
Though I do think Sinornithosaurus would've had feathers that formed wings on its forelimbs like in other  :-*, and that it might have had leg wings too like its close relatives Microraptor and Changyuraptor.  So, I'd like a Sinornithosaurus toy to be made which I'll find a satisfying representation of the animal.  I hoped Sinornithosaurus would be made for Beasts of the Mesozoic, but disappointingly it wasn't.

Yap, that one is beautiful...
Sadly its unavailable and too expensive :'(

It's weird that in that part of my post you quoted it has " :-*" which I didn't put in my post, instead of "dromaeosaurids" which is what I said there.

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 21, 2018, 02:41:30 PM
Personally I put precedence on a figure having generally correct features over one comparatively small detail just because that detail is skeletal. To elaborate I would say it's far closer to the real animal to label a Microraptor figure with a snout ever so slightly too short as Sinornithosaurus than to reference a figure intended as Sinornithosaurus that doesn't have proper forelimb wings and is missing the leg wings entirely. I give precedence to those since those are features that heavily influence the animals appearance whereas a comparatively minute difference in snout length is hard to notice in anything that isn't quite large, and is really only going to be found if you look for it.

A good Microraptor's jaws are mostly obscured by feathers anyway, so the exact profile of the skull shouldn't be cause for alarm.

I see where you're coming from, and that's one way of going about it.  However, I don't agree the snouts of those Microraptor figures differ so little from Sinornithosaurus's with regards to the length of the snout and teeth.  There's a fairly big difference between them, their heads totally lack the unusual elongate look that makes Sinornithosaurus look so distinctive.  I notice this without having to look for it.  If one wants to use them to represent Sinornithosaurus, I think they can work as generic stand-ins if it doesn't matter their heads don't look much like Sinornithosaurus's.  The toob Sinornithosaurus on the other hand looks like a Sinornithosaurus, although without wing feathers dromaeosaurids are known to have.

I have seen a few restorations where it's not been immediately noticeable whether they could represent Microraptor or Sinornithosaurus (close inspection revealed the answer though).  The toob Microraptor and Carnegie Microraptor are not examples of this though, their snouts look relatively small which is the opposite of what Sinornithosaurus's is like!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.