News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Schleich's little advertising fail...

Started by Primeval12, January 23, 2018, 09:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primeval12

Anyone else notice anything wrong with this advertisement?

Lanthanotus

Not that I am particular fan of Papo's JP Rex, but that's hilarious..... I frequently wonder how companies hire advertising agencies or if there is any "quality control"....

DinoToyForum

Just saw this on their Facebook page. Hehe. ;D

Roselaar

This is a joke, right? Please tell me Schleich isn't that stupid... Or did they buy Papo or something?

Reptilia

I don't understand what this advert is supposed to say, regardless of the fact that there's another brand's figure involved. Be it by mistake or on purpose.

ITdactyl

"Buy Schleich... imagine you have a Papo"

Carnosaur

I just had to share because its too funny lol
This was taken from Schleich's own facebook page.

CityRaptor

Haha. Wait, it make sense! It's clearly a matter of perspective!  You are seeing a kid holding a Schleich T.rex, but the kid is looking at you! So "you" are clearly a Papo T.rex. Or he is looking at your Papo T.rex...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

Quote from: Roselaar on January 23, 2018, 10:05:26 PM
This is a joke, right? Please tell me Schleich isn't that stupid... Or did they buy Papo or something?

No, this really is on there Facebook page.

CityRaptor

Oh no

Patrx

I've merged the topics together :) Pretty amusing decision by Schleich's social media team!

stargatedalek

So not only is Schleich using the frankly unsettling sentiment of; "It doesn't matter what our products look like, your kids aren't smart enough to care!" but they actually used another companies product in their advertising, and implied it was an example of a superior product.

Reptilia

Oh I got it. They wanted to say that children imagine a real dinosaur whereas you can only see a toy. But instead of a CG work or something they've put a Papo figure to represent the real thing. I just can't understand how this got the green light though, how they couldn't notice?

Simon

Quote from: Carnosaur on January 23, 2018, 10:13:54 PM
I just had to share because its too funny lol
This was taken from Schleich's own facebook page.

Schleich ... is using a Papo figure - to sell its own wares?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

OK Papo - Your turn - isn't a "Cease-and-desist Letter" in order?

Renecito

Quote from: Reptilia on January 23, 2018, 10:59:28 PM
Oh I got it. They wanted to say that children imagine a real dinosaur whereas you can only see a toy. But instead of a CG work or something they've put a Papo figure to represent the real thing. I just can't understand how this got the green light though, how they couldn't notice?

I think that was the plan but it didn't turned out well. Someone put the wrong "almost real T. Rex" picture.! LoL
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

CityRaptor

Probably happened like this.

Schleich Boss: We need a picture of a Tyrannosaurus Rex for advertising. Must look like this one. *holds up Schleich T.rex*
Schleich PR : Okay, boss. *some Google image search* Yeah that kinda looks like ours.
Schleich Boss: Excellent!

Later:
Person: It's the Papo T.rex.
Schleich PR: Oopps!
Schleich Boss: YOU IDIOT!
Oh no

Reptilia

If Schleich is actually that ruthless, cynic company that people always say seems rather unbelievable how amateurishly they managed this. Like you do everything to overpower your competitors in stores and then you fall into such a ridiculous own goal.

SBell

Quote from: Reptilia on January 23, 2018, 11:47:10 PM
If Schleich is actually that ruthless, cynic company that people always say seems rather unbelievable how amateurishly they managed this. Like you do everything to overpower your competitors in stores and then you fall into such a ridiculous own goal.

They're ruthless with retailers...apparently, not so much with their own marketing. I'm sure someone will get fired of course.

And Papo will immediately hire them as marketers! It's too bad these companies have the Social Media awareness of the average caveperson, because this could have turned into a hilarious twitter battle (imagine a McDs ad that accidentally uses a Whopper or something like that...Twitter would implode)

Brontozaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 23, 2018, 11:18:36 PM
Probably happened like this.

Schleich Boss: We need a picture of a Tyrannosaurus Rex for advertising. Must look like this one. *holds up Schleich T.rex*
Schleich PR : Okay, boss. *some Google image search* Yeah that kinda looks like ours.
Schleich Boss: Excellent!

Later:
Person: It's the Papo T.rex.
Schleich PR: Oopps!
Schleich Boss: YOU IDIOT!

I feel like that's exactly what happened. Papo's toys turn up so much in stock images, the marketers probably just bought the rights to one without knowing.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Primeval12

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.