You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Psittacosaurus family plastic, vinyl and resin toys

Started by amargasaurus cazaui, July 28, 2012, 08:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Libraraptor on November 23, 2013, 05:31:36 PM
That paintjob and base of the CollectA Psittacosaurus are really beautiful! Did I miss a new trend while I was away?!
Are you referring to my own obsession with Psittacosaurs in general or having Martin repaint and base the figures? I like having a few different interpretations of each Psittacosaurus,as a rule. But more than that, i look at the various models and I imagine what they might look like painted differently or given a base to accent the figure. Time after time I have sent Martin the most mundane dinosaur figures and they come back with colors and bases that make them suitable for a museum shelf. Money well spent...hard to place a price tag on satisfaction done so well.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Libraraptor

I was away quite a long time, and when I came back I saw some great dinosaur models made even better by painting them new and adding a base. I meant this trend, not the Psittacosaurus-trend ;-)

amargasaurus cazaui

Well I guess it might be fair to say I have had a number of models martin-ized. I am unsure if that is a trend or just a personnal like for how Martin does the model paint schemes and bases. Only thing I can state for sure is....count on it to continue.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Carnosaur

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Carnosaur on December 07, 2013, 05:08:23 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 02, 2012, 01:29:29 AM
Copper's work?

That is a really lovely repaint!
I like it a lot.
IF you are referring to the psittacosaurus Copper painted for me, I can say this much. When you stand it in a space and look closely at it, it looks alive. The eyes, and shading are so well done the piece just literally looks like it could just walk across the counter and go "Greeeeeeeep" and then run off across the floor. It is a gorgeous piece and quite unique and I am very proud of it. Thanks for your thoughts !!

amargasaurus cazaui

While this little guy is just a standard Carnegie figure I chose to add him here due to his unique tail signature.

amargasaurus cazaui

New member of the herd....commission to Martin Garrat....amazing job. I specified the colors mostly as I wanted a green Carnegie piece for my grouping.  Martin did a stunning job with this.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Very nicely done. Green is a pain to make look good and realistic I think..but I keep seeing forum members that pull it off so well !

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

amargasaurus cazaui

I call this little guy Cardoyle. I commissioned Martin to recreate the Carnegie Psittacosaurus paint scheme to this sculpt by Aaron.I have in the back of my mind to display the two pieces together to suggest possible species differences or perhaps growth stages. I have seen alot of Carnegie figure repaints but this one puts a unique spin on the idea

amargasaurus cazaui

I commissioned Martin to recreate the paint scheme used for my Psittacosaurs family group, using Shapeways models, on a Carnegie Psittacosaurus. Stunning results !!!

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

amargasaurus cazaui

The psittacosaurus decided to have a family reunion here today and I got a few pictures, enjoy !!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

The JP piece is really cool ! I had also had no idea you could repaint the Carnegie Psittaco so many times and they all look great !

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 17, 2014, 04:26:33 PM
The JP piece is really cool ! I had also had no idea you could repaint the Carnegie Psittaco so many times and they all look great !
I display these models along with the Yinlong, along with the skeleton of the Psittacosaurus that I have. Inevitably I get asked, what did he look like alive. I provide the models as a set of different "takes" or concepts how the dinosaur might have looked. Given that psittacosaurus had such a wide geographical range and covered such a large temporral zone , I think it likely that there were species that were adapted for swamp dwelling, forest living and desert climates, and any other ecological niche that was possible . The models are suggestive of this idea. Once Aaron did his set of sculpts this opened another dimension for me, in being able to demonstrate a different body "style" than just the Carnegie....
People that collect triceratops or tyrannosaurus have it easy. There are dozens of highly accurate scupts out there in every size and shape for those. When you collect a dinosaur so off the beaten path, like Psittacosaurus, there are just not many models to choose from and of those, even less that even resemble a living animal as it might have been.
Shanes new piece is exciting for me as well. It is far too large to go inside the display case I use for this purpose, but it would pose nicely atop the cabinet . I have that planned for it , when I display it here at home.
       I do need to stop and throw some props out there for those displays however. You cannot look at them and not notice the number of Martin Garratt works in the batch, and there is also a STUNNING and almost lifelike Carnegie version done by Copper. WHen I look at that piece it is so well done I think it is watching me. There is also a version done by Bob Morales included in the group. Then of course there are all of the Aaron Doyle sculpts from Shapeways. These guys deserve alot of credit for creating so much. Even the Jurassic park sign, which was done for me by Manuel Bejerano !!!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Lots of familiar names there, many from the forum here..I love that !

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 18, 2014, 12:41:13 AM
I was delighted the day Manuel offered to adjust the Jurassic park sign so I could have one for the Psittacosaurus display. Like I said, people that collect raptors or Tyrannosaurus get all the nice models and stuff.....it was nice having something done for the parrot beaks !!!!
  Yes, this is a collection that has flourished, although I bet Martin is deadly sick of painting psittacosaurus models !!!Now that the carnegie model is getting somewhat difficult to obtain I may rethink having had so many copies repainted but for me they are each far better than the factory version. I did keep one stock tagged version and one stock version signed by Forest however so all is not lost.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 18, 2014, 12:49:43 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 18, 2014, 12:41:13 AM
I was delighted the day Manuel offered to adjust the Jurassic park sign so I could have one for the Psittacosaurus display. Like I said, people that collect raptors or Tyrannosaurus get all the nice models and stuff.....it was nice having something done for the parrot beaks !!!!
  Yes, this is a collection that has flourished, although I bet Martin is deadly sick of painting psittacosaurus models !!!Now that the carnegie model is getting somewhat difficult to obtain I may rethink having had so many copies repainted but for me they are each far better than the factory version. I did keep one stock tagged version and one stock version signed by Forest however so all is not lost.

Cool. I like getting one to put on the shelf and one to play around with ( repaint, use for a sculpture, ect.. )

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

amargasaurus cazaui

I expect another super nice Psittacosaurus model to be offered this late spring. What an exciting time for Psittacosaurus fans !!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: