News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Instant Collection

Started by Pawnosuchus, February 02, 2018, 01:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pawnosuchus

I am seriously considering selling my entire collection.  The catch is that I have NO interest in selling it piecemeal . I don't want to watch my diorama go gradually extinct.  Anyone interested can view my collection on the dinotoyblog on youtube.  Needless to say there are quite a few sought after figures.  In addition I have added a safari Regalisaurus and a safari Malawisaurus since the video was taken.  Whie the figures are not in mint condition most are in good shape except for some dust.  I will throw in all the plastic plants and a few loose bones. Dirt and rocks are not included. There are 396 figures in this collection.  Once again I am interested in selling the entire collection in one piece so it will not be inexpensive. Let me know if anyone is interested. I undertand that this may be too large n investment for most of you. Take Care.
                                                   Pawnosuchus.

Libraraptor

I would like to know how come one wants to sell his/her complete collection?

BrontoScorpio

Hi,
You've got cool Diorama there - and I noticed some very desirable items.
But, I really don't think you'll be able to sell the entire collection in one piece - unless you ask for a really low price for so many items.
most collectors have some stock of their own and will not pay postage of 20 pounds for just few items they need.
I can also advice you to take a few group pictures of your collection preferably sorted by brand -
I think it will help you, since watching the whole video and trying to keep up with exactly what you have may be found as somewhat tiring by some.
but, again, you can never really know - you might get lucky and sell the whole bunch in one gulp ...
good luck anyway.

p.s.
I join my previous comentator in his question...

RobinGoodfellow

On this Forum (and also on DTF v1) there are some collector's posts about selling a complete collection.
Each of them told that selling an entire collection is almost impossible.
The main suggestion is about doing some lot of figures and/or selling the rare ones individually or in a small lot.
You could easily sell your entire collection that way, even here on DTF.
Good Luck to you.  ^-^

ceratopsian

I too think you will get much better prices for your rare and sought after figures if you sell them individually.  If you want to sell the whole collection, this will push down the prices for the rarities.  And of course keen collectors will already have good sized collections and won't want to acquire too many duplicates.  Space issues for most of us mean duplicates aren't desirable and although it's possible to sell them on, it's a lot of work!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 02, 2018, 09:47:06 AM
I too think you will get much better prices for your rare and sought after figures if you sell them individually.  If you want to sell the whole collection, this will push down the prices for the rarities.  And of course keen collectors will already have good sized collections and won't want to acquire too many duplicates.  Space issues for most of us mean duplicates aren't desirable and although it's possible to sell them on, it's a lot of work!

I think you nailed it.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

Nevermind paying an additional 50-100 dollars for shipping for multiple toys you might have zero interest in, need for or space to save.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Pawnosuchus

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice.  I have no doubt that you are correct regarding the difficulty in selling the whoe collection. I just don't want to spend the next year negotiating and shipping out piece by piece.  As to why I would want to sell it at all, that's an interesting question.  I've  significantly slowed down in my purchases the last few years and have spent less time on my  collection.  Although my passion for dinosaurs has somewhat cooled, I still enjoy my collection.  I am by no means locked in or desperate to sell them.  As I said, I am considering selling and am exploring the idea. I realize I woud not receive full value but considering the size and the desirability of some of the figures it could be worthwhile to me.  Thanks again for the advice.

Shonisaurus

Think twice before selling the entire collection. The same then you will regret, especially if you renew your passion for dinosaurs and collecting. I give you the advice of a friend.

But if you want to sell the collection, I recommend you as other members of the forum have commented that you sell them in parts. You will earn more money financially than if you sell it all at once. There are figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals (especially the discontinued ones that are worth a lot of money). I recommend prudence, first of all.

UK

If you do decide to break the collection up for sale, I imagine you will receive a significant amount of pm's. Great collection. I regularly prune my collection to avoid stagnation and ignite the bug for finding new and alternative replacements.

Reptilia

I think that an instant collection is exactly the opposite of my general idea of collecting. I only started with prehistoric figurines three years ago, but I've spread my purchases all along that period of time, and never bought more than two at a time. Maybe three just once. This way I enjoyed every single addition to my collection, whereas buying a huge lot in one go would just bring out the fun for me. But I understand that if you want to get rid of stuff might become tiresome to go through the process of selling it piece by piece.

terrorchicken

keep the ones you like the most and start selling your least favorite ones first...

UK

Quote from: Pawnosuchus on February 02, 2018, 01:24:36 AM
I am seriously considering selling my entire collection.  The catch is that I have NO interest in selling it piecemeal . I don't want to watch my diorama go gradually extinct.  Anyone interested can view my collection on the dinotoyblog on youtube.  Needless to say there are quite a few sought after figures.  In addition I have added a safari Regalisaurus and a safari Malawisaurus since the video was taken.  Whie the figures are not in mint condition most are in good shape except for some dust.  I will throw in all the plastic plants and a few loose bones. Dirt and rocks are not included. There are 396 figures in this collection.  Once again I am interested in selling the entire collection in one piece so it will not be inexpensive. Let me know if anyone is interested. I undertand that this may be too large n investment for most of you. Take Care.
                                                   Pawnosuchus.

If you're still seriously considering a bulk sale, i could give you the name name of someone who might be able to help. Bear in mind you would get the same price as if you sold the rarities stand alone and that ultimately it will be broken up to be sold.

Steve

SidB

I could suggest another option. Do sell the valuable ones in small groups or individually. Trying to sell the entire collection at once generally means that the people who want just the desirables won't buy anything. Once you have sold the high value items, then GIVE AWAY the rest to someone you know or even to a day-care, for example, for kids to enjoy. I've done this and have never regretted doing so.

Just a thought.

BlueKrono

Have you put out how much you were looking to sell it for?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SBell

I just sold a very large amount of my larger-figure collection. Rather than give a single-lot price, I divided things into large chunks with set(ish) prices. And then being a little flexible (pulling some pieces out of each lot, that sort of thing)

As it was, I think only the large lot ever actually got advertised on the site here; most of the lots that I put together wound up selling to my buyer rather than me having to go through multiple negotiations!

Now I just have one modest-sized lot left of the stragglers! I think they were mostly ones that he already had. I think he's a member here, but I'm not sure.

Pawnosuchus

First of all, I would like to thank all the Forum members for their advice and suggestions regarding the selling of my collection.  You guys are great!  With that being said,I have come to an agreement to sell the entire collection for a price that I believe is very fair to both parties.  I have been collecting those figures for over fifty years so it was not an easy decision.  I remember the thrill of being able to add a Styracosaurus to my first Marx playset in the 1950's.  I still have that playset by the way. Its what started me on collecting dinosaurs and I'm not going to part with it.  I also have an extensive collection of books and fossils so I am not done with my hobby.  It's just taking a newer direction. It wil be a few months until my dinosaur world is totally packed up so I may make one last video.  Changes are minor since the last video so i'm not sure it would be worth it. I will still be around on the forum. I go to a lot of yard sales and will be keeping my eyes open for figures for you guys. Thanks again, Take care and good luck searching for that one rare one you need for your collection.
                                                                                            Regards,
                                                                                            Bill

ceratopsian

I'm so glad to hear that you have achieved the outcome you wanted.  Goodness - I can see how it wouldn't be an easy decision for you.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.