News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Middle Earth Discussion Thread

Started by Yutyrannus, August 07, 2012, 06:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

For me, the Hobbit movies have been quite disappointing overall. I never could get into the Lord of the Rings novels, but I really enjoyed The Hobbit because it was so much more self-contained, more charming, smaller. The Hobbit is a fun little fairy-tale story, and that makes it much more appealing to me than the the sprawling epic that is The Lord of the Rings. With the film series, it's clear the folks in charge are trying to make lightning strike twice by making the story as big and grandiose a possible, and I think that's a mistake. I feel like, while Bilbo is ostensibly the lead, his character arc is being stunted and ignored, and that's terribly boring.

I will say that Smaug looks and sounds very cool.

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Yutyrannus on November 21, 2014, 06:42:33 AM
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/11/20/94814-is-the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-finished/

Time to say goodbye to Middle-Earth on film :'(.

They might be done with LOTR and The Hobbit..but I can't see them laying a golden goose to rest as long as they squeeze an egg out of it somewhere.

Yutyrannus

I still hope that they will make a film of The Children of Hurin, however because Christopher Tolkien won't allow any more films of J.R.R. Tolkien's books I don't see that happening for a long time.

Arul

I love a flashback film like the hobbit, monster university, etc. it make me really want to wacth tlotr again even i already wacth it long time ago to continue the whole story and fill my satisfy...the movie creator is very smart, it make the old film (but related to the new film) not really2 dead

Yutyrannus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Glad Bard is back to being a " bowman" and not a "ballistaman" ... lol

Balaur

Is anybody else going to watch the first two Hobbit films before going to see the third? My friend decided that she and I would watch the first two and then the third. Oh, we should watch Lord of the Rings after that. Oh, a day lasts only 24 hours. If we did watch them all it would take, 18 hours or so out of the day? Still, I would love to do that!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think we will at least watch the 2nd one if not both before we go. I have the extended editions so it's a bit..more.. lol

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Balaur on December 12, 2014, 02:22:03 AM
Is anybody else going to watch the first two Hobbit films before going to see the third? My friend decided that she and I would watch the first two and then the third. Oh, we should watch Lord of the Rings after that. Oh, a day lasts only 24 hours. If we did watch them all it would take, 18 hours or so out of the day? Still, I would love to do that!
Yep, I got tickets for The Hobbit marathon on the 15th. It's going to be so awesome, I can't wait ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D! And for watching all six movies back-to-back, I'm going to do that when the extended edition for The Battle of the Five Armies comes out next November.

Here's the final trailer for The Hobbit trilogy, probably my favorite so far (and I'm going to watch it over and over again until I see the movie :)) ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W7RutRghXY

Also, check out this video of Stephen Colbert interviewing Smaug :)):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMLd6NIgwtU

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 12, 2014, 02:54:11 AM
I think we will at least watch the 2nd one if not both before we go. I have the extended editions so it's a bit..more.. lol
The extended editions are the best, especially all of the extra Beorn scenes and the addition of Thrain in The Desolation of Smaug. Plus  some of the stuff in The Appendices is hilarious (did you see the one with Mark Hadlow saying how little he likes wearing the beard in the extended edition of An Unexpected Journey ;D?).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Agreed. I keep waiting on the extended cuts..it's HARD sometimes..lol I can't believe they added a whole new character ( Thrain) to the extended..that's nuts..lol 

Speaking of more footage, I wanted an extended or director's cut of Godzilla but it doesn't look like we're getting one.

stargatedalek

I loved that episode of Colbert report :P

Arul

:D remake TLOTR !!  ;D lol

Manatee

croatasaurus

triceratops83

Quote from: Manatee on December 25, 2014, 08:08:53 PM
Quote from: ARUL on December 25, 2014, 12:05:48 PM
Now, is that really necessary?

Ugh, I can see it happening though. Hell, they've practically done it already by stretching the Hobbit into a LOTR style trilogy. Time for something new... Stephen King's Dark Tower series.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Paleogene Pals

I clicked on the Colbert episode but Viacom already killed it!

Arul

Oops im sorry hahaha im just too excited  :D like robin hood movie, it had been remake for many times but yeah never bored for me  :D

alexeratops

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 26, 2014, 01:37:34 AM
Quote from: Manatee on December 25, 2014, 08:08:53 PM
Quote from: ARUL on December 25, 2014, 12:05:48 PM
Now, is that really necessary?

Ugh, I can see it happening though. Hell, they've practically done it already by stretching the Hobbit into a LOTR style trilogy. Time for something new... Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Ooo, Ooo, or maybe Wings of Fire, or Artemis Fowl, or The Enormous Egg, or.... well, I could go on forever. Any good book/series deserves a good movie. :D
like a bantha!

triceratops83

I've got it. Law and Order: Middle Earth.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: