News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorgesaurus

as 2 years ago I said I am a super fan of Doug Watson I enjoy every prehistoric model he makes. I love the new carnotaurus and camarasaurus. the styracosaurus and woolly rhinoceros are fantastic. thank you Doug every year you give us authentic and detailed figures. I still have my dream of seeing a new stegosaurus and I also hope that Safari will show more of what comes in 2019 of prehistoric life. DOUG WATSON YOU ARE THE BEST.

Lizerd

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 07, 2018, 03:21:04 PM
Quote from: Lizerd on August 07, 2018, 02:42:20 PM
All mighty Doug, I have a question; how do you make such gorgeous models?
Personally I like the prestosuchus the most, more raurisuchians are cool

Well thank you, it is simple actually, as it was explained to me by a stone and antler carver years ago and it applies to clay, start with a lump of clay and take away everything that doesn't look like a Prestosuchus. ;)
Brilliant, actually brilliant  :D.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

SidB

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 07, 2018, 01:55:29 PM
Quote from: SidB on August 04, 2018, 01:17:41 PM
Doug, way back on Dec. 4, 2017, on the New for 2018 Safari thread, Reply #1176,  you gave us a breakdown of the scales of your ceratopsians to date. These were (and are): Pachyrhinosaurus, 1:40; Triceratops and Diabolosaurus, 1:35; Nasutosaurus, 1:30; Vagaceratops and Regaliceratops, 1:25 annd Einiosaurus, 1:22.

Could you provide us with the scale of your latest, the remarkable Styracosaurus? I'm counting the days until it hits the market!

Sorry I missed this earlier, the Styracosaurus is 1:25 scale.

Thanks, Doug - appreciated!

Reptilia

Quote from: tanystropheus on August 06, 2018, 11:38:31 PM
I don't think it has similar colors to the Papo Baryonyx. It's a totally different color arrangement. I really don't understand what you are seeing.  The only similarity is the use of the color orange. Even then, it is a different type of orange altogether.

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 07, 2018, 01:45:56 PM
No as tanystropheus has said I don't see the "exact same colours" or "arrangement" and as I have mentioned before I try really hard not to copy other artwork since as you have seen with other cases of similar artwork there is always someone on the internet waiting for a "gotcha!" moment wether you did it on purpose or by accident. To that end when I come up with a paint scheme I do a quick scan of images on the web to see if I can find something that is too close and if I do I change it. In my original Carnotaurus my piece has a green base, the papo is grey, My striping is a purple hue, the papo is brown plus the pattern isn't the same at all. Actually the orange in my original does appear to be closer to the Papo than the production piece but putting orange or red on the head of a Carnotaurus is a common theme and I had always planned on doing it. The colouring is also not based on the Carnegie, when I saw that comment by someone else earlier I had to give my head a shake, I guess sometimes people see what they want to see.
I am not saying I am never influenced by other artists that would be ridiculous everyone is influenced consciously or unconsciously by good art but I do try not to do exact copies especially when it comes to other toys. When I finally retire I may post images of my original paint schemes they do tend to change sometimes by the time they make production.

Must be the lighting then, I thought they were pretty close:

And I talked about similar arrangement, not same pattern. Body is grey with brown/burgundy striping/shades, while the splash of orange is on the head, I'd say on both. But maybe is just the light in that particular picture, I didn't see the videos twice so I can be mistaken.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Reptilia on August 07, 2018, 08:34:56 PM
I don't think it has similar colors to the Papo Baryonyx. It's a totally different color arrangement. I really don't understand what you are seeing.  The only similarity is the use of the color orange. Even then, it is a different type of orange altogether.

No as tanystropheus has said I don't see the "exact same colours" or "arrangement" and as I have mentioned before I try really hard not to copy other artwork since as you have seen with other cases of similar artwork there is always someone on the internet waiting for a "gotcha!" moment wether you did it on purpose or by accident. To that end when I come up with a paint scheme I do a quick scan of images on the web to see if I can find something that is too close and if I do I change it. In my original Carnotaurus my piece has a green base, the papo is grey, My striping is a purple hue, the papo is brown plus the pattern isn't the same at all. Actually the orange in my original does appear to be closer to the Papo than the production piece but putting orange or red on the head of a Carnotaurus is a common theme and I had always planned on doing it. The colouring is also not based on the Carnegie, when I saw that comment by someone else earlier I had to give my head a shake, I guess sometimes people see what they want to see.
I am not saying I am never influenced by other artists that would be ridiculous everyone is influenced consciously or unconsciously by good art but I do try not to do exact copies especially when it comes to other toys. When I finally retire I may post images of my original paint schemes they do tend to change sometimes by the time they make production.

And I talked about similar arrangement, not same pattern. Body is grey with brown/burgundy striping/shades, while the splash of orange is on the head, I'd say on both. But maybe is just the light in that particular picture, I didn't see the videos twice so I can be mistaken.

arrangement or pattern that is a matter of semantics. That shot of my Carnotaurus is pretty washed out, when he first pulls it out of the box you can see the colours are darker. My original paint certainly is darker. I don't have the Baryonyx so I was only going off the images I found online which looked very grey. Your photo looks green. All I can say is I wasn't influenced by it, believe me or not that's up to you.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: suspsy on August 07, 2018, 02:50:51 PM
So no more YouTube reveals, it seems. :(

I'm still hoping for a second run of reveals when we are closer to the usual release dates, like late October or November.

Lizerd

Maybe we will get a model of Yunck?
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Sim

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 05, 2018, 03:16:49 PM
Maybe they are going to show more figures in another big batch later, like half and half. I would like to see they doing like half new species and half new versions of carnegies. If we count Citipati as Oviraptor all of the dinosaurs so far are new versions of carnegies, hopefully there is another totally new dinosaur.

It's funny, since before the Citipati was revealed I thought the Anzu was being made to fill the gap left by the Carnegie Oviraptor.  The Citipati might better fill that gap, as it's more closely related and it's from the same ecosystem, but it might still be a totally new species for Safari.  Both versions of the Carnegie Oviraptor represent the 100/42 oviraptorid.  This very well-known oviraptorid specimen currently doesn't have a scientific name and in the past has been referred to as both Oviraptor and Citipati.  If the Wild Safari Citipati represents the species Citipati osmolskae, then I think this would be the first time ever that this species has been made into a figure.  avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, would you be able to say what animal the Wild Safari Citipati represents?

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Sim on August 07, 2018, 09:51:56 PM
Maybe they are going to show more figures in another big batch later, like half and half. I would like to see they doing like half new species and half new versions of carnegies. If we count Citipati as Oviraptor all of the dinosaurs so far are new versions of carnegies, hopefully there is another totally new dinosaur.

It's funny, since before the Citipati was revealed I thought the Anzu was being made to fill the gap left by the Carnegie Oviraptor.  The Citipati might better fill that gap, as it's more closely related and it's from the same ecosystem, but it might still be a totally new species for Safari.  Both versions of the Carnegie Oviraptor represent the 100/42 oviraptorid.  This very well-known oviraptorid specimen currently doesn't have a scientific name and in the past has been referred to as both Oviraptor and Citipati.  If the Wild Safari Citipati represents the species Citipati osmolskae, then I think this would be the first time ever that this species has been made into a figure.  avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson, would you be able to say what animal the Wild Safari Citipati represents?

I see. I guess is more correct or safe to say that all other Oviraptors by safari are based on that unnamed specimen and call this new Citipati as a brand new species for them.

Sim

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M.: The only other "Oviraptor" by Safari that I can think of is the Dino Discoveries one and that one is also based on the unnamed 100/42 oviraptorid.  In case it's of interest, I went through a lot of oviraptorid figures a while back and listed ones that are based on the unnamed specimen in Reply #558 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6016.msg182201#msg182201

I've actually found it surprisingly hard to tell whether the Wild Safari version is Citipati osmolskae or the 100/42 oviraptorid.  I think it is C. osmolskae, but it would be helpful if Doug could say what the WS figure represents!  If the WS figure is the 100/42 oviraptorid then it represents the same animal as the Carnegie "Oviraptor", if the WS figure is C. osmolskae then it represents an animal Safari hasn't done before.

Toasaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 07, 2018, 09:02:41 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 07, 2018, 02:50:51 PM
So no more YouTube reveals, it seems. :(

I'm still hoping for a second run of reveals when we are closer to the usual release dates, like late October or November.
no my friend messaged safari and they said they will reveal the rest soon that could be anything but im guessing september cause thats when safari starts to reveal there figures and relase them due the past years

Jose S.M.

avatar_Sim @Sim Thanks for that link, I was about to search for that post, as I remembered but didn't remember if the Schleich Oviraptor was based on that specimen.

Safari posted something about a sneek peak reveal coming soon on their Facebook, maybe we'll get their official photos of the figures?

SBell

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 07, 2018, 08:54:08 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on August 07, 2018, 08:34:56 PM

arrangement or pattern that is a matter of semantics. That shot of my Carnotaurus is pretty washed out, when he first pulls it out of the box you can see the colours are darker. My original paint certainly is darker. I don't have the Baryonyx so I was only going off the images I found online which looked very grey. Your photo looks green. All I can say is I wasn't influenced by it, believe me or not that's up to you.

Well, avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson , if you look closely you'll see that you used colours that are visible to the naked eye, i.e. the 'visible spectrum'. Obviously Papo was the first to do this... :P

Seriously, I can see nothing similar between these two dinos in any way shape or form. Yours is brilliant, the other one is...Papo.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on August 07, 2018, 09:51:56 PM

I based mine on Citipati osmolskae.

Josesaurus rex

I noticed that they sometimes mention Prestosuchus. Is that correct or is there a writing error?

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Josesaurus rex on August 08, 2018, 04:44:50 AM
I noticed that they sometimes mention Prestosuchus. Is that correct or is there a writing error?

Prestosuchus is correct. I guess you were thinking of it was a misnamed Postosuchus? But they are different animals.

Josesaurus rex

I also take advantage of congratulating Mr. Watson, for his rigor in the idealization of each new sculpture he makes, since he always manages to surpass the expectations.   :D

I fully agree with you about what was talked about above, about the colors of the dinosaurs that you spat, because it is impossible not to find similarities in the coloring or in some poses that other artists have done before, because that is completely involuntary and unconscious, because no matter how hard you try to make a creation as original as possible, someone has always done something similar. And I know exactly what I'm talking about, because it's also happened to me with many of the drawings and the few sculptures I've made. Always, although I do not propose it, they share certain subtleties with other works, but I do not consider that I have copied them. Perhaps more adelate, when I have painted my sculptures I will share them in this forum so that everyone here can appreciate them and give me their opinions so that they know what I should improve in my technique.

It never hurts to mention that his work is of the highest level, both artistic and scientific, and I hope we can enjoy his sculptures for a long time.  ;) ;D

Josesaurus rex

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 08, 2018, 05:22:24 AM
Quote from: Josesaurus rex on August 08, 2018, 04:44:50 AM

Prestosuchus is correct. I guess you were thinking of it was a misnamed Postosuchus? But they are different animals.

I just thought they were referring to Postosuchus. I completely ignored this other species.

Thank you very much for your clarification. :)

Takama

Doug, way back on Dec. 4, 2017, on the New for 2018 Safari thread, Reply #1176,  you gave us a breakdown of the scales of your ceratopsians to date. These were (and are): Pachyrhinosaurus, 1:40; Triceratops and Diabolosaurus, 1:35; Nasutosaurus, 1:30; Vagaceratops and Regaliceratops, 1:25 annd Einiosaurus, 1:22.

Could you provide us with the scale of your latest, the remarkable Styracosaurus? I'm counting the days until it hits the market!

1:25? I thoght it was 1:35 :o   

SidB

Quote from: Takama on August 08, 2018, 10:37:34 AM

1:25? I thoght it was 1:35 :o   

Check out reply# 173 on this thread with Kayakasaurus' pictures - it's helpful.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: