News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Flight of Pterosaurs

Started by Bokisaurus, July 29, 2012, 07:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Flight of the pterosaurs
I figured it's time to give this neglected group of flying reptiles their turn on the spotlight.
Despite their diversity, the group is largely ignored by toy manufacturers. It's really a shame since there are some truly odd looking ones in the group that would make an interesting toy figure. Manufacturers have mostly concentrated on the large species such as pteranodon ( a standard issue for all companies), Quetzalcoatlus, ornithocheirus, anhanguera, and very recently hatzegopteryx.
Safari did release a trio of beautiful pterosaurs, one given just the generic "pterosaur" label, a Rhamphorhynchus, and Tapajera, all excellent and largish figures.
Oddly, the small Rhamphorhynchus was an early favorite, but it seems to have fallen out of favor until it was revived by Safari.
It is in the Japanese (mostly) line of miniature figure that a pterosaur enthusiast will have the most luck and hope of finding a good diversity of species. Kaiyodo, Colorata, Yujin all have some interesting pterosaurs.
For a while, TEDCO released a set of prehistoric animals (Prehistoric Panorama set) that included a collection of pterosaurs. This is perhaps the most diverse set of pterosaurs one can find with many odd species never represented in toy form before. They were small figures that fit in small boxes. They were well made, and is truly one of the gems in the series (along with the early life).As always is the case with cool sets, they quickly went extinct, victim of new toy safety standard law.
Hopefully, toy companies will start paying attention to pterosaurs and release (they are perfect as toob figures) more in the future. It is a surprise that CollectA has not produced more pterosaurs (only 3 so far) considering how prolific they are in making dinosaurs and marine reptiles.
So here you go, enjoy the flight with the mighty pterosaurs!
* Sorry, due to time, I can't name them all individually. Just ask if there is one you need info about ;)
[

I can't find photos of those little black pterosaurs from Primeval show, so if anyone can add those,too. ;D

DinoToyForum

Great topic Boki!

I'm sure you have the Bandai Quetzalcoatlus too, but I can't see it in your photos. Do I have bad eyesight?

deanm

Great series of shots! Gotta love those pterosaurs. I'll post a few shots of my collection next week also (though my photography is a complete pile of pterosaur do-do compared to your skills).

Do you have the Tyco ones?

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 29, 2012, 07:53:56 PM
Great topic Boki!

I'm sure you have the Bandai Quetzalcoatlus too, but I can't see it in your photos. Do I have bad eyesight?

I thought I saw it, but it appears to have vanished...

Anyway, what are the Geosternbergia in the second photo?

Brontozaurus

Quote from: SBell on July 30, 2012, 04:33:28 AM

As they're dead ringers for the Pteranodons in Sega's Dinosaur King games/anime, I would say that Sega (or an affiliate) produced them, though they were made before the reclassification (hence Pteranodon rather than Geosternbergia).
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

amargasaurus cazaui

That is one amazing rookery there Boki, wow. Make sure and give the janitor a raise, he is doing an amazing job, did not see a single spot even with all of those Pterosaurs flying around. I thought of a few you do not have here, I will add a few pictures this coming week.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: Brontozaurus on July 31, 2012, 10:18:50 AM
Quote from: SBell on July 30, 2012, 04:33:28 AM

As they're dead ringers for the Pteranodons in Sega's Dinosaur King games/anime, I would say that Sega (or an affiliate) produced them, though they were made before the reclassification (hence Pteranodon rather than Geosternbergia).

I want to know what they exactly are, though, so that I can try to find one.

deanm

The Geosternbergia in the second photo are indeed a Sega product.

I also have one that I got from Tom & Diane.

If I recall correctly they were called Sega Diorama. There were at least three in the series. A T. rex, the "Pteranodon", and either a sauropod or ankylosaur (don't remember right now - so could be wrong altogether on the third one).

ZoPteryx

So many wonderful pterosaurs! :))

Jetoar

Wonderful collection  :). OMG you have got a flying fish of Future is Wild :)).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Balaur

Quote from: Jetoar on August 01, 2012, 12:52:44 PM

Wow! That was my reaction. What toy line made that?

tyrantqueen

I like that WWD style (Toyway knock off?) Ornithocheirus :) You have a really impressive collection too.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 24, 2012, 08:12:22 AM
I like that WWD style (Toyway knock off?) Ornithocheirus :) You have a really impressive collection too.

It's not a knock off, because that would be based off of an existing figure (and the real WwD Ornithocheirus doesn't look like that).

It's from TS Toys, which can best be described as being inspired by the WwD show and the subsequent figures.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: SBell on September 24, 2012, 02:59:28 PM

It's not a knock off, because that would be based off of an existing figure (and the real WwD Ornithocheirus doesn't look like that).

It's from TS Toys, which can best be described as being inspired by the WwD show and the subsequent figures.
Take note of the ? and the word "WWD style" I used  ::)

Oh, "and the real WWD Ornitho doesn't look like that"?

Pretty good match to me.

SBell

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 24, 2012, 05:51:47 PM
Quote from: SBell on September 24, 2012, 02:59:28 PM

Take note of the ? and the word "WWD style" I used  ::)

Oh, "and the real WWD Ornitho doesn't look like that"?

Pretty good match to me.

The real Toyway WwD Ornithocheirus figure.  We are talking about figures here. ::)

And I was confirming that it was not so much a knock off, but an inspired-by.

stemturtle

Boki invited us to post a photo of the little black pterosaurs from the "Primeval" show.  I came across them, unclaimed by my darling grandchildren.  This rhamphorhynchoid was based on Anurognathus, seen grooming Diplodocus in "Walking With Dinosaurs," according to Wikipedia. If we change the spelling of Agnurognathus to Anurognathus, then it becomes a real genus.

Look out, Schleich-guy.  Halloween is coming.   >:D

Agnurognathus (Character Options)

EDIT: Photo shows all three pterosaurs

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Bokisaurus

A new pterosaur has landed, and he has lunch,too! ^-^
CollectA's newest addition, a lovely figure in a unique pose :D

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on September 24, 2012, 05:08:56 AM
Quote from: Jetoar on August 01, 2012, 12:52:44 PM

Wow! That was my reaction. What toy line made that?
I have it too along with the rest of the set (though it is packed at the moment), I think it was made by Kaiyodo but I'm not positive.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Bokisaurus

The pterosaur to rule all pterosaur figures, CollectA's 2015 majestic Guidraco! What a lovely figure indeed!
[
For size comparison

And from Schleich, the mini Quetz and it's much larger predecessor.
[]

Mr. Challenger

The Guidraco is amazing! I really need it. I think that I never saw a better ptersosaur figure than this.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.