News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Started by Bokisaurus, August 03, 2012, 07:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Leave it to the Japanese to produce some really obscure and odd prehistoric animals that no one else makes. The Dawn of the Dinosaur set of twelve Triassic animals is no exception. This got to be one of the oddest collection of prehistoric animals ever assembled.
Like many Japanese special collection series, this one was produced exclusively for an exhibit shown at the Mori Art Center in Tokyo. That means, the only place to buy these figures is from the museums gift store and nowhere else. The figures come in a capsule case from a machine, there is no way to know which figures you will receive.
There are six fleshed out figures, and five skeletons, two which don't have a flesh out version. These are small Kaiyodo-sized figures. Although they don't have the high-production gloss of the Kaiyodo figures, they are still well made. In addition to these plastic figures, there were also three larger resins figures, complete with flashy box and accompanying booklet.
The species in the collection are
ExaeretodonFrenguelli (fleshed out and skeleton) don't have skeleton

Saurosuchus galilee (capsule version)

And the large resin version

Box Art (front)

and the back showing the two other resin figures 9 which I don't have)

Ischigualastia jenseni (fleshed out and skeleton) don't have skeleton

Scaphonyx sanjuanensis

Promastodonsaurus belimanni

Frenguellisaurusischigualastensis (fleshed out, large resin, and skeleton) don't have skeleton (herrerasaurus)

Fasolasuchustenax (skeleton only) don't have

Lessemsaurussauropoides (skeleton only)

Two of the species on the list have been done before,

the Saurosuchus by Primeval Designs

and Frenguellisaurus (Herrerasaurus) by CollectA. The rest, as far as I know, are the first of their kind in toy figure form.
And since I'm not a big fan of skeleton figures, I passed on the others, only getting the Lessemsaurus. I may need to get the Fasolasuchus at some point.
For those looking for something more odd and unusual, this collection is worth acquiring. Besides the museum gift store, the figures can be found occasionally on ebay (US). But your best bet is to get them from Claw Mark Toys. They sell them at a reasonable price ($6.00 for the small figures, and $40 for the large resin). Last I check, they have the entire set still available, plus they are a great company to work with, always nice and reliable.

Close up of the booklet that comes wit h each figure

and of the box art ( deluxe resin figures)

Saurosuchus resin and plastic version side-by-side

And with Hans for scale

The group

Enjoy ;D

brontodocus

Excellent, boki! :) May I add the resin Exaeretodon frenguelli?

Isn't it the saddest looking prehistoric figure ever? :'( ;D

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Himmapaan

For some reason, I can hear its cry being that of Chewbacca.  :))

Takama

I dont see it sad. But Terorfied >:D

SBell

And to round out the catalogue:

Resin Frenguellisaurus:

Exaeretodon both colours (grey, which is unusual & pink):

Exaeretodon skeleton:

Ischigualastia skeleton:

Frenguellisaurus skeleton:

Fasolasuchus skeleton:

There is also a really cool, well-illustrated guide book for the expo (it came with my Frenguellisaurus resin).  Other than titles and taxonomic names, it is all in Japanese, but the pictures are pretty!

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on August 04, 2012, 12:18:30 AM
I dont see it sad. But Terorfied >:D

For some reason this reminds me of a gargoyle XD

Blackdanter

Quote from: SBell on August 04, 2012, 01:41:21 AM

Resin Frenguellisaurus:

I didn't get the mini figures at the time and decided to get the three larger figures instead. Wasn't there some discussion on the old forum as to whether the larger Frenguelli was different to the book figure?

I can't remember the outcome of that one.

SBell

Quote from: Blackdanter on August 04, 2012, 12:03:37 PM
Quote from: SBell on August 04, 2012, 01:41:21 AM

Resin Frenguellisaurus:

I didn't get the mini figures at the time and decided to get the three larger figures instead. Wasn't there some discussion on the old forum as to whether the larger Frenguelli was different to the book figure?

I can't remember the outcome of that one.

I think it was determined to be more a matter of paint job or lighting--I think somebody had both at some point and compared them.

postsaurischian

Here you go:

The book figure on the right is smaller and not as detailed as the single figure on the left.

And here are some pics from the book:
http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=collections&thread=2972&page=18#83752

Bokisaurus

Beautiful additions, thanks for posting your collection and completing the line. I really wish I got the other resins, they look great ;D

Georassic

I realize this thread is prehistoric in relation to its last update, but...
if you're seeking the mini Frenguellisaurus/Herrerasaurus, clawmarktoys has a small supply. And, it appears the owners have returned to the US, because the mini I ordered shipped for $4 from Texas, not Japan. Here's the link:
https://www.clawmarktoys.com/shop/dinos/dawn-of-the-dinosaurs-exhibit-exclusive-frenguellisaurus-figure/

Libraraptor

This line is still the content of my wet dreams, especially the big Saurosuchus and Exaeretodon.

Georassic

Quote from: Libraraptor on December 26, 2019, 06:43:39 PM
This line is still the content of my wet dreams, especially the big Saurosuchus and Exaeretodon.

Me too. I've managed to get the resin and mini Frenguelli-, and the Ischigualastia, but that line is so elusive.

UK

Just found this. Was going to be a potential diorama entry a few years back but terrible composition and photography. But it shows off the Dawn of the Dinosaur figures nicely.

BrontoScorpio

This is absolutely amazing.
I could not exactly understand if this was a picture you took yourself - or just found it online.
Are the trees made out of hard clay ? I have one of that sort - and I have been searching for some more.

Halichoeres

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on July 01, 2020, 07:32:36 AM

Are the trees made out of hard clay ? I have one of that sort - and I have been searching for some more.

I have this diorama. The conifers are made from polyurethane resin; however, the tree ferns have resin trunks with PVC fronds glued on.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 04, 2020, 02:38:27 PM
Quote from: BrontoScorpio on July 01, 2020, 07:32:36 AM

I have this diorama. The conifers are made from polyurethane resin; however, the tree ferns have resin trunks with PVC fronds glued on.

Favorite Georamas "Cretaceous Forest" :

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7227.msg213822#msg213822

-

Libraraptor

PlesiosaurusNessy

avatar_UK @UK: This is really a wonderful diorama, which shows a dark,sad  and not very nice day with no very good future for this dinos, bad living conditions
and circumstances with nearly no vegetation in a stony environment with dead trees and a waterhole with surely not the best water quality,which
perhaps is only useful to survive a few more days,but for nothing more and the water is looking not very healthy...

All dinos are looking very thirsty, as this waterhole is perhaps there only source of surviving at the moment and no food in sight for an empty
stomach....poor little dinosaurs/extinct mammals....I wish, I could help them, .....
Paleontology: Science for the love to dinosaurs!

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 04, 2020, 06:59:29 PM
Favorite Georamas "Cretaceous Forest" :
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7227.msg213822#msg213822
I have this one in the picture  - and I am looking for more.
Is it from the favorite set ?
Are the trees in the set can be dittached from the diorama ?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: