You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenestra

Putting dinosaur figures on a shelf and making them look good together, is like having different instruments in an orchestra with a conductor (you) to make them all work together.
The end result is a perfect tune.
That is what that last picture looks to me.  ^-^

Congrats on all your purchases. Glad you finally received them in this crazy time we live in at the moment.

BrontoScorpio

You nicely put it - come to think of it.
Organizing one's shelves - or 'Shelving' ... is an Acquired skill which need to be considered.

BrontoScorpio

Saw these two cheap UKRDs and thought it would be interesting to add them to my next parcel as a sidekick :

Usually I would not go for these kind of figures - and regards them just as another case of 'Chinasaurs' ...
But this perticular line  -  The 1991 "Museum Line" - is considered the best of the UKRD Dinosayrs,
And also used to be marketed through 'Tsukuda-Hobby' of japan ( What's that ? ) - A company which I do collect :

Having compared the original Tsukuda Hobbies and the UKRD's - I realize my mistake ...
UKRD are back in the box waiting to be played with when the nephews come to visit :

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your new acquisitions. In fact, the figures you mention are obviously not up to the standards of most of the toy brands you collect, but in my case they all have their charm. I'm happy for you, you have a beautiful varied collection.

BrontoScorpio

Another big parcel with 2 FAVORITE DESKTOP items I was searching for a long time :

The Japan 2015 dino expo exclusive Turiasaurus Favorite desktop model and the 1950's Oldies Triceratops Favorite desktop model by Araki Kazunari :

From the 2015 dino expo :

For long I was wanting to present it next to the Fukui museum exclusive DESKTOP Mamenchisaurus :

Placing it under the Mamenchi's neck - it doesn't even take up any additional shelf space :

The Triceratops reminds me so much the Triceratops poster I got many years ago from the British museum :

With that, I complete the 3 out of 6(?) Oldies I wanted to have - Favorite desktop models Oldies Iguanodon , Triceratops and the 1920 Tyrannosaurus :

Also, with it - I complete the Favorite desktop Triceratops collection :

Duna

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on January 28, 2022, 07:33:20 AM
Having compared the originals and the UKRD - I realize my mistake ...
UKRD are back in the box waiting to be played with when the nephews come to visit :
Sorry, but I don't understand your sentence ...
... those are not UKRD, those are the real Tsukuda Hobby KR numbered, based on the molds of the UKRD Museum Line from 1991, so they have even the UKRD stamp, code and year on the belly. UKRD Museum line didn't have those eyes and neither that coloration. The Tsukuda version are also 12 in total, numbered from KR-01 to KR-12 and all of them have that more classy dark grey colour (some with a bit of more colours, too).

On the other hand, congrats for your new adquisitions, I love those retro sculpts. I pray that Eofauna does some day a Turiasaurus figure and Concavenator, too.

BrontoScorpio

By 'Originals', I was referring to the big 'Tsukuda Hobby's in the back - I thought it was clear - but I added a word of clarification.

And as for the smaller ones -  they are definitely a UKRD - maybe a different color variant than the '1991 Museum line' - but definitely the same figure.

And they are back in the box and away from my collection ...

Duna

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on January 29, 2022, 01:40:06 PM
By 'Originals', I was referring to the big 'Tsukuda Hobby's in the back - I thought it was clear - but I added a word of clarification.
Yes, the big Tsukudas are the original from the 80s.

QuoteAnd as for the smaller ones -  they are definitely a UKRD - maybe a different color variant than the '1991 Museum line' - but definitely the same figure.

And they are back in the box and away from my collection ...
Not quite ... same mold, yes, but definitely a 100% Tsukuda Hobby collectable. As I have stated, Tsukuda Hobby took the REAL UKRD molds and used them as theirs for their collection, that's why the UKRD stamp is on the belly. But definitely they're are not UKRD, the Museum Line is totally different in paint and doesn't have those Tsukuda eyes (that they used in their other collections, too). UKRD used lighter colours in the first version and more colourful in the second (nicknamed "blue nails") but eyes were just painted on the figures. Tsukuda personalised them (I think in a very succesful way) by using their iconic vivid eyes and matching the colors with the dark grey typical from their previous collection. So all collections matched better.

This is the head of the UKRD first version. Eyes are small and painted on the sculpt. On all the other colour variations are like that, too:
I have some pictures in the UKRD thread, but here you can see the boxed Protoceratops by Tsukuda Hobby, and the picture of the belly in which it displays obviously the UKRD stamp because those were the molds that they used. Pictures are not mine (but I would really like to have the full collection).
https://i.ibb.co/K7HMs0Q/Tsukuda-Hobby-UKRD-1991protoceratops.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/X7HgBtm/Tsukuda-Hobby-UKRD-1991protoceratops2.jpg

I can't see in your picture if they do have the distinctive eyes, it's difficult to tell appart.

BrontoScorpio

I didn't notice the difference in the head - but they are still off my collection ... :)

I already put in my original post some pictures of the boxed figures and I already showed the belly picture of my own figure -
so, you can take the Protoceratops picture down - as I don't usually like having other dinos in my collection thread.
You could probably get the Protoceratops for cheap in Japan -

I saw one Protoceratops sold 2 weeks ago, together with the Dimetrodon, for about 20$ each.
There are currently on sale 4 figures (Stegosaurus, Pachicephalosaurus, Edmontosaurus ) each for about 20$ and one cheap Parasaurolophus.

Just FYI -
I saw 3 weeks ago this complete(?)  boxed Tsukuda/UKRD sold on Mercari for 70 $

Grimbeard

I LOVE the Favorite Oldies Desktop series.  They are great references to famous (vintage) paleoart, portraying outdated, yet important "stepping stones" in our understanding and portrayal of dinosaurs AND are very well sculpted and painted.  I hope to one day hunt down the entire Iguanodon set (especially the crystal palace one).

Too bad they never made a Megalosaurus trio with the crystal palace depiction, Neave Parkers Hunchback Megalosaur and a modern version though, at least I think they never did.

Those grey UKRDs are such a contrast to the much more vividly painted blue nails series avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus posted in his thread , making them look MUCH more retro despite sharing the same sculpt.

Duna

So definitely the Tsukuda Hobby version. Thanks for confirm it.  ;) Yes, you showed the belly of your figure and said they were UKRD and I put the pics of one of the real Tsukuda Hobby's boxed figures to tell they were not, because having that UKRD stamp didn't mean they were an UKRD version, just the fact the same mold was used as, in example, Marx molds were used in many sets from other companies and they make original articles of those companies. But that eye is only Tsukuda thing.

Thanks for the almost complete (ten out of twelve) picture of the collection, it will go to my archives. And also thanks for the pictures of the figures on sale, I've seen very interesting things in them, as they are even using the 1997 mold version (the same as 1991 but doesn't say UKRD) in at least that stegosaurus. That is new and surprising for me.
Not a bad price for that nearly complete collection of boxed sets. It's a pity they were sold only in Japan.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Grimbeard on January 29, 2022, 04:35:53 PM
I hope to one day hunt down the entire Iguanodon set (especially the crystal palace one).
The Iguanodon of Crystal palace is not on my wish list - for some reason I never liked it

Too bad they never made a Megalosaurus trio with the crystal palace depiction ..
Yes, maybe - So I got the 'antediluvian miniatures' version

Those grey UKRDs are such a contrast to the much more vividly painted blue nails series avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus posted in his thread , making them look MUCH more retro despite sharing the same sculpt.
Those Depicted in my thread are much larger and detailed than what you saw at Shonisaurus.
You can learn Here about the differentlines.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Duna on January 29, 2022, 04:48:32 PM
.. because having that UKRD stamp didn't mean they were an UKRD version ...
Yes, I understand that - Just didn't want two examples of the same issue.

Shonisaurus

I am amazed at the knowledge of experts in the world of the BrontoScorpio toy dinosaur, Grimbeardy de Duna did not know that the Tsukuda Hoby company had such interesting and larger than UKRD figures that I have in my collection and presented in a box. Very interesting information.

BrontoScorpio

Back to my Japanese jems :

Kaiyodo 'Capsule Q Museum'  'Dinosaur excavation 9' - 'The Largest and strongest carnivorous dinosaur edition' by Shinobu Matsumura
( 海洋堂 カプセルQミュージアム 恐竜発掘記9最大最強肉食恐竜編 松村しのぶ )

Outside of the capsule and before assembling :

Since I don't allow skeletons into my collection - I take only the 3 restorations out of the 5 items - and leave out the 2 skeletons :
- Allosaurus
- T-res
- Spinosaurus

Next to the  2016  Dinosaur Expo ( 恐竜博2016  ) Capsule Spinosaurus :

Shonisaurus

I'm happy for you that Japanese brand is one of the best in the Asian market when it comes to miniatures of prehistoric animals.

BrontoScorpio

Just a couple of Japanese miniatures :
3 Kaiyodo Dino expo 2004 , Kaiyodo Dino Expo 2006 Figure Fukuiraptor and some ChocoQ birds still inside their capsules

DinoToyForum

Political post deleted by Admin, as per forum rule 7: "Topics concerning politics and religion are discouraged". Thanks for understanding C:-).

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 30, 2022, 11:32:44 PM
Political post deleted by Admin, as per forum rule 7: "Topics concerning politics and religion are discouraged". Thanks for understanding C:-) .
This was not a 'Political post' - rather I exhibited something I bought along.
And there's a difference between 'discouraged' and Deleting it all together ...
Never mind, arguing here seems stupid - I will save my energy for the outside world's Difficulties - I'm here for fun.

BrontoScorpio

Some more miniatures :
Kaiyodo DINOTALES special edditions :

- Dinometal
- Jurassic park institute tour
- 2002 Dino Expo chocolate

and some 'Retro Classic' Dinosaur Bottle Caps  (レトロ・クラシックダイノソア 恐竜ボトルキャップ)

But, the more exsiting are the Bandai ( バンダイ ) Rubber dinosaur collection set , called 'Latest dinosaur studies' ( 最新恐竜学 ).
released in 1993 and extremely difficult to acquire :

The lineup is very unique and 'retro' style :

sold like this, seeing here, in an archive pic :

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: