You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 28, 2018, 09:02:42 PM
I dislike that they have discontinued most of their interesting Toobs...

I personally find it equally annoying that they seem to be giving all of their toobs (extant and extinct) shoddy repaints. I find the Cave Dwellers Toob and Feathered Dinos Toob repaints especially obnoxious.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ravonium on May 28, 2018, 09:12:28 PM

I personally find it equally annoying that they seem to be giving all of their toobs (extant and extinct) shoddy repaints. I find the Cave Dwellers Toob and Feathered Dinos Toob repaints especially obnoxious.

Yeah, I don't love those either. I'm glad I have the original feathered dinos set. I guess they're finding it too expensive to produce good Toobs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

MLMjp

I got another, and also quite strange one.

Permanent Dino Damages on Jurassic Park figures do not bother me as much as other people for some reason. However, if I look for and old JP figure who has removable dino damage, it does bother me if the toy does not have the piece to cover it. For example, lets say I look for a TLW Stegosaurus, I will never buy one that does not have the dino damage piece because then the dino damage would bother me.

It´s like, if it has a cover, I can´t stand it, but if is permanent, I can tolerate it. I don't know why. :o

But of course, it is better if the figures don't have permanent dino damage. :)

Dilopho

Quote from: MLMjp on June 05, 2018, 09:00:13 PM
It´s like, if it has a cover, I can´t stand it, but if is permanent, I can tolerate it. I don't know why. :o

Probably because the cover ones are actual wounds with deepness, whereas the permanent ones , even though they have bones and stuff, seem like slashes?

Like, a big chunk missing out of an animal feels wrong, but a big slash is less alarming. At least to me.

Gwangi

Quote from: MLMjp on June 05, 2018, 09:00:13 PM
I got another, and also quite strange one.

Permanent Dino Damages on Jurassic Park figures does not bother me as much as other people for some reason. However, if I look for and old JP figure who has removable dino damage, it does bother me if the toy does not have the piece to cover it. For example, lets say I look for a TLW Stegosaurus, I will never buy one that does not have the dino damage piece because then the dinodamage would bother me.

But of course, it is better if the figures don't have permanent dino damage. :)

That makes complete sense and I totally agree. I mostly display my dinosaurs and I don't want to display them with missing parts or gaping wounds unless it is a permanent part of the model.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Ravonium on May 28, 2018, 09:12:28 PM

I noticed that too, when we stocked the feathered dinosaurs toob in our Dinosaurs of China exhibition shop. I was quite surprised and I had to double check the packaging to reassure myself they were genuine Safari Ltd figures.

CityRaptor

I got the one of those repainted Feathered Dinos Toobs for christmas last year. I also own a Sinornithosaurus from the earlier version. Very different. Aside from paint, the new toob figures also seem to  be made of softer material, but with more molding seams.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ceratopsian

I was extremely disappointed with the Feathered Dinos toob last year.  Only one or two of the toys made it into my cabinets, the rest are sitting on the ledge in my study.  I've been debating whether to send them to Oxfam!

Joe the Spinosaurus

I think a base ruins a figure.

IrritatorRaji

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on June 09, 2018, 11:03:31 PM
Quote from: Joe the Spinosaurus on June 09, 2018, 08:09:19 PM
I think a base ruins a figure.

I'm okay with a base as long as it can be removed and the figure stands fine on its own. I think the only time I'd prefer a base is if it was a diorama like a Sideshow piece or something.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Ravonium

Quote from: Ceratosaurus on June 09, 2018, 11:42:12 PM
I'm okay with a base as long as it can be removed and the figure stands fine on its own. I think the only time I'd prefer a base is if it was a diorama like a Sideshow piece or something.

I feel inclined to add that I don't think hating bases is that unpopular of an opinion here.

Loon

Mattel is a better handler of the JP/JW liscence than Kenner, sans the raptors so far.

Syndicate Bias

CityRaptor

Quote from: Loon on June 10, 2018, 06:18:03 PM
Mattel is a better handler of the JP/JW liscence than Kenner, sans the raptors so far.

I don't think that is an unpopular opinion. People might be divided about it, but it is rather evenly balanced. There are of course some people who prefer Hasbro...now those are unpopular.

Okay, here is one of mine: Real Feel Skin is overrated. I rather have more durability.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

tyrantqueen

I thought of some more:

-I don't actually like the Dinobots all that much, especially not Grimlock. I find their caveman talk really irritating.
-I don't like large scale, because they're so difficult to store and play/pose.

Shonisaurus

Honestly and I think it's a pretty big flaw I do not collect dinosaur figures from Play Movil or Lego, nor do I (and I know it's reprehensible) I have figures from Jurassic Park except the non-articulated gallimimus.

The dinosaurs, as I have already mentioned, are very articulated or minimally articulated, I do not find it funny except for the three versions of Kaiyodo's tyrannosaurus (for now). In the dinosaurs of Play Movil and Lego maybe I'm not interested because of my age at forty-two maybe I would like or maybe with a little more years and the dinosaurs of Jurassic World like Mattel's sincerely for reasons of space, material with which they are made and by their multiple articulations and sounds among other things are not of my interest.

I know it is a very unpopular opinion among the members of the forum, and I understand it but it would be a fake if I said otherwise.

pylraster

Loon

The animatronic spinosaurus from  JP 3 looks like chewed-up Beggin' Strips.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: pylraster on June 11, 2018, 06:33:15 AM
Battat is overrated.

I can understand this- Battat is a mixed bag for me. I prefer the Wenzel sculpted pieces. I think LoRusso worked best in large scales (his 1:10 Pachyrhinosaurus model kit for instance). His smaller work (such as the Ceratosaurus and Dilophosaurus he did for the Battat line) had a rougher style of sculpting which I'm not so keen on.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: