News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Favorite Co. Ltd. Softmodels

Started by Bokisaurus, July 28, 2012, 03:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

If you'd like to try one of the newer ones let me know..I have a couple I'll sell.  Including a spinosaurus.

tanystropheus

The Favorite Styracosaurus is on par with the Papo Styracosaurus and the new Favorite Ankylosaurus is superior to the Carnegie Ankylosaurus. Also, the  Favorite Plesiosaurus (both versions) are the best in the market.

In general, there is not a whole lot of negatives to say about Favorite other than their silly, dumb colors . Stylistically speaking, Araki tends to produce leaner models.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 11, 2013, 12:42:58 AM
The Favorite Styracosaurus is on par with the Papo Styracosaurus and the new Favorite Ankylosaurus is superior to the Carnegie Ankylosaurus. Also, the  Favorite Plesiosaurus (both versions) are the best in the market.

In general, there is not a whole lot of negatives to say about Favorite other than their silly, dumb colors . Stylistically speaking, Araki tends to produce leaner models.
I like Favorite quite a bit, although I am not crazy about how skinny Araki makes his models. I don't think herbivores, such as Triceratops, were so lean as he depicts them. They were probably very muscular and powerfully built. You might be able to get away with giving theropods a delicate, bird-like build, but not the herbivores, imo.

Still, they're great models and a lot better than some of the junk that's out there today :)

QuoteI would rank Favorite ahead of Papo for accuracy, but I give Papo style points for some of their models like Triceratops and Stegosaurus. In fact I would rank Favorite, Carnegie and Papo as the top three in that order. Everybody else is way behind those top three, and that includes Wild Safari, Bullyland, Collecta, and Schleich.
I agree, although I have to give CollectA points for originality.

Blade-of-the-Moon

He's probably following GSP's designs..his dinos tend to be on the lean side. 

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 11, 2013, 06:13:24 AM
He's probably following GSP's designs..his dinos tend to be on the lean side.

I think GSP's Trike has a thicker neck, wider body and seems thicker built overall. It has thinner legs and ankles but that's about it. Maybe it's just Araki's unique style.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Might be....could be based on some older work as well.

tyrantqueen

Isn't that Bakker's work? I thought you meant GSP :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

That is it is. Though apparently this is what inspired GSP to do restorations in this format. It's possible for inspiration this could have been used.  It's hard keeping up with what's current , especially when references you find don't have dates. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Takama

Blade-of-the-Moon

ITdactyl

woah... a sauropod... and it's not even on the official site yet.  Nice.  Can anyone confirm if this is news?

It's not even on their facebook account.  The 2014 previews only have the upcoming vinyl allosaurus, brachiosaurus and plesiosaurus and some previews/silhouettes of a mammoth, saber tooth cat and prehistoric plants (says in development and for release within the year).

Do they even make museum exclusive figures?

postsaurischian

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 01, 2014, 03:15:48 AM
Is this news ? :

:o Argh! Yes it is! I'll do my best to find out what it is.

Where is the pic from? Was there anything written (even when it's Japanese) with it?

Quote from: ITdactyl on February 01, 2014, 08:47:44 AM
Do they even make museum exclusive figures?

Yes, they do. They did a special coloured T. rex years ago and they did a Saurolophus and a Tarbosaurus for the Gobi exhibition last year. For the Fukui Museum they did 3 desktop models (Fukuiraptor, Tarbosaurus, Mamenchisaurus).

This sauropod seems to be another museum model.

ITdactyl

Blade sure knows how to fuel the excitement here....

thanks postsaurischian - I vaguely remember seeing the tarbosaurus here in the forums.  I try [really hard] to stick to collecting pterosaurs, but this 'pod is screaming "BUY ME!!!"  I just hope it won't cost an arm and a leg 'cause I already sold my spares. ;D

Roselaar

Oh no, not another impossible to find Museum Exclusive... and such a gorgeous one too!

Ikessauro

The sculptor of the model, forgot the name, said on his facebook page it's an exclusive... an yet unnamed sauropod. Tamba Titanosaur, something like that.

EDIT: Here's the sculptor's facebook profile, Hirokazu Tokugawa

Blade-of-the-Moon

lol.. Someone shared the photo and I just snagged it.  Didn't see any info posted.

The Sauro and Tarbo made it to ebay I know.  I haven't seen the exclusive desktop models yet anywhere for sale.

Bokisaurus

Yes, that is a new figures that, alas, going to be another museum exclusive :(
I better notify amy contact and see if he could hunt this one for me ^-^

ITdactyl

Wow, Tokugawa-san really makes nice models.  Thanks for sharing the FB links.  I guess the practical way to snatch one is to have someone from Japan buy and ship...

...March it is then..... >:D

tyrantqueen

Quote from: ITdactyl on February 01, 2014, 08:11:34 PM
Wow, Tokugawa-san really makes nice models.  Thanks for sharing the FB links.  I guess the practical way to snatch one is to have someone from Japan buy and ship...

...March it is then..... >:D
Last year Postsaurischian had a Japanese friend who visited one of the expos and was able to bring back models that people wanted. Perhaps he might be able to do so again this year.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: