News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Transmutazors

Started by DinoToyForum, May 12, 2018, 01:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I'm posting these on behalf of S @strawberry_fayre , there will be more to come! Thanks to him for the great pictures.

Edit. The original content of this post, before I added the above images, was:

I could've posted these pics in the identification thread (if I haven't already - I forget), but decided they deserved their own thread instead - I'm hoping somebody will be able to put a name to this line so I can update the thread title. Edit- thanks, Sim, for identifying these as Transmutazors!

I got two of these figures (the dinosaurs) some time in the early 1990s, probably amid the Jurassic Park craze. They were sold as blind bags, but that's all I can remember about the packaging/branding. Each dinosaur represents a different profession. If I remember correctly, my Deinonychus is a basketball player (check out those sneakers) and the Ouranosaurus is a lumberjack. I remember being unimpressed with them as a kid, and so only bought the two. They are monochrome. The discolouration is from when I painted them and changed my mind later. I scoured the internet but was unable to shed any light on these quirky figures.

Then, a few months ago I spotted an unusual pliosaur in an lot on http://ebay.co.uk. You might have watched my unboxing video. The size, material, and markings, strongly suggest it is part of the same line. I suppose they were going for a submarine look. So, now I have three, and my curiosity has been reignited.

Do any other 90s kids remember these or know anything about them? I guess there were many others in the series, does anybody have any?

If it is helpful, the markings on the toys are as follows:
Deinonychus: "B9 CHINA"
Ouranosaurus: "31B CHINA"
pliosaur: "21B CHINA"

Roselaar

I've never seen these before and can't help you put a name to them, but I find them intriguingly weird... Kinda like the illegitimate love baby of White Post figures and figures based on that horrible Dinosaurs puppet TV shows of the early nineties.

DinoToyForum

That never occurred to me before, but you're quite right!

They must've had a very brief and limited distribution, maybe just in the UK.

Sim

They are Transmutazors, I had some of these when I was little.  Each species comes in a mutated version, for example the ones in your photo, but also in a regular version where it's just the animal without any modifications.  Here's a page about them, including the leaflet showing the figures in the line: http://minifigures.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/transmutazors.html

The first figure in your photos is indeed Deinonychus, but the other two are Spinosaurus and Metriorhynchus.  I had both the mutated and the non-mutated Metriorhynchus.  I've never liked the mutated Transmutazors, but I liked the non-mutated versions when I was little and I was very happy with my non-mutated Metriorhynchus as it allowed me to have something I liked that I'd never encountered anywhere else: a toy of a prehistoric fin-tailed crocodyliform.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on May 12, 2018, 03:26:09 PM
They are Transmutazors, I had some of these when I was little.  Each species comes in a mutated version, for example the ones in your photo, but also in a regular version where it's just the animal without any modifications.  Here's a page about them, including the leaflet showing the figures in the line: http://minifigures.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/transmutazors.html

The first figure in your photos is indeed Deinonychus, but the other two are Spinosaurus and Metriorhynchus.  I had both the mutated and the non-mutated Metriorhynchus.  I've never liked the mutated Transmutazors, but I liked the non-mutated versions when I was little and I was very happy with my non-mutated Metriorhynchus as it allowed me to have something I liked that I'd never encountered anywhere else: a toy of a prehistoric fin-tailed crocodyliform.

Thanks, Sim, that's perfect!

DinoToyForum

I've updated the thread title. So, there is a plesiosaur to chase down! Looks like mine are all mutated ones.  :-X

I just read the leaflet, which explains where I got the idea to paint mine. :))

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I found the mutated Metrio, and some others, on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Transmutazors-Dinosaur-6-Mini-Figures-Ideal-1990-s/332627607609?hash=item4d72268039:g:2vwAAOSwnada2pC-

Sim

I'm happy I could help. :)  I hadn't seen some of the ones in that eBay link before, it's nice to see what the actual figures of those look like.  If anyone has a photo of the non-mutated Thecodontosaurus, I think Roselaar is interested in a photo of it for his USL.

I noticed the two images of the leaflet that show all the figures are currently being hosted by Photobucket, so it might only be a matter of time before they disappear from the Internet.  I haven't been using image hosting websites, perhaps it would be good if someone who does could re-upload the two full-sized images of the leaflet on another image hosting website and then post them in this thread?  As far as I'm aware, those two images are currently the only thing that show all the figures in the Transmutazors line.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on May 12, 2018, 05:50:35 PM
I'm happy I could help. :)  I hadn't seen some of the ones in that eBay link before, it's nice to see what the actual figures of those look like.  If anyone has a photo of the non-mutated Thecodontosaurus, I think Roselaar is interested in a photo of it for his USL.

I noticed the two images of the leaflet that show all the figures are currently being hosted by Photobucket, so it might only be a matter of time before they disappear from the Internet.  I haven't been using image hosting websites, perhaps it would be good if someone who does could re-upload the two full-sized images of the leaflet on another image hosting website and then post them in this thread?  As far as I'm aware, those two images are currently the only thing that show all the figures in the Transmutazors line.

Yes, but whoever does it should really ask for permission from the blog.

Sim

It appears there hasn't been new posts on the blog or their twitter since 2014.  On the "Contact" page, it shows a number of authors but none of them have the same name as the one who made the Transmutazors post: http://minifigures.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/contact-toypedias-authors.html

Maybe it would be best to try to contact the first author listed, since they posted that "Contact" section.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Sim on May 12, 2018, 07:18:17 PM
It appears there hasn't been new posts on the blog or their twitter since 2014.  On the "Contact" page, it shows a number of authors but none of them have the same name as the one who made the Transmutazors post: http://minifigures.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/contact-toypedias-authors.html

Maybe it would be best to try to contact the first author listed, since they posted that "Contact" section.

Yes, if you don't mind. I agree it would be a great shame if we lost those useful pictures to the sands of internet time.

Halichoeres

It's really hard to find photos of these figures. I've wanted a good look at the Thescelosaurus, Stegoceras, Staurikosaurus, and Dryosaurus for a long time. The leaflet is shown pretty nicely in DeMarco's Dinosauriana, maybe he'd give leave to use those images in this thread if Sim can't get a response from the blog owners.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 13, 2018, 05:29:40 PM
It's really hard to find photos of these figures. I've wanted a good look at the Thescelosaurus, Stegoceras, Staurikosaurus, and Dryosaurus for a long time.

Currently, one of the first Google Images results for "transmutazors" is a photo which I think shows the Staurikosaurus and its mutated version.

Based on Transmutazors I've had and ones I've seen in photos, it seems the non-mutated versions are the colour of the mutated versions, except darker.  E.g. Metriorhynchus is dark grey, mutated Metriorhynchus is light grey.  Perhaps this might help in identifying some of these.  Another photo on Google Images shows what I think are the mutated versions of Thescelosaurus (in light green) and Dryosaurus (in light blue), so that might give a clue what colour the non-mutated versions of these are.

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 13, 2018, 05:29:40 PM
The leaflet is shown pretty nicely in DeMarco's Dinosauriana, maybe he'd give leave to use those images in this thread if Sim can't get a response from the blog owners.

I'm glad to hear it can be seen somewhere else!  So even if the images on the blog disappear, there's still somewhere that shows the figures in this line.

I guess Dr Admin's last post could be interpreted as suggesting I would contact an owner of the blog, but I thought it was an addition to what he said earlier about whoever would re-upload the images should ask permission from the blog.  That was after I said I haven't been using an image hosting website, and suggested it might be good if someone who does could re-upload the leaflet images.  In any case, after considering it, I think if someone were to contact the blog it would probably be best if it was whoever would re-upload the images, in case the blog owner had any requests/questions regarding how the images would be made viewable.  Since the leaflet is shown in the Dinosauriana, it might not be necessary to have the images re-uploaded for backup though.

Invicta Hunter

I have a lot of these figures for sale if anyone is interested.

Halichoeres

Well that Staurikosaurus is probably the best one that's been made, tragically. Thanks for the tip.

On the images, I'll email DeMarco and see what he says. I think it would be good to have the images here in this thread in any event.

Invicta Hunter, I don't suppose you'd be interested in furnishing some individual photos to accompany the leaflet images?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

CityRaptor

I remember those. Kinda funny how what kind of mutant they become basically depends on the artwork ripped off.

They were definately sold in Germany, too. Got one blindbag from Toys"R"Us since I was curious how the whole thing worked. Got the Dimetrodon set, but I no longer have them.  Looking them up, there were apparently books about them, too.
https://www.vinted.fr/mode-enfants/pour-ecoliers/42706388-livre-transmutazors-commandozor-et-tankozor-1993
https://www.babelio.com/livres/Finetin-Transmutazors--Bucheronozor/970117
https://www.abebooks.com/TRANSMUTAZORS-HIPPY-OZOR-FINETIN-MURIEL-CROIZE/1794514873/bd
The author clearly did not know what a Hippie is...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

Better late than never? With the permission of Mr. DeMarco, here are some screen caps of the brochures of the line, taken from Dinosauriana. Apologies for the poor resolution, it's like this in the original document.

The drawings are a little optimistic relative to the figures themselves, but they give a general idea of the poses at any rate. The Brachiosaurus is an actual school bus, it's almost like actual kids came up with these things.

DinoToyForum

Thanks getting permission and reposting the pictures here, that's great!

CityRaptor

Getting a closer look at those, I still say they are just based on random poses. Well, mostly. As for the single "Mutations", here my thoughts. ( Some more seriousy than others )
Torpedozor - That one is kinda suicidal, isn't it?
Quarterbackozor - Not much to say here, expect the inclusion of Dinosaurs would greatly improve that sport. Well, most sports.
Wingozor - giving up your perfectly working wings to be able to flying a kite seems rather backwards, unless this is supposed to be a case where they had to ampuate the wing fingers.
Concordozor - Airport 79! Kinda funny that the small Pterosaur becomes a big plane while the big one gets to use a kite.
Fuelozor - it's just a Nodosaurus with a tank on its back...
Rockozor -  To quote Roland Tembo:"The one with the big red horn! The pompadour! Elvis!"
Lumberjackozor - Groovy?
Astrozor - either Dinosaucers or Ancient Astronauts comes to mind.
Ski'ozor - just another example of a Dino wearing clothes.
Submarinozor -  West of Eden comes to mind.
Bikozor - "I need your clothes, your boots & your motorcycle."
Dragsterozor - Hot Wheels made something similar. For some reason people pair up Stegos and sportscars...
Truckozor -just a Protoceratops with a truckbed on its back
Fire o'zor - Where does all the water come from?
Baseballozor - Probably ate the last person who pointed out that he is not suited for that sport.
Speedozor - another amputee
Schoolozor - another Dino in clothes.
Skateboardozor like above, but more totally radical.
Greedozor  - got killed by Solozor. Fun aside, how did they get a glutton out of that active pose?
Constructozor - Dino in clothes. Sadly not form giant Dino with five others.
Drillozor - "Who the Hell Creek do you think I am? My drill is the drill that will pierce the heavens!"
Businessozor - Sharply dressed Dino.
Windozor - a quad amputee?
Rastamanozor - Another dressed up Dino.
Hippy o'zor - Hmm, looking at it, seems to to be a female, complete with non-mammalian mammaries. Which makes that book portraying it as some male, bare-chested gladiator even funnier.
Burgerozor - They probably looked at the pose and thought: "Forget it." Little does he know that that the secret ingredient in his Brontoburgers is Diplodocus! Brontoburgers is people!
Punkozor - Yep, another Dino in clothes.
Automobilozor - The Motherly Love Bug!
Chefozor - Using your tail like that seems like a bad idea...
Tankozor - so how does firing missiles work?
Bulldozor - isn't there a cartoon like that?
Badozor - Bad to the Bone! So bad that he totally ignores the original pose!
Rapozor - Actually surprised that something like this is not done more often, you know, rapping raptors.
Steakozor - I guess that is the chef at the restaurant from "The Dinosaur Heresies"
Policemanozor - Not starring in a movie with Whoopie Goldberg!
4x4 ozor - it's a Dino driving a car.
Dribblozor - Toronto Raptors anyone?
Comamndozor - Insert either Rambo or Schwarzenegger as Durch quote here.
Busozor - They kinda used that in Dinotopia.
Footozor - similar bad choice as Baseballozor, but less likely to eat you.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

strawberry_fayre

Hello, everyone.

I'm new to the forum and got in touch with the guys at dinotoyblog after seeing this thread. I have a pretty large collection of Transmutazors, including the wrappers, leaflets, etc.

If anyone would like any specific photos of any of the dinosaurs, I'd be happy to post them (if I have them).

Kind regards
David

Halichoeres

Welcome to the forum, S @strawberry_fayre ! I would love to see photos of the Dryosaurus and Thescelosaurus. Here's the only one in my collection, the Stegoceras:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: