News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New DinoToyBlog entries

Started by DinoToyForum, March 12, 2012, 08:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

B @Bokisaurus My congratulations on your new review. The PNSO sinoceratops is one of my favorite figures this year along with the Itoy paraceratherium. Superb review, as always extensive and accurate.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Nice review of the indosuchus I congratulate you on it, avatar_suspsy @suspsy

Halichoeres

Nice reviews, both of you, but I have to say that the Sinoceratops is so overboard with the cute factor that it kind of creeps me out.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

The eyes having whites bothers me greatly, but aside from that the PNSO babies are great.

indohyus

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 15, 2020, 06:21:37 PM
Agreed, I don't like painted on, or in this case printed on, eye reflections either but I guess here it's to amplify the cuteness factor.
Eyes that reflect on their own are still better however.

Why would whites on eyes bother you avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek ? Majority of animals have them ;D
As for the reflections on the eyes ? @Stolpergeist - those reflections are NOT painted or printed, they are natural reflection captured by the material and would move around depending on where the light source is coming from. Shade the yes and you don't see any reflections at all. ;)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 17, 2020, 03:13:34 AM
Agreed, I don't like painted on, or in this case printed on, eye reflections either but I guess here it's to amplify the cuteness factor.

Why would whites on eyes bother you avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek ? Majority of animals have them ;D
As for the reflections on the eyes ? @Stolpergeist - those reflections are NOT painted or printed, they are natural reflection captured by the material and would move around depending on where the light source is coming from. Shade the yes and you don't see any reflections at all. ;)
Eye whites are a trait exclusive to mammals. They are an adaptation to allow our eyes to move in their sockets, but other animals can't do that. Hence we see adaptations like owls necks, or chameleons mobile "eye covers" (not sure if they're the literal eye lids or not).

Many dinosaurs and pterosaurs from across groups are preserved with scleral rings like birds and reptiles have. So it's safe to say dinosaurs didn't have eye whites either even if they could have appeared convergently.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 17, 2020, 03:27:27 AM

Eye whites are a trait exclusive to mammals. They are an adaptation to allow our eyes to move in their sockets, but other animals can't do that. Hence we see adaptations like owls necks, or chameleons mobile "eye covers" (not sure if they're the literal eye lids or not).

Many dinosaurs and pterosaurs from across groups are preserved with scleral rings like birds and reptiles have. So it's safe to say dinosaurs didn't have eye whites either even if they could have appeared convergently.

I didn't say they had it, I just said majority of animals. But thanks for the lecture ;)

Stegotyranno420

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek  so you are saying a dinosaur most likely couldnt move its eye based on modern archosaurs.
also, can you show me what a realistic dinosaur eye based on modern science would had looked like. This is very  interesting

Loon

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 17, 2020, 03:44:06 AM

Yeah, arthropods are famous for their white eyes ::)

stargatedalek

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 17, 2020, 03:44:06 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on October 17, 2020, 03:27:27 AM

I didn't say they had it, I just said majority of animals. But thanks for the lecture ;)
You said majority of animals, which mammals are not, so I thought it was worth going into.

You also asked why it would bother me, so I was explaining why. It bothers me because it's inaccurate and makes them look uncannily mammalian.

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 17, 2020, 04:02:55 AM
avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek  so you are saying a dinosaur most likely couldnt move its eye based on modern archosaurs.
also, can you show me what a realistic dinosaur eye based on modern science would had looked like. This is very  interesting
Most dinosaur reconstructions don't give them eye whites and so are already following this. They would have looked like the eyes of birds.

Crackington

I agree with avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno that this is very interesting avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek , I've learned something today, so thanks for that.👏

It makes me wonder why and when the white, movable eyeball feature would have evolved?! Do all extant mammals have them including, monotremes and insectivores? Does it go back to the Triassic with the synapsid ancestors, or even earlier? I guess it's impossible to tell unless we find a fossilised eyeball, which is probably impossible!

This is what I love about the Forum,  things I've never thought about regularly come up and provide new avenues to look into. Thanks again.

Loon

::)
Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 17, 2020, 08:05:28 PM
B @Bokisaurus Oh, that is good to hear!
I misinterpreted what avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek said though I agree with her there too, it does make them look a bit cartoony and almost anthropomorphic in an uncanny valley way.
I think cuteness can be achieved by simply making the pupils appear larger while not having the sclera be visible.
Like Puss in Boots in the Shrek movies.

Honestly, these PNSO babies remind me of the new Dumbo movie more than anything.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Loon on October 17, 2020, 08:31:37 PM
::)
Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 17, 2020, 08:05:28 PM
B @Bokisaurus Oh, that is good to hear!
I misinterpreted what avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek said though I agree with her there too, it does make them look a bit cartoony and almost anthropomorphic in an uncanny valley way.
I think cuteness can be achieved by simply making the pupils appear larger while not having the sclera be visible.
Like Puss in Boots in the Shrek movies.

Honestly, these PNSO babies remind me of the new Dumbo movie more than anything.

I honestly like both PNSO dinosaur baby figures although I honestly see them as very childish figures, both figures look like both the baby tyrannosaurus and the baby of sinoceratops, plush figures made in this case with PVC material. That's not to say that the PNSO dinosaur baby figures are very well made and of high quality, although I have observed the inevitable seams characteristic of a PVC figure in the PNSO sinoceratops with stitching on their arms especially.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Libraraptor

Quote from: suspsy on October 18, 2020, 12:56:04 PM
UKRD Pteranodon:
http://dinotoyblog.com/2020/10/18/pteranodon-ukrd/

I have one, and it is really ugly. But somehow I like it. I am afraid of giving it away, it won't probably find a new owner for it is so ugly ^-^

Funk

Yeah, I was wondering about their Dimetrodon too, I have it somewhere, so I'll see if I can review it...

Funk

Hehe, we can exchange photos when we find them! I think most of the UKRD toys need reviews, actually, I have a bunch lying around that are not on the blog yet.

Funk

There were also glow in the dark skeleton versions (and some that didn't glow) of the figures of the same size and poses, I can't find photos of those skeletons online, though, anyone else know about them? I'll try to review them along with their figures if I get the time...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: