News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on August 05, 2018, 08:18:42 PM
Quote from: Ivysaur on August 05, 2018, 12:13:29 AM
Why do everyone want the normal basic dinos from Doug / Safari. I think there's so much unused dino's and I am sure Doug can create awesome species. Just take that Camarasaurus and and all the Ceratopsians as example. :O We need diversity aka all ceratopsians, all non-basic saurapoda and we need Hadrosaurida :O
I want Allosaurus and Dilophosaurus because, to be perfectly honest, the last Safari figures of those two animals do nothing for me.  They don't look great to me.  And neither has been done justice by other companies.  Papo is the one that's come the closest, but their Allo has bunny hands and their Dilo has that bizarre pose.  As for Deinonychus, I think it would be amazing to see a figure where the arms aren't splayed out in front and done more like in Emily Willoughby's illustration as seen here: https://emilywilloughby.com/gallery-data/images/the-terrible-claw.jpg

Failing that, an updated Utahraptor with it's more stocky body frame and curved lower jaw would also be interesting.

The Dilo also has a ridiculous mouse tail to go along with its ridiculous bunny hands. On the plus side, the colors are gorgeous. Very nice use of gradients.

Lizerd

If safari has one thing they do well in wild, it is the paint jobs. They are far better than the average Carnegie toy.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

KeU

Wow, I am late to the party.
This is a pretty good idea.
Making use of youtubers to get the new release information out.
Kudos to Safari.

New figures look fantastic.
Doug impresses as usual.
Really nice to see his sculpting evolution through the years, especially when looking at the Ceratopsians.
And the paint job seems greatly improved as well.
I wasn't a fan on the paintjob from Giga or Amargasaurus.
They look really good on this year's figures.

The Prehistoric Traveler

Great, great figures! The only one i don't really care for is the styracosaurus but that has little do with figure.

Bokisaurus

Lovely new ones, glad to see a ceratopsian and Camara make it!

Fembrogon

Why do everyone want the normal basic dinos from Doug / Safari. I think there's so much unused dino's and I am sure Doug can create awesome species. Just take that Camarasaurus and and all the Ceratopsians as example. :O We need diversity aka all ceratopsians, all non-basic saurapoda and we need Hadrosaurida :O
While I am in favor of more obscure genera being produced, some of the "normal, basic" dinos (I like to call them classic) aren't well represented in either quantity or quality. I would consider Camarasaurus closer to a classic genus than an obscure one (B-list, maybe?), but there are few figures available of it; and how many of the DOZENS of T.rex and Velociraptor figures out there depict the two genera in a currently scientifically accurate manner (and do it well)? There are at least a few, but not many.
I think there is also an appeal in finding a "definitive" figure of a genus - one that really stands out from all the others as the best possible representation of the genus. I think Safari ltd. has accomplished that status for several classic dinos like T.rex, Triceratops, and Velociraptor; the 2019 Styracosaurus looks like it could accomplish the same.
Shadowknight1 mentioned Allosaurus and Dilophosaurus; both genera have a fair number of figures representing them, but I'd agree that probably none capture the two dinos at their very best (although I think the Favorite co. series 1 Allo comes close, at least). It would be great to see Safari redo these two and present something collectors and paleo-nerds could point to as the go-to, must-have figures of the two dinosaur genera.

Reptilia

Did anybody notice that the new WS Carnotaurus displays the exact same colours of the Papo Baryonyx, even with a similar arrangement? That's probably the reason why I feel they're a bit off, I'm so used to see them over the Papo figure. Would be interesting to hear from Doug if he actually decided to borrow the colour scheme from Mr Seo or if it is just coincidence.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on August 06, 2018, 11:02:53 PM
Did anybody notice that the new WS Carnotaurus displays the exact same colours of the Papo Baryonyx, even with a similar arrangement? That's probably the reason why I feel they're a bit off, I'm so used to see them over the Papo figure. Would be interesting to hear from Doug if he actually decided to borrow the colour scheme from Mr Seo or if it is just coincidence.

I don't think it has similar colors to the Papo Baryonyx. It's a totally different color arrangement. I really don't understand what you are seeing.  The only similarity is the use of the color orange. Even then, it is a different type of orange altogether.

Gwangi

Quote from: Fembrogon on August 06, 2018, 08:22:44 PM
While I am in favor of more obscure genera being produced, some of the "normal, basic" dinos (I like to call them classic) aren't well represented in either quantity or quality. I would consider Camarasaurus closer to a classic genus than an obscure one (B-list, maybe?), but there are few figures available of it; and how many of the DOZENS of T.rex and Velociraptor figures out there depict the two genera in a currently scientifically accurate manner (and do it well)? There are at least a few, but not many.
I think there is also an appeal in finding a "definitive" figure of a genus - one that really stands out from all the others as the best possible representation of the genus. I think Safari ltd. has accomplished that status for several classic dinos like T.rex, Triceratops, and Velociraptor; the 2019 Styracosaurus looks like it could accomplish the same.
Shadowknight1 mentioned Allosaurus and Dilophosaurus; both genera have a fair number of figures representing them, but I'd agree that probably none capture the two dinos at their very best (although I think the Favorite co. series 1 Allo comes close, at least). It would be great to see Safari redo these two and present something collectors and paleo-nerds could point to as the go-to, must-have figures of the two dinosaur genera.

Couldn't agree more. I remember when the Safari Triceratops came out and I thought to myself "gee, do I really need another Triceratops". And then I looked at my shelf and noticed that my Triceratops figures were all really sub-par, with perhaps the old Safari model being the best. So, now I have the 2018 Triceratops, and I adore it. Best Triceratops in my collection.

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on August 07, 2018, 12:23:21 AM
Quote from: Fembrogon on August 06, 2018, 08:22:44 PM

Couldn't agree more. I remember when the Safari Triceratops came out and I thought to myself "gee, do I really need another Triceratops". And then I looked at my shelf and noticed that my Triceratops figures were all really sub-par, with perhaps the old Safari model being the best. So, now I have the 2018 Triceratops, and I adore it. Best Triceratops in my collection.

That's precisely why I want a new Stegosaurus. Safari has already given us the definitive T. rex, the definitive Velociraptor, the definitive Triceratops, and the definitive Ankylosaurus. Stegosaurus deserves to be next.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ITdactyl

Gwangi

Yes, I agree with your sentiment regarding Stegosaurus. Especially in light of Sophie. And a new Allosaurus would be nice too. I'm a sucker for the classics.

Toasaurus

I really want a plateosaurus reculpt cause theyre are not that many prosauropod figures and i want that to change does anyone aggree with me?

stegosauria

Quote from: Toasaurus on August 07, 2018, 01:41:10 AM
I really want a plateosaurus reculpt cause theyre are not that many prosauropod figures and i want that to change does anyone aggree with me?

Of coarse but I would like more variety. Almost every Prosauropod figure is a Plateosaurus, so maybe something else would be a little refreshing.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Reptilia on August 06, 2018, 11:02:53 PM

No as tanystropheus has said I don't see the "exact same colours" or "arrangement" and as I have mentioned before I try really hard not to copy other artwork since as you have seen with other cases of similar artwork there is always someone on the internet waiting for a "gotcha!" moment wether you did it on purpose or by accident. To that end when I come up with a paint scheme I do a quick scan of images on the web to see if I can find something that is too close and if I do I change it. In my original Carnotaurus my piece has a green base, the papo is grey, My striping is a purple hue, the papo is brown plus the pattern isn't the same at all. Actually the orange in my original does appear to be closer to the Papo than the production piece but putting orange or red on the head of a Carnotaurus is a common theme and I had always planned on doing it. The colouring is also not based on the Carnegie, when I saw that comment by someone else earlier I had to give my head a shake, I guess sometimes people see what they want to see.
I am not saying I am never influenced by other artists that would be ridiculous everyone is influenced consciously or unconsciously by good art but I do try not to do exact copies especially when it comes to other toys. When I finally retire I may post images of my original paint schemes they do tend to change sometimes by the time they make production.

Doug Watson

Quote from: SidB on August 04, 2018, 01:17:41 PM
Doug, way back on Dec. 4, 2017, on the New for 2018 Safari thread, Reply #1176,  you gave us a breakdown of the scales of your ceratopsians to date. These were (and are): Pachyrhinosaurus, 1:40; Triceratops and Diabolosaurus, 1:35; Nasutosaurus, 1:30; Vagaceratops and Regaliceratops, 1:25 annd Einiosaurus, 1:22.

Could you provide us with the scale of your latest, the remarkable Styracosaurus? I'm counting the days until it hits the market!

Sorry I missed this earlier, the Styracosaurus is 1:25 scale.

Lizerd

All mighty Doug, I have a question; how do you make such gorgeous models?
Personally I like the prestosuchus the most, more raurisuchians are cool
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

suspsy

So no more YouTube reveals, it seems. :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Lizerd

R.I.P, they were fun while they lasted.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Lizerd on August 07, 2018, 02:42:20 PM
All mighty Doug, I have a question; how do you make such gorgeous models?
Personally I like the prestosuchus the most, more raurisuchians are cool

Well thank you, it is simple actually, as it was explained to me by a stone and antler carver years ago and it applies to clay, start with a lump of clay and take away everything that doesn't look like a Prestosuchus. ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: