News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shahinos

Quote from: shahinos on January 09, 2024, 09:54:46 AMI really dislike the Estemmenosuchus as well. I think the face looks horrible with those teeth, that's my main gripe.

And for fairness, I dislike basically all the PNSO theropods from 2023 as well. I can't see the difference between them, they all blend into one huge carnivore.

Carnoking

While we're on the subject of the Safari Estemmenosuchus, here's another controversial opinion:
I consider it superior to this year's Utahraptor!

marisaura

Quote from: Carnoking on January 09, 2024, 06:41:38 PMWhile we're on the subject of the Safari Estemmenosuchus, here's another controversial opinion:
I consider it superior to this year's Utahraptor!

i have both, and i have to agree - the estemmenosuchus has a pleasant, layered paint scheme that stands out among safari figures, and a much more subtly dynamic sculpt than the utahraptor's scream into oblivion. although, to be clear, i quite like both of them!

GojiraGuy1954

I do not like most of the BoTM Raptors Series
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Halichoeres

I get that. I would certainly prefer them without all the joints, but the absence of joints would diminish the appeal to other audiences.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

I only bought three or four. They look so similar. I've only taken one out of the box and displayed it.

DrunkAnteosaurus

This is an interesting thread! Here are some of my takes  :o

Articulation is something I adore in figures and something I always look for, just being able to pose them in all these ways make those figures stand out

Despite that, I don't like a lot of BOTM's current ways for managing their bigger theropods and ceratopsians articulation. They feel too stiff and rigid, hard to pose, and worst of all for me is their neck joints. More specifically the large tyrannosaur line. It just gives me the ick at how their movement is. Every pose looks like you broke something aha

Love the JP line, just not the JW(with the exception of Indom). Too many t.rexs and all these "ambiguous" species they like to make just look default. Especially their colour schemes, 8/10 you're going to get the bare minimum in colour and pattern. While understanding it is a big toy company, it doesn't hurt to at least give more than two colours.

Schliech genuinely scares me.

And Papo is like PNSO and Schliech had an unholy infant. Gorgeous models(sometimes) but the skinrapping, lipless, and clunkyness of some of them are a big turn off.
New to paleoart and sculpting, but really trying to learn more! If you have any requests lmk!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I agree on the BOTM Tyrannosaurs. They just don't pose well at all aside from the default standing position.

DrunkAnteosaurus

Ya, it's very sad since they're beautiful sculpts and great representations of the species. Also ironic since I now got bith gorgo and tarbo on the way aha

(they were just too gorgeous not to)
New to paleoart and sculpting, but really trying to learn more! If you have any requests lmk!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DrunkAnteosaurus on January 24, 2024, 05:24:54 PMYa, it's very sad since they're beautiful sculpts and great representations of the species. Also ironic since I now got bith gorgo and tarbo on the way aha

(they were just too gorgeous not to)

I'm thinking one day I might get them posed a certain way and puttied up.

Fembrogon

As much as I enjoy BotM, I do admit there are times they don't have the range I'd like them to. I suppose that's mostly a testament to how challenging it is to articulate a non-human body shape.

I've been hearing the third wave of tyrannosaurs is the best, though, avatar_DrunkAnteosaurus @DrunkAnteosaurus, so who knows, maybe you'll be surprised!

postsaurischian

I totally lost interest in BOTM. I don't like the articulation. The figures are too expensive - especially because the production quality is low.
 I don't like David Silva's pop art style. Maybe he had been working at McFarlane Toys for too long. I have tried a few figures, but the disappointments prevail.
 Still I gave them another chance by ordering last year's Guanlong which turned out to be even more disappointing than the raptors series had been.
 Worst paint application of everything I bought in 2023, bad articulation and connecting the tail was really painful.

edit: I forgot to mention that also any armed animals are just pure ugliness to me.

thomasw100

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 25, 2024, 09:07:32 AMI totally lost interest in BOTM. I don't like the articulation. The figures are too expensive - especially because the production quality is low.
 I don't like David Silva's pop art style. Maybe he had been working at McFarlane Toys for too long. I have tried a few figures, but the disappointments prevail.
 Still I gave them another chance by ordering last year's Guanlong which turned out to be even more disappointing than the raptors series had been.
 Worst paint application of everything I bought in 2023, bad articulation and connecting the tail was really painful. No more BOTM figures for me in the future.

I never got any of the BOTM figures but when I saw them for the first time I would view them as action figures not dinosaur models or replicas. And this is just based on the style and colors without considering the articulation. And with both PNSO and Haolonggood producing continuously new species as high quality models there is plenty to choose from. Even more than the average collector can afford.

Ikessauro

Although I love BOTM style, paint and detail, I do have to agree, the motion/articulation range is very much limited, for a line that is focused mainly in making, well, articulated, dino figures. But I do have to regognize that David has done an absolutely amazing job, considering how independant he is in making these complicated models without a billion dollar company backing it.

DrunkAnteosaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 25, 2024, 02:18:24 AMI'm thinking one day I might get them posed a certain way and puttied up.

That's actually not a bad idea, wonder if someone could hide the articulated points while making it look natural

postsaurischian

Quote from: DrunkAnteosaurus on January 25, 2024, 02:59:24 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 25, 2024, 02:18:24 AMI'm thinking one day I might get them posed a certain way and puttied up.

That's actually not a bad idea, wonder if someone could hide the articulated points while making it look natural

I think a lot of people with sculpting talent can do this.
 I know for sure that Martin Garratt for example could easily do it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think so.  Shouldn't be any worse than say a resin kit and filling in the connection points. 

I understand and can see what David was attempting, it's hard to sacrifice a beautiful sculpt for poseability. More joints and more pieces would improve that but also raise the cost.  Anyone with the 1:18 Rex can tell you that's a monster of a figure, it's huge and heavy, which is another drawback to posing it , I'm not sure why the weight couldn't be sacrificed somewhat in casting it. 

Fembrogon

I suppose another big question to ask would be: now that David Silva has set a standard (three times over), how will other artists/companies improve on it?
Mattel's Amber and Hammond Collection models are basically IP budget equivalents, with similar articulation range but more stylization and less weight.
Nanmu is getting in on it with their raptor pair, for comparable size/price to the Deluxe raptors; the question will be if the articulation is at all improved.
I can't speak for the likes of Edel or Artic Figures.

Bread

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 25, 2024, 03:03:24 PM

I think a lot of people with sculpting talent can do this.
 I know for sure that Martin Garratt for example could easily do it.
I'm tempted now to bring this to dinosaur_models_artworks attention.

I'd simply have the unpainted 1/35 Tyrannosaurus rex put into a position I like. Maybe a simply calm stride, use PNSO's or an unofficial brand of plastic stands. Oh boy...

I will say, I love BOTM's line in general, and it's certainly awesome to see someone take a line this far especially being that they pretty much started on their own, given the original raptor series, to then have a team alongside him. It's truly inspiring and cool to see happen. Even if there are issues present.

DrunkAnteosaurus

Wonder if he would do some repaints on some of the less appealing BOTM models?(though beauty for the figure is very subjective to each person's preferences)

Though agreeing with what avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon stated, I'm glad David set this line and is stepping up the attention to dinosaur figurines in general. Like everyone else, he is still improving and tweaking the sculpts for better performance.

It would be interesting if he put out some neck alts for the large tyrannosaurs late on down the line :o

Also does anyone else find the Cyberzoic Pachy unappealing? The head's too spiky and thinned out as well as the neck imo

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: