You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrontoScorpio

The above Deinonychus featured in the 76th issue of WILDRUSH ( October 1997 , 第76回 (97年10月号)),
serialized in Hobby Japan magazine ( ホビージャパン 誌 ) "New World Animal Magazine" 「新・世界動物誌」

More common was the finished product that was sold exclusively in HobbyLand 1998 as Cold cast finished product ( コールドキャスト完成品 ) -Cold cast finished product

More than 20 years later
At 2018 Summer Wonder Festival ( ワンフェス2018夏 ) it was modeled again for only a limited number of kits and painted finished product :
- finished product 48,000, kit 18,000
And then resold for a short time, and for a litle more, at the Hobbykan Shimanto online shop. ( ホビー館四万十のオンラインショップ ).

A neet story of a builtup artist who purchased and assembled the new 2020 version - painted it - and eventually had it sold.

BrontoScorpio

Enough with the introduction, now for the kit itself :

A 13 parts kit - with lots of access material on the smaller parts - that will take much effort to get rid of -

And those small fingers and claws - that are the most difficult to put in place -

The two biggest parts on the main body - showing their attachments cavities -

And the biggest and actually the most elaborate and interesting part - that would be the display base -
You can see the rough moss-covered parts of the rocks and trees ,so you can easily make them look realistic with a dry brush,
The ferns are also finely sculpted, so you can paint them beautifully just by inking them.
And if you look carefully, you'll see a lizard or some kind of amphibian hiding under the thick tree truck -

BrontoScorpio

Assembled at last - see how The tail is raised high, creating a tall silhouette -

It looks like it's taking a step forward with a threatening look as it prepares grabbing onto something with its front legs -
where The second and third fingers are joined together like a bird's - and the palms faced inward -

Deinonychus should have had feathers, but they were omitted because, as Matsumura been quoted, "dinosaurs look cool because they are reptile-like" ( DinoPress Vol.1, 2000 )

At first I was worried whether the thin legs would be able to support the kit, especially since the entire body is leaning forwards.
On top all that, this kit has a characteristic that if you attach both legs to the body properly, the ankles will not fit into the legs on the base.
I ended up filling in the gaps with a generous amount of glue.
Another concern I had was with the total hight of the statue when considering the tail - So I attached the tail with just a small drop of glue at the upper corner -
hopefully it'll be easily detachable if and when it needs to enter a small space.
Eventually all problems resolved -

BrontoScorpio

Last, at the 5th part in the overview of this Deinonychus - some comparison shots -

1st - at about the same scale, but almost 15 years earlier - the Shinichi Yamashita Deinonychus version -
Both have tails way to high for comfort in my shelves ....

And both made me amazed as how they could possibly stand without falling or their ankle breaks away ...

At arround the same size - with the Kazunari Araki's Velociraptor -

I think my Deinonychus is interested in taking away the nice and juicy Protoceratops for himself ...

And with another Velociraptor - my 1991 DINOLAND - both are Mustumura's works -

Talking of Matsumura - he has 3 other Deinonychus Kaiyodo models :

- World's Largest Dinosaur Expo 2002
- Chocorasaurus DINOTALES 3rd Series
- Capsule Q Museum Dinosaur 8th set
World's Largest Dino

But, there is one statue that reminds me of most the posture of my Deinonychus - That would be the Creative beast David silva's Dilophosaurus -

BrontoScorpio

2nd Kit in my Four Special Event limited Dinosaur Resin kits  -

Kaiyodo 1/35 Scolosaurus ( Euoplocephalus ) Dinosaur Resin Kit by  Matsumura Shinobu from 1988
海洋堂  1/35 スコロサウルス  (  エウオプロケファルス )   恐竜  レジンキット 原型制作  松村しのぶ   

This is indeed one of Matsumura's finest kits - although old - It has completely different fitures than that of other Kaiyodo kits line by that time - 

It looks like it has been done in a more modern method with great care for fine details -

I especially like the under belly with its complex curves and cavities -

And the bony tail club - with endless cracks and two spikes -

postsaurischian

:)  Very nice additions again, especially the Chasmosaurus - it's a holy Kaiyodo grail.

About ten years ago I bought the same Dinoland "Euoplocephalus". Finally I know who's the sculptor. Mine came grey and in one piece though.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 21, 2024, 05:30:03 PMAbout ten years ago I bought the same Dinoland "Euoplocephalus". Finally I know who's the sculptor. Mine came grey and in one piece though.
I always envy you for having the wits to enter the collecting business so early on ... :)
That is why you allow yourself to write : " Thanks to ataraxus from whom I got it ".

Why don't I have anyone whom I can just ask to 'get me one of that' ...
now a days, in the most rare cases when such a sculpt appears, you really need to fight hard in order to finally get it.

This one bellow is the only time I saw it being offered as assembled ( and my kit wasn't much cheaper either ... :( )

and p.s. this one is not part of the DINOLAND line

BrontoScorpio

So it's time to assemble mine -

It really is a most elegant statue - something docile in the manner it presents itself and in general  high quality appearance  -

from the side -
Matsumura's dinosaurs, who specializes in modern animals, are animals themselves, and do not have the monstrous image that was seen up until then.
His natural style of dinosaurs has since become the mainstream of dinosaur modeling in Japan

For some reason I really like this under belly ...

With the Favorite desktop Ankylosaurus Polystone statue -

And with some of my PVC Ankylosaurs Models ( CollectA, Bullyland, AAA, Schleich, Papo, Favorite, Toyway, PNSO, Battat, Sega, Safari ltd. )

BrontoScorpio

Shinobu Matsumura joined the Kaiyodo company in 1987," and his models praised for
"natural movements and expressions that can only be created by someone who knows living things, making the models look as if they are alive and there"
After a while the dinosaurs created have been given the brand of DINOLAND and were serialized also in Vinyl.
But some were never been given a soft Vinyl version - and became 'phantom' Resin master prototype models.
The Scolosaurus was one of them - seeing here in the original leaflet - Along with the 1/35 Parasaurolophus -
Scolosaurus & Parasaurolophus ( スコロサウルス  &  パラサウロロフス ) -

The red painting version got itself into a children paleo book as Euoplocephalus ( エウオプロケファルス ) -

And the complex paint app in the leaflet above, seeing also here after, side by side to the Parasaurolophus ,
 came from Matsumura's original model as depicted on march-1995 in the 9th edition of -
'The Frontline of Dinosaur Studies' (  恐竜学最前線 ) Magazine
Publisher -  Gakken  (  発行所 - 学研 )
The Mystery of Super-Giant Dinosaurs / I'll teach you how to make a dinosaur (  超巨大恐竜の謎 / 恐竜の創り方教えます )

As for the Para. - this is the only assembled and painted version I could find -

Actually there are FOUR such 'Phantom' 1/35 Resin kits by Matsumura from that time :
- Scolosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Triceratops & T-rex

Seeing here in SCALE with each other -

But the Scolosaurus has a larger number of paint application to admire - On the left is from Dan LoRusso's Archeive and the right is an old one in two versions

An even more impressive example from here -

And even more so from this one -

BrontoScorpio

3rd Kit in my Four Special Event limited Dinosaur Resin kits  -

It's the biggest box i have received as of yet - so that's promising ...

The writing at the top says "山東竜" - it means ' Shandong Dragon'

But it really is more commonly known as  ' シャントゥンゴサウルス '   -  translates to ' Shantungosaurus '   :

BrontoScorpio

Spreading out the new Resin kit -

It is indeed huge -

I can't believe I managed to take a hold on it - so I had to have several pics - before it is being assembled forever ...

The tail is incredibly muscular -

But most impressive is the main Torso part -

The other side is no less impressive ( of course ... )

From the belly side - with these old leg attachment surface -

and again, the other side -

This part alone weighs 1.75 kg -

And the huge attachment surface between the 2 main parts -

I should also mention the interesting head and in particularly the beak -
which comprises of several different attributes, t.b.d.

BrontoScorpio

All built and assembled now -

The 1/20 Kaiyodo Shantungosaurus ( シャントゥンゴサウルス / ウ )  [  Shandong Dragon ] ( 山東竜 ) Resin kit (  レジン製キット ) model by Shinobu Matsumura ( 松村しのぶ )
Exhibited at the "Gifu center Future Expo" ( ぎふ中部未来博覧会 ) held in Gifu City in 1988  :

At almost 60 cm along the spine - there is no getting into the box now ...

The assembled model is massive, full of material as an old school kit, it weighs over 2.25 kg -

So - I made the effort to keep all 4 legs touching the ground -

But that ment some filling at the right hind leg joint -

It is also a good angle to appreciate how massive and mascular this tail is -

The front of the animal with its calm expression and intricate beak -

The upper jaw looks like that of a duck, whereas the lower jaw is some kind of a beak like that of a Triceratops -

And there are clear signs of grinding teeth at the back, behind those cheeks -

BrontoScorpio

I know I didn't care so much for the Big Vinyl PNSO Shantungosaurus,
and other than that I don't think this is a species that is often appears as a toy figure.

I do have My SEGA Dinosaur king ( セガ 恐竜王列伝 ) versions -

And my two tiny Starlux & Kaiyodo Dinotales 4 versions at about 1:140 in size :

But at 1/20 scale you can really start to appreciate it -

At over 13 tons and more than 15 m - It dwrfs all other hadrosaurs -

Here with my Kaiyodo 1/20 Parasaurolophus - that is the same scale ratio -

And no wonder, as it is currently the largest known ornithischian -
and therefore Is said to have been the largest non-sauropod (herbivore) Dinosaur -

And long since I have wished to have it compared to some other 1/20 Kaiyodo DINOLAND that I found online -

So there you go -

Next to the Kaiyodo DINOLAND 1/20 Vinyl Anchiceratops -

Overseeing its ornithischian kingdom of all smaller hadrosaurids -
Anatosaurus ( Trachodon ), Edmontosaurus, Maiasaura, Lambeosaurinae ,Parasaurolophus, Corythosaurus, Hypacrosaurus, Iguanodon etc.

PNSO has quite a considerable colorful collection  -

Here with them all,  except for the new PNSO Edmontosaurus and except being in uncolored ... 

for the matter of fact, here after is the only color pic I was able to find for this Resin model -

And maybe this - if that is to be considered as a colored manifestation -
Taken from the Ikebukuro ( 池袋 ) Dinoland Dinosaur Exhibition Report ( 恐竜展リポート ) held on march 1990 -

Crackington

Wow, that is one big hadrosaur!

Didn't realise it was the largest non-sauropod dinosaur either - thanks for showing the comparison pictures.

I first knew of Kaiyodo from their wonderful mini figures back in the day, but they could do as well in much bigger scales!

Torvosaurus

That is a big hadrosaur.

I really like what you've done with not painting all the models you've acquired. If it doesn't have paint then I have to paint it. I think it's an inner flaw I have, just can't leave well enough alone.

Can you post some pics of your entire collection? I'd like to see your models together.

Torvo

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Torvosaurus on July 28, 2024, 10:04:42 PM... If it doesn't have paint then I have to paint it. I think it's an inner flaw I have, just can't leave well enough alone. ...
:) :) :) :) ... LOL
Luckily, my absence from painting them comes from sheer fear I would do a lousy job ...

Quote from: Torvosaurus on July 28, 2024, 10:04:42 PMCan you post some pics of your entire collection? I'd like to see your models together.

I have some pics of complete shelves here and there, when ever circumstances demands it -
But, as far as the whole collection - I only have this overview from over 2 years -
it doesn't include some of my new ( old ... ) ones .
And some of the later additions, not all.

As for the more recent kits - 
I'll make some pics of the whole team and new cabinet once I'm done with all their introductions.

BrontoScorpio

That is the 1988  Gifu center Future Expo ( ぎふ中部未来博覧会 )
for which this kit was created for

But the actual Shantungosaurus reconstruction at the event that was held from July 20th to September 18th 1988,
was a Godzilla like skeleton standing imposingly -

After the Gifu Chubu ( center ) Future Expo ended, the hugely popular Shandong dragon fossil was returned to its owner, the China Geological Museum,
but a "Shandong Dragon Fossil Sculpture" was ordered from Kurotani Bijutsu Co., Ltd. as a monument to the hugely successful Gifu Chubu Future Expo,
and sculptor Kobe Mineo was in charge of creating the prototype and supervising the production of the bronze statue,
which was installed in its current location in July 1990, at the Gifu Memorial Center.

But that led me to believe that I think I saw an old version of this kit standing on just two legs -

Here, at ' The forefront of dinosaur science' ( 恐竜学最前線 ) Magazine, edition no. 7 from August 1994 -
" South America: The Last Paradise of Giant Dinosaurs " ( 南アメリカ  巨大恐竜最後の楽園 ).

From up close, looking at the upper shelf, in one of the Kaiyodo CEOs' home - 
I can see 2 examples of what is, in high probability, a bipedal Shantungosaurus, as described in that Gifu Future Expo  -

But it seems that those were just special private orders.
The Quadrupedal kit made for the public was itself done in small numbers and is extremely rare to come by.
I saw it only in two more occasions in the last 8 years - three in total ( including the one I have).
So, If you also want one for yourself - you better put aside a large pile of cash, and don't forget saving some extra for customs duties ...

As a later addition - I got the 1988 Gifu Chubu Future Expo Keychain ( ぎふ中部未来博覧会  キーホルダー )    -

And the 1988 Gifu Chubu Future Expo 3 set Medals ( ぎふ中部未来博覧会  3枚  メダル )    -

On the other side :

BrontoScorpio

4th and last Kit in this group of my Four Special Event limited Dinosaur Resin kits by Shinobu Matsumura -

pretty sure the box in which it came with does not belong ...

BrontoScorpio

From up close - 7 parts + 1 Base

Spreading it all :
Kaiyodo 1/20 Amargasaurus Resin Garage kit by Shinobu Matsumura
海洋堂 - 1/20 - アマルガサウルス - レジン ガレージキット - 松村しのぶ

As a somewhat more modern kit -
It has a more accurate attachment surfaces and also special bulges and cavities -
Bare in mind those bulges make it harder in cases you want to get rid of excessive substance along the surface.

BrontoScorpio

So I began assembling the kit - and cleaning the different parts before assembling turned harder than I expected -
so I took a small break in the middle - and so did he ...

I was letting him sit on the bench during break, like they do it in kindergarten ...
And he seems very pleased indeed - 
as it shows from this dynamic model that makes use of 
Shinobu Matsumura's original Amargasaurus' unique horse-like facial expression and external features

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: