News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My first ever “diorama” (is more just a base)

Started by JohannesB, April 12, 2018, 12:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohannesB

My first ever attempt at a little diorama/base. A hasty little affair. It all began with the wish to make sure the right hind leg would stay in place after 'hot water-resetting' it. I made it in about three hours, out of super sculpey and a little piece of twig, and painted with acryllic paint. I don't know if this solution will keep the foot in place, but at least it was a nice little learning experience. Of course the little 'raptors' (Tamiya) are out of time, but that was just for fun; they will have to move :-) Any criticisms are welcome.

Mini Minmi

I like the colours, you have a great gradient in the tree and some nice effects in the green. May I ask how you painted it?

You could glue a bit of gravel or some pebbles on the ground to make it look a bit less smooth.

It's a fantastic base, it makes me want to try to make some too!

JohannesB

Quote from: Mini Minmi on April 12, 2018, 12:17:03 PM
I like the colours, you have a great gradient in the tree and some nice effects in the green. May I ask how you painted it?

You could glue a bit of gravel or some pebbles on the ground to make it look a bit less smooth.

It's a fantastic base, it makes me want to try to make some too!

Thanks for the advice! I painted the tree light grey first (white paint with a very little dark brown) and then just 'semi-dry-brushed' the lower parts of the tree with brown paint until I kind of liked the result. Sculpting the tree was a lot easier than I imagined it would be. The base I painted dark brown and after that I dry-brushed it with green and light green (green paint with some white paint). Next up will be some super sculpey rocks :-)

JohannesB

Lone Trike

Looks quite nice so far! Do you plan to add some vegetation, shrubs and stuff like that?
model kits available at: Instagram at LoneTrikeStudio Shapeways

Mini Minmi

I love the rocks and new paint. I find it feels even more natural now. Also you've truly inspired me, I have started a base too thanks to you.

JohannesB

Thanks for the compliments y'all :-) Yes, I would love to add just a little vegetation, but I am not quite sure what to use yet, but I will think of something. Any advice?

Lone Trike

Quote from: Johannes on April 15, 2018, 12:48:32 AM
Yes, I would love to add just a little vegetation, but I am not quite sure what to use yet, but I will think of something. Any advice?
Maybe some ferns on the ground and some moss on the dead tree.
model kits available at: Instagram at LoneTrikeStudio Shapeways

Bokisaurus

JohannesB

Jose S.M.

JohannesB

@Jose_S.M. Thanks :-) But I think it can be better still. I just don't want to make it too cluttered.

JohannesB

Two more little additions. The lizard is only just a 'fantasy lizard', really, because I only used my imagination sculpting it. Hope you all like it, though.

Megalosaurus

Overall it loooks very nice.
May you make a close up at the lizard?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

JohannesB

Close up of the 'lizard'. Because it is so very small, I have only been able to go so far in making it detailed and realistic enough.

Mackeral

Ravonium

Even without a dinosaur, this base still looks pretty good. The lizard and vegetation are especially nice touches. Just a question, where did you get the fern leaves and moss?

JohannesB

@Ravonium I made the moss myself from crumbling a sponge into small pieces and painting them. The leaves I made myself from Super Sculpey clay, like most other things in this base.

Mini Minmi

That little lizard is so darn cute! I love the colors you chose.

Ravonium

Quote from: Johannes on April 18, 2018, 10:10:08 PM
The leaves I made myself from Super Sculpey clay, like most other things in this base.

In that case, I have to commend you for being able to replicate the appearance of fern leaves quite well.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: