News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Godzilla Thread

Started by Takama, August 02, 2012, 12:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoneage

Quote from: Simon on May 19, 2014, 01:53:30 AM
My 17-year old son asked me to go with him to see Godzilla tonight.  IMAX 3D

Should be a fun time.  I feel like I know enough about the movie to (hopefully) avoid some disappointment from not seeing enough Godzilla ...

I'll report back tomorrow.  I remember seeing the original (1954) Godzilla on TV when I was a kid.  The next day everyone at school was talking about it.  Caused quite a sensation.  This was before 90% of you on this board were even born (Stoneage was, of course, being older than me) ....

Yes, I remember the original 1954 classic.  It was probable the greatest sci-fi monster movie since King Kong.  Then came the Japanese Godzilla Movies which had a man in a Barney outfit.  I know there have been some better Godzilla movies since them but the original will probably always be my favorite.  It was so fiftys. 

Gwangi

Quote from: stoneage on May 19, 2014, 05:38:45 PM
Yes, I remember the original 1954 classic.  It was probable the greatest sci-fi monster movie since King Kong.  Then came the Japanese Godzilla Movies which had a man in a Barney outfit.  I know there have been some better Godzilla movies since them but the original will probably always be my favorite.  It was so fiftys.

The original was a Japanese movie as well. It was re-released in the U.S. with additional scenes of Canadian actor Raymond Burr. You're probably aware of this already but the way you worded the above statement lead me to believing that perhaps you weren't. The Godzilla in that movie was also a man in a costume like in the later films, only better made than in most of the sequels.

I would argue that the original film is still the best Godzilla movie to date. The Japanese sequels are generally fun and campy, in the "so bad they're good" category. Paleontologist Ken Carpenter actually credits the original Godzilla film for sparking his love of dinosaurs, or so I've read.

Everything_Dinosaur

It's a great film, seeing it in glorious IMAX is probably the best way to view it.  Think you will really enjoy it.

tyrantqueen

I've just gotten back from the Odeon after seeing the film. I enjoyed it mostly, but it didn't really strike me as particularly memorable. Good, yes, but not amazing. I liked it a LOT better than the Emmerich film, which I despise so much and can't even sit through.

I found the human characters really annoying (apart from maybe Ken Watanabe's character) and found myself not caring at all whether they lived or died. A cool scene was when Godzilla uses his atomic breath for the first time, and his plates light up. I found myself laughing out loud at the scene when the main character was cornered by a Muto and he whipped out a gun ::)

Also, the jump scare scene with the bird flying into the window was silly and dumb. The original Godzilla is still the best for me, but I would not say this new film is a bad effort at all.

Paleogene Pals

I finally got a chance to see the movie tonight. Much better than the 1998 movie, not much of a bar to jump on that one. And, I found it to be enjoyable and nightmarish.  I really connected with the scenes of an exhausted Godzilla, exactly how I feel after a 75-mile bicycle ride!  :P  Overall, four out of five stars.

However, in the sequel, more monsters and less annoying, bland people.

SpittersForEver

I saw it at the olympic cinema in Barnes (the Odean and Imax where full) with my cousin. The special effects where amazing and I loved Halo jump.
I have never actually seen the original so can't compare them.

I didn't really get how, with all that radiation people didn't die but I'm guessing they would.

Paleogene Pals

Yeah, the Halo jump was awesome. What amazed me was quickly they got the lights on after a monster attack. One measly summer storm, and the electricity doesn't come on for a whole day where I lived!

Paleogene Pals

So what kaiju or other kinds of monsters does everybody want to see for the sequel? King Ghidorah would be awesome.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on June 03, 2014, 01:04:50 PM
So what kaiju or other kinds of monsters does everybody want to see for the sequel? King Ghidorah would be awesome.
If they are going to use the monster island concept like Destroy All Monsters I want to see new ones, but in classics...I want to see more gigantic species that survived like Rodan, Anguirus, Varan or Baragon

Patrx

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on June 03, 2014, 01:04:50 PM
How about, I dunno, Godzilla?
I kid, but really, this movie was terrible. When a sequel emerges, I doubt I'll care which creatures appear as long as we get to actually see them. Maybe a redesigned Anguirus?

tyrantqueen

QuoteSo what kaiju or other kinds of monsters does everybody want to see for the sequel? King Ghidorah would be awesome.
I wonder how Mothra might work. She would probably be re-designed like everything else. The original design might seem "campy" compared to the gritty style of this new Godzilla.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 03, 2014, 06:54:42 PM
QuoteSo what kaiju or other kinds of monsters does everybody want to see for the sequel? King Ghidorah would be awesome.
I wonder how Mothra might work. She would probably be re-designed like everything else. The original design might seem "campy" compared to the gritty style of this new Godzilla.

Anyone catch the Mothra Easter egg in the mew film?
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/05/15/the-godzilla-easter-eggs-you-probably-missed-1426074?lt_source=external,manual#!T8nHS

Blade-of-the-Moon

Would love to see Anguirus !

We went today and saw it again, I actually think I liked it better the 2nd time around. There was no pressure to " beat " the previous films or whatever..the human parts were still mostly forgettable but I enjoyed all the monster action much more this time.

brandem

Hmm I really think they should stick to original kaiju for opponents but in the new gritty godzilla series the most logical one I could see them going to is mechagodzilla, if they think they could make a giant dinosaur shaped robot not look goofy, it would allow them to make a plot that was different enough from the original but not have to bring in any silly showa era aspects like aliens.

DinoToyForum

I saw the new film and thought it was quite meh. But I've become a big old cynic when it comes to these sort of things...

Paleogene Pals

Jar Jar Binks should be the next to fight Godzilla. I would love to see Godzilla breathe his atomic breath down Jar Jar's throat.

docronnie

Sad to say,  I fell asleep.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: docronnie on June 18, 2014, 08:37:39 AM
Too boring, or were you too tired? >:D

Paleogene Pals

Interesting, either folks really liked the movie, or they felt it wasn't their cup of tea at all. As a side note, I went to Walmart to look for a Godzilla figure for my outreach booth last Saturday. They did not have a single figure or toy related to the movie! The store guy helping me said he found this disappointing. Not a single thing. Weird!!

docronnie

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 18, 2014, 12:15:37 PM
Quote from: docronnie on June 18, 2014, 08:37:39 AM
Too boring, or were you too tired? >:D

Maybe both, because I got tired of waiting for Godzilla to appear.  The cockroaches, I believe had more screen time.  The title says Godzilla, so I was very anxious to see the main character. 

Maybe I'll ask my friend to lend me his other Godzilla movies.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: