You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on November 20, 2021, 06:24:33 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on November 20, 2021, 03:11:03 PM
Very cool haul! Exactly my cup of tea!
Of all people, I was expectiong you 'Libraraptor' for a followup about any other German brands worth having ...

Well, I guess it depends what`s "worth". I grew up with the tiny surprise egg dinosaurs (~1978) and loved them. Never had all of them, just some and nowadays just one is left (I reviewed it for the blog ages ago) and while they are more or less readily available, I have not added them to my collection yet. Nevertheless, they have a very classic charme. Surprise egg collectors are out for specific color variants, so for some figures vastly differenting prices are called, however, a full set can be hunted down for 70 to 90 Euro usually.... click!

Grimbeard

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 20, 2021, 07:35:37 PM

If I remember correctly, the seller wrote in the description that he was not sure about the exact nature of this piece either. Although it was indeed made out of blue material and not painted. Sold for 70 Euros or something like that.

Since Kleinwelka was producing in the last years of the DDR, I'm sure they were facing constant material shortages. Wouldnt be surprised if they used any plastic they could get their hands on to produce their figures and used blue plastic because thats the only one they could get at that time when they produced that iguanodon.

Still amazes me to this day how well made the Kleinwelka figures were for their time.Their Iguanodon is in my oppinion the best depiction of the vintage "kangaroo-lizard" style.  Franz Gruß, the guy who build the Kleinwelka Sauriespark by himself and surley only had limited access to any western sources, did a great job with his statues at the time. I'm note sure how involved he was with the production of the figures, but considering how closely they match his statues, I would guess they came directly from him.

While I'm not much of a collector of retro figures, I can understand the charm they have. They feel more primal, foreboding and ancient that newer interpretations. They are also a time capsule of a differnt mindset, both in science and society.  Its really great to see that our hobby is so broad that it can satisfy so many different type of collectors and interests.

Regarding other german brands: there is Wild Past, but they are a very recent company. There is also Cornelißen, some of their figures are sold at Urzeitshop.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Lanthanotus on November 20, 2021, 07:40:46 PM
[... I grew up with the tiny surprise egg dinosaurs (~1978) and loved them. ... however, a full set can be hunted down for 70 to 90 Euro usually.... click!
Thanks, So after a quick, not binding in any sort, search about dinosaurs figures in germany -
I came up there may be 3 sets of tiny dinosaurs that I still may get :

1. Marx Painted version - I think it was made for some expo in Berlin. I'm not really sure.
Problem is - I don't think they will fit nicely on my shelf with the Monochrome marx :

2. U Ei dinosaurs from the late 70th -
Not sure about them. cute as they are - something too 'toyish' maybe :

3. Diw welt der dinosaurier set -
I think this is just the way 'Play Visions' dinos where distributed in Germany : 

All together, 3 small colourful sets.
Appealing indeed - not sure about how they fit on my particular shelves...

Shonisaurus

What are the coolest retro figures, honestly they are all very beautiful and the most interesting in my case are the dinosaurs from the American factory that you mention in your last photograph. Where could I find those dinosaurs? I love that company from which I have the great fortune to have the paleorchestes, uintatherium and smilodon in large size.

UK

Group 2 are 1970's Kinder Egg toys. Mostly in Germany but crop up in France too. Cheaper to buy in Germany than France in my experience.

BrontoScorpio

Long since I realized the really cool vintage stuff comes from Japan.
But, on occasion, I still venture elsewhere...

And now, After the 'Kleinwelka' Set, to close another debt I had to the old continent -
the UK 'Chivers Jelly' set from 1977 with 6 Inpro dinosaurs :

And from the front:

Took them off to venture :

Had to get 3 other, to complete those I deam worthy of having :

I used to have the Inpro Brontosaurus, but, as made clear, my MOM through it away once.

There seems to be two types of Inpro Brontosaurus :

And, while we are at it - 3 kinds of color schemes for the Stegosaurus :

My Set ( not the complete Inpro dinos, as some I just don't like )   -

Back on the shelf, with the other retro minis :

From a bit far :

Duna

Oh, that leaflet/book is a gem! Congrats  ^-^ Very very rare.

By the way, very nice collection of small vintage figures  ;)

Shonisaurus

My congratulations, you have a collection of outstanding vintage figures, I understand that you are one of the DTF members with one of the best collections of vintage figures, those figures are worth a fortune, if they were resold in many cases, from my honest point of view.

BrontoScorpio

To Continue with my Interlude of western vintage :
A gigantic 180 cm Invicta poster :

It describes additional 6 more animals, both on the Index and on the painting :

And See how it dwarfs the common Invicta poster :

This reminded me another UK made museum poster I need to get -
Prehistoric Animals: A series of illustrations by David Roland - an 8 pieces work made for the Birmingham Museum :

When I was a kid - my grandparents brought me 4 postcards from this set ( from left no. 1,2,3,6 ) - after they visited the British museum, as it was called back then.
They were displayed many years above my bed - and I always had the feeling  no. 3 and no. 6 are not well connected .. there's something missing in between ...

This time I didn't go for the postcard version - but for 8 posters spanning together over 360 cm :

You can see that no. 4 has some flaws at the bottom - and I was later been sent with a fixed version.

I already allocated a long chunk of wall to make available for this massive poster set.

What brings me to the next long vintage dino poster I acquired :
A 180 cm poster copy of the "The Age of Reptiles" 34m mural by Rudolph F. Zallinger at the Yale Peabody Museum :

This one also have been allocated to a future wall - I just need to think of the way in which this is to be implemented :
- Just glue it on the wall as it is.
- Cover it with Glass.
- glue it on a flat wooden board
- any other suggestions ? ...

Ezikot

Really nice finds! Congratulations!
I can remember someone asking for that invicta poster, i guess it's quite rare.

BrontoScorpio

Yes, saw it only once - and then it was hard to devise a way to have it wrapped and safely been sent.

Shonisaurus

Nice posters and posters you have in your collection, I have always been passionate about old posters from prehistoric life. You have very good taste when it comes to collecting.

Grimbeard

That invicta poster gave me a flash back. I'm 110% sure I had that poster in my room as a elemtary years student. I think it actually came in a Micky Mouse Magazine, together with a short Flexidisc with a short dinosaur story. Sadly both are lost to time by now, but it looks as good as I remember it.

That "The Age of Reptiles" poster however is even more better. I absolutely love that mural, I think its one of the great milestones of Paleoart that immidietly invokes a sense of wonder, exitment and intrigue about prehistory. At least it did with me when I say in a book for the first time as a child. I really hope to see the original on site one day.

I would actually suggest to glue/stick the invicta one as it is on a wall to keep its late 80s/early 90s pop style, but cover it the Zallinger with glass to give it a more proper, museumesque vibe..

CityRaptor

Quote from: Grimbeard on December 04, 2021, 10:16:17 AM
That invicta poster gave me a flash back. I'm 110% sure I had that poster in my room as a elemtary years student. I think it actually came in a Micky Mouse Magazine, together with a short Flexidisc with a short dinosaur story. Sadly both are lost to time by now, but it looks as good as I remember it.

Had that, too. Research shows that it was issue 20 of 1992.
I also had the real deal shown here, although it was damaged when wall mounted shelves were installed in my room.

Quote from: Grimbeard on December 04, 2021, 10:16:17 AM
I would actually suggest to glue/stick the invicta one as it is on a wall to keep its late 80s/early 90s pop style, but cover it the Zallinger with glass to give it a more proper, museumesque vibe..

Covering the Age of Reptiles one in glass should be difficult as it is clearly part of a book about said mural:
https://www.amazon.de/Age-Reptiles-Science-Zallingers-Dinosaur/dp/0912532769
Besides that, I'm not sure the format lends itself to be put behind glass.  Out of the posters shown here, only the classic  Invicta poster could be put behind it.

avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio: These are some nice posters. Only have the classic Invicta one. Looking at your diecast JP figures, I am reminded that selling mine was a bad idea. The Iguanodon was already retro back when it was made.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 06, 2021, 12:01:04 AM
Covering the Age of Reptiles one in glass should be difficult as it is clearly part of a book about said mural:
LOL .... Of course I would first cut off the poster from the book ( before posting it on the wall ... )  :)

I think glueing it straight on the wall would be too Teenage-like of me ( sadly, I'm not at this age anymore ).
For the long ones - I am considering glueing them on a transparent 4mm plastic board ( which is much lighter than glass ) - and then hang it on the wall.

BrontoScorpio

Taking the next step in what remains with my 'conquest of the west' -
What seems to be a very rare two boxed set of 10 Battat mini Dinosaurs :

Also the back side deserves attention :

And sideways  for the name description :

Took them out for a walk :

Now with the big guys ( Their parents ? ) :

And now for the whole tribe of Battat Boston Museum Dinosaurs :

Everybody's here, except the awful version of the Dilophosaurus and the rather Toyish looking mini T-rex That, unlike all other minis, does not resemble in shape the big Rexes - all 3 versions of them ...

And while we're at it - why not show the remake set :

With comparison to the originals :

Later added :
The complete look at the shelf :

Just am sorry for not being present at the time -
Taken from the 96' Monstrosities Catalog -

Those prices have really gotten up -

Shonisaurus

My congratulations, I have those miniatures too and I can assure you that they are a true image of your figures in larger size. That company made extraordinary figures, pity that due to the death of the sculptor production was stopped. It was a company dedicated only to making dinosaurs as the only prehistoric animals. I'm glad for you.

BrontoScorpio

To wrap up with  this stage of my western search - some Ceramic vintage : Aus-Ben Studios Dinosaurs from the 80's in USA :

Currently, I have only two : Corythosaurus & Diplodocus :

Unfortunately I don't own the complete set :

You don't see here the the 'Diplodocus', that I actually saw first on Don-Glut's page :

Where I saw something very much resembles, also some sort of Ceramic made,  the TMC Deinonychus, that Unfortunately I still don't own, despite seeing it a couple of times on eBay :

Shonisaurus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: