You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrontoScorpio

Now, Where to put all these new dinos ?
Have to clear some shelf space ...
I think It's time for some grand Shelves replacement ...

----------------------------------------------------------------

No free space here for the new small PVC's - I'll take out the Resins on the right  -

Now All small pvc dinos fit into one small shelf :

Close-up on the right side :

The Kaiyodo 1/35 Soft Vinyl have grown to big on the Inner shelf -
and anyway, I have to clear everything as well - in order to allocate more space for smaller items :

Same shelf - with new occupants -  some new arrivals and some evacuees of the previous shelf :

But Now, these great ones will have got to go :

And instead, the Kaiyodo 1/35 will join the entire Soft Vinyl Kaiyodo family, at the apper shelf -

Seeing for the 1st time - All together -  1/20 and 1/35 in a one long row - that's much better :

Alas, these big fellas over the kitchen cabinet, will have to pay the price of the previous shelf evacuees -

And the big ones have found their place instead :

Even had a spare room to stuff one more dino :

And the realy colossals are together now, standing in line over the fridge -

That's more like it ...  :)

BrontoScorpio

Just got a supplementary parcel of items I missed in series I presented before :

- Stegosaurus from Daiso - miniature dinosaur series.
- Fish from Yujin - Freshwater Fish Encyclopedia in Colors.
- Kaiyodo DINOLAND 1:100 Scale Elasmosaurus - the 2nd of only two Marine reptiles in the set.

Added the Yujin collection box with some of the newcomers :

BrontoScorpio

Back to my Favourite subject - New Resins ...

Got this bunch of 6 boxes with 7 small dinos inside :

I love it when you open the box and find all parts packed neetly inside ...

First, This group : 4 small 1/48 scale Resin garage kits ( レジン ガレージキット ) by Hirokazu Tokugawa ( 徳川広和 ) of Endorphin ( えんどるふぃん )

First kit - Stegosaurus :

Now built and assembled ( plenty of job with those thorns and spikes ... ) :

In comparison with the Kaiyodo 100mm DINOLAND Stegosaurus Kit - So, I figure the Kaiyodo is actually 1/50 Scale ...

Next is this 1/48 scale Kit of  Albertosaurus vs. Pachyrhinosaurus ( アルバートサウルス vs. パキリノサウルス )  :

Now built and assembled :

The  Albertosaurus  is such a feisty slender little thing ...
postsaurischian has beaten me to it with a coloured version  ...

In comparison with the Kaiyodo 100mm DINOLAND Triceratops Kit - But Pachy is supposed to be much smaller than the Trike - So, I wonder what scale the Kaiyodo actually is ...

Next, is another copy of the beautiful allosaurus fragilis ( アロサウルス フラギリス ) Kit :

Now built and assembled.
These are not two sides ...  :)  - I just happen to have two now ...

In comparison with the Kaiyodo 100mm DINOLAND Allosaurus Kit.
So, also here, I figure the Kaiyodo is actually 1/50 Scale ...

Looking from this angle - They kind of remind me of something ...

The epic 'ballad for big Al' from BBC :

Now I'm missing only the Camarasaurus ( カマラサウルス ) from this set :

TBC for the other 3 models ...

BrontoScorpio

The second part in this bunch of 6 kits :

Are 3 small kits that belongs to the Kaiyodo MINI Dinosaurs collection series by Araki Kazunari .

First - Scolosaurus ( スコロサウルス ) - Here as I found it just after when taken out of the box :

Now All built and assembled :

Next to the Ankylosaurus from the Kaiyodo Big size series :

Next - Kentrosaurus  ( ケントロサウルス ) Resin kit :

Now All built and assembled - and next to a finished version ( It appears my kit lackes a couple of spikes )  -

Here they are - both of them - in the Artpla 1986 Catalog :

And Third and last - Hypacrosaurus ( ヒパクロサウルス )

I allready built a loose version I had - so I'll keep this MIB one as a collection item.

BrontoScorpio

Another small and well detailed Resin Kit -

Pear Tree House ( 梨の木屋 )  Allosaurus Resin Garage Kit , sold at the Wonder Festival ( ワンフェス ) 2020

Some parts are really thin and slender - and should be cleaned with extra care :

Now All built and assembled now :

I like the fine texture of the skin - even though it's such a small piece :

My three small scale Resin Allosaurs - I think they are pretty much the same scale  -

AQnd away they go - into the small Resins shelf :

Leyster

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Libraraptor

BrontoScorpio

One last obscure Resin Kit for now - Which I actually got some time ago - but only now had the chance to assemble -

Goblin Factory ( ゴブリン・ファクトリー )  Quetzalcoatlus Nortropi  ( ケツァルコアトルス・ノルトロピ )  Garage Kit  ( ガレージキット ) from 1996 :

The actual model turned out to be biger than I expected, with a wing span of about 50 cm -
so, figured there is currently no shelf space available - so, I'll keep it unassembled for the time being :

But, the end result should be impressive enough - shown here along side Pteranodon ( プテラノドン ) of the same line :

But I couldn't resist no longer - so there it is - with all it's glory :

Gluing together this one had proven to be much more difficult than expected - going along narrow lines of attachments :

And the display stand :

Had to make some comparison pics of my own :

Look how it dwarfs all others :

The 'Goblin Factory's Quetzalcoatlus next to Colorata, Schleich , Kaiyodo and Papo :

One last time from above :

But now the daunting task of finding display space for my already packed small Resins shelf -
It would require some extra creativity and ingenuity to place this one onto the resin shelf ... :)

There you go - hovering over it's kingdom - and actually not taking any precious space :
( And even lending its display stand - so the Kaiyodo Mosasaurus was lucky to acquire a new surface to  perch on )

BrontoScorpio

Another Resin Pterosaur came accross my path :

clearly It is very old and very beaten :

Gave it some 'first aid' and glued it back :

Also in this case it was not a simple task :

But it took me a long time to identify this one.
Although some resemblance to 'Tamiya' and 'Airfix' - this one is from a Resin kit - not a plastic model - so I kept searching ...

Finally I solved the mystery - It is from an old Kaiyodo Resin kit from the 80's :

Kaiyodo (  海洋堂 ) King Kong vs. Pteranodon (  キングコング対プテラノドン ) 'Confrontation scene' Resin kit ( レジン キット )  -

As with 'THE VALLEY OF 1,000,000 B.C.' - I would have anyway take only the 'real' dino from the unreal scene -
And leave out the imaginary creature - even though Kong clearly is beautifuly made :

BrontoScorpio

Now for few bigger Resin kits I came to hold lately :

First, one more to my collection of the old 'Dinosaur Museum Series' from the 80's by Kaiyodo :

Kaiyodo ( 海洋堂 ) 1/35 Dilophosaurus ( ディロホサウルス ) Resin Garage Kit ( レジン  ガレージキット ) by Shinichi Yamashita ( 山下伸一 )

When looking at the Kaiyodo Catalog, I didn't notice it at first, as it was dark and obscure and you couldn't really tell what you were seeing -

As soon as I held it on hand I realized I might be facing a trouble putting the creature to stand - when just the flat section at the right ancle uses to hold it standing -

But experience does its role and the task is done.
I'm happy I fought to acquire this this mysterious looking Dilophosaurus - caught in the midst of sprinting :

BrontoScorpio

Second, one more to my collection of the old 'Dinosaur Museum Series' from the 80's by Kaiyodo :

Kaiyodo ( 海洋堂 ) 1/35 Yungchuanosaurus ( ユンチュアノサウルス or ヤンチュアノサウルス )
Resin Garage Kit ( レジン  ガレージキット ) by Kazunari Araki ( 荒木一成 )

Also in this case, it sits somewhare in a remote corner of the Kaiyodo Catalog, not being noticed too much -

The Kit itself comprised of many small parts :

When the main and biggest part is actually not a part of the animal but some display mountain :

And there it is - All built and assembled now -

This one was uniquely chalanging - as it was had to be bulit with all four legs pointing at uncertain directions - and you had to find the right angle by yourself :

So that eventually, when it is put on the mountain - all 4 legs will be balanced on the surface.

I find this model to be incredible - with its uniqu posture as it crawls down hill like a big lizard
putting one hind leg infront of one front leg - Slender and agile despite it's 30 feet size

For the time being I will not paint mine - but here's an archived color scheme suggestion :

Some words about this dinosaur, from the 86' Kaiyodo Catalog :

And about the model itself ( I don't read Japanese ... ) from the ARTPLA magazine :

Justin_

I love that Dilophosaurus. So wrong compared to current reconstructions, but so dynamic.

Fenestra

Your shelf with all the white unpainted resin models is something you don't see very often. It has a certain beauty to it I think.
Sometimes less is more.  :))

BrontoScorpio

I just find it is much more gratifying or satisfying to receive many parts that needs cleaning and assembling than to buy something already finished -
a thing that you can only put on the shelf and then forget about it ...
This way - each thorn, finger or arm were put in the final angle I had chosen for it.

As with the painting issue -
first, one can always decide to paint - it is much more difficult to 'unpaint' - so I  postpone this decision.
second, when it remains unpainted, the fact that this is a Resin kit and assembled by me stays much more obvious than if I would have paint it -
and it could pass as just another purchased PVC item.
and third, when dealing with vintage kits, you would be surprised, they considered much more valuable when left unpainted.

CityRaptor

I remember reading somewhere that this is mainly due to the fact that the people who originally painted them may not have been professionals but rather children. Of course that probably refers more to mainstream vintage kits, which includes some which are regularily re-issued, with Pyro/Life-Like/Lindberg being especially offensive in that regard.

The world needs more affordable modern kits!

That being said, unpainted vintage kits being more worth is probably also due to being MIB/MOC or at at least closer to it.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

BrontoScorpio

Pyro/Life-Like/Lindberg are Plastic kits for kids.
Totally different subject.
I have some in my warehouse - and I keep them where they belong - Deep inside their boxes ...

BrontoScorpio

This is a good opportunity to flounct out my Plastic kits collection.

I think these following 8 characters are the entire set issued - half as 'PYRO' and half as 'Life-Like Hobby Kits'.
I got them once - and I pride myself of having saved them exactly as I found them - In their boxes.
You may say they join my collection of BOXED dinos that I keep MIB as a collectors Items

Looking inside the one item that was allready opened, demonstrates why these are better kept in their boxes -
You can see how the painting on the box is far supperior to the actual model -
so I just enjoy having an old thing left untouched ...

One more set of plastic models I keep few samples of - are the Tamiya's :

Models are far newer and better made - but, of course, without any 'Vintage' value ...
but I'll keep them intact in their boxes nevertheless.
It's a nice gift to bring to a nephew or something...

One exception I'll make be probably the Tamiya Brachiosaurus.

Some day I will assemble it, together with the 'Horizon' JP Brachiosaurus -
in order to form my own Big four.

Crackington

Great to see those Pyros avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio -a complete collection too!

I think you've made the right decision not to build them as the older ones haven't stood the test of time very well and they lacked the wow factor, of the Auroras which eclipsed them in the 1970s. You can also find built models relatively cheaply, as well as the Lindberg re-issues.

I have fond memories of them nonetheless. The Stegosaurus, built by my older brothers, was the first dinosaur model I ever saw and later slipped into my childhood collection.

BrontoScorpio

Third and last for this time to my collection of the old 'Dinosaur Museum Series' from the 80's by Kaiyodo :

Kaiyodo ( 海洋堂 ) 1/35 Brachiosaurus ( ブラキオサウルス ) Resin Garage Kit ( レジン  ガレージキット ) by Kazunari Araki ( 荒木一成 )

But in this case, it is one of the centerpieces of the Kaiyodo Catalog, if not the first -
Even back when it was available -  it was costly and few ever ordered it :

I never saw it put on auction, nor did I ever expected to own one -
So, as soon as I saw - I knew I at least have to give it a shot -  Knowing it will take some effort and deep pockets ...

Seeing here, in the 86' Catalog - along other Kaiyodo  Sauropods :

Or here, at the Kaiyodo ARTPLA Magazine :

Where it was given a special page :

Or here, being handle by Don Glut himself - Distributor of early Kaiyodo in the USA :

At last, although it turned out to be My most expensive item as of yet - I have it on hand :

And what an amazing kit it is :

The main torso is a one bulky mass of resin, weighing as much as 2 kg :

It is not hollow inside - the way more modern kits are made :

Cleaning and putting together such a massive body - had its own challenges

But the task is now all done :

The necessary comparison pic with it's smaller version :

And, of course , with the 1/35 Kaiyodo Apatosaurus :

As they do have a group shot, although vague, in the old Catalog :

And now it's time to put it on the scales - like in the unforgettable scene from episode 1 of Il était une fois l'Homme arround 7:10 -

Weighing as much as three other Bracs - Invicta, Schleich & Papo :

All paying their respect :

Although almost the same hight - the bulkiness of the body and the thickness and muscularity of the tail is of a different perception :

BrontoScorpio

One last group shot of all latest additions to my collection of the old 'Dinosaur Museum Series' from the 80's by Kaiyodo :

And onto the shelves -
The smaller ones - cramped onto the small shelf :

And the Big 1/35 Brachiosaurus will have to manage with the other 1/35 Kaiyodos - despite them being Soft Vinyl -

And the new look  of the upper shelves :

And a last minute rearrangement :

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: