You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Diorama real branches as tree trunks ... to treat with some clearcoat or?

Started by Die_Maulquappe, July 10, 2018, 09:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Die_Maulquappe

Hi,
I am building a diorama plate for some of my big 1/35 figures.
And I want to a some bigger tree (looking) like a douglas fir or some giant Sequoia.

Instead of sculpting the entire tree with sculpey or something...

I found some good dryed out branches as a tree trunk and asked myself if I perhaps can treat it with some solvent?
Somthing like a clearcoat or somthing that connects with the wood after being absorbed by the wood?

Is there some liquid I can insert the wood?

I hope I could explain it?!  Thx

Otherwise i will try something like this (looks good too me)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hztif1KoJ-g
Videos of my statues, figures and dioramas here:
TITANS_of_the_EARTH
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2QYASMKvj9McImqRk1MhCA

Newt

It's not really necessary to clearcoat, as long as the wood stays dry it will not rot. To make sure it really is dry, it's a good idea to keep the wood inside in a well-ventilated space for a few weeks before using. If you want to coat it for extra protection, any furniture finish will work. Water-based polyurethane or polycrylic are probably the easiest to use. Shellac would also work well. If you want to color the wood, do this before applying the clearcoat.

Infusing the wood with acrylic or resin would offer the ultimate in durability, but requires some serious equipment.

Good luck!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.