News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 22, 2019, 03:04:45 PM
Why does the Yeti look like a werewolf?  8)

I think it's a beautifully sculpted piece that would have worked great as a wendigo, but it doesn't feel like a Yeti to me. I've always viewed the Yeti as more enigmatic than menacing, just like Bigfoot.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on July 22, 2019, 03:27:25 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on July 22, 2019, 03:04:45 PM
Why does the Yeti look like a werewolf?  8)

I think it's a beautifully sculpted piece that would have worked great as a wendigo, but it doesn't feel like a Yeti to me. I've always viewed the Yeti as more enigmatic than menacing, just like Bigfoot.

I'm not someone who'd say this often, but I think they'd've been better off repainting their Bigfoot figure  :P

PhilSauria

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

SidB

Yeah, the free international shipping is irresistible!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: SidB on August 02, 2019, 01:12:00 PM
Yeah, the free international shipping is irresistible!

100% positive feedback, too.  ;D

Ravonium

Quote from: PhilSauria on August 01, 2019, 11:30:58 PM
Is this seller on drugs?!!!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/392364101336

I know Drake comparison memes are old, but this one describes this situation well:

Additionally, looking at the related items, is anyone else here being shown what I'm being shown?  :-[ :-X

CityRaptor

If they are statues of scantly clad anime girls, then yes.

Ah, eBay sellers. There are always some total nutcases.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ITdactyl

Quote from: Ravonium on August 02, 2019, 03:55:45 PM
Quote from: PhilSauria on August 01, 2019, 11:30:58 PM
Is this seller on drugs?!!

Additionally, looking at the related items, is anyone else here being shown what I'm being shown?  :-[ :-X

this type of pricing isn't weird considering this seller caters to a market where Safari doesn't have an official presence. I'm not saying it's not obscenely over priced, but it's nothing new. I know some of you are familiar with sellers in my region who employ a similar pricing strategy.

to answer avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium, and as warning to other members, this seller sells a lot of echi(erotic) and hentai items. If you're not using inprivate browsing, you'll be tagged by the ad cookies for related wares (meaning you might get weird recommendations next time you shop or browse).

Ravonium

Quote from: ITdactyl on August 02, 2019, 05:02:17 PM
to answer avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium, and as warning to other members, this seller sells a lot of echi(erotic) and hentai items. If you're not using inprivate browsing, you'll be tagged by the ad cookies for related wares (meaning you might get weird recommendations next time you shop or browse).

Thanks for the reminder that I should probably clear my browsing data soon  :)

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Ravonium on August 02, 2019, 05:30:47 PM
Quote from: ITdactyl on August 02, 2019, 05:02:17 PM

Thanks for the reminder that I should probably clear my browsing data soon  :)

The sale of erotic products by eBay should be prohibited. Without a doubt, nothing recommended by what I have seen this seller and I say it with all the respect in the world.

avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium It is best that you delete your browsing data. Is a friend's advice.

MLMjp

I'm on mobile right now, a small add banner has appeared at the bottom of the screen and its that +1000$ Stegosaurus.

Also avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, while there should be more control over erotic related stuff prohibiting selling them is too much.
It's a free market after all.

Also, those figures and statues are usually bootlegs sold by chinese sellers.

Dinoguy2

I just read the blog entry on the Safari Pteranodon and noticed a reference to the controversy over bill shape and size. I don't want to necessarily reopen old wounds since I see the convo here got a little heated. I understand Doug's position that the holotype of Pteranodon (by definition the only specimen objectively referable to a species, as with all holotypes) has a short, straight bill. As Mark Witton pointed out, that specimen is a female. No male longiceps specimens with complete bills are known. So a straight bill similar to the female is a dustinct possibility and is also more conservative, being the traditional assumption. There's no way anybody could fault Doug for going with that choice.

However as discussed here http://dinogoss.blogspot.com/2017/04/youre-doing-it-wrong-pteranodon-bills.html?m=1 female sternbergi ALSO have straight bills and look very similar to the longiceps holotype. Obviously male sternbergi have much longer and curved bills. So there is no real reason to believe that bill dimorphism existed in sternbergi but not in longiceps, which unless your name is Kellner, you probably think is a direct anagenetic descendent. Also note in the comments to that post, someone from the LACM confirms they have the largest known P. longiceps skull and while the bill is incomplete, it seems to be identical to the same portion of the bill in "Dawndraco".

I tend to look at all paleoart as an illustration of a hypothesis. I think the Safari Pteranodon is a beautifully executed illustration of Kellner's vision of Pteranodon. I (and Witton, and Bennett, and Unwin...) just also think there's very good reason to suspect Kellner is wrong (not just about this...). Hopefully someone will create a long, curve billed Pteranodon male to illustrate the other hypothesis. It would be interesting to be able to display competing but equally valid modern hypotheses side by side.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Doug Watson

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 23, 2019, 07:58:40 PM
As Mark Witton pointed out, that specimen is a female.

One correction unless Mark has said otherwise somewhere other than his blog his exact quote is "This skull is from a small (presumed female) morph."

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 24, 2019, 08:30:11 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 23, 2019, 07:58:40 PM
As Mark Witton pointed out, that specimen is a female.

One correction unless Mark has said otherwise somewhere other than his blog his exact quote is "This skull is from a small (presumed female) morph."

Sorry, yes I think Bennett was the one who was more definitive about this. The other possibility is that this shirt bill small crest morph is just juvenile. There are similar skulls that have been referred to subadult male P. longiceps. But given the dinorphism in other pterosaurs and the association of small bill/crests with wider hips, I do think assigning this as female is far more likely.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sauropelta

Anybody know why the full 2019 range hasn't been added to amazon yet?
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Ravonium

Quote from: Sauropelta on October 15, 2019, 04:05:57 PM
Anybody know why the full 2019 range hasn't been added to amazon yet?

IDK, but I highly doubt Safari have control over that.

Halichoeres

I'm not sure where you live, but I usually find it cheaper to order from Safari directly; they have free shipping for orders over $50. Of course, that only holds in the U.S., and I don't know where you live.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: