News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vidusaurus

Quote from: Sauropelta on October 10, 2018, 10:23:21 PM
The lips thing kinda makes sense but I still think the teeth should be visible when it's mouth is open like that. Should have made them at least sharp looking so it stands out better but they look like human teeth. Carno looks like an old man to me.

I'm a big fan of it design-wise, I think it gives it a suitably "jowly" look, kind of like a big dog.

Sauropelta

Improved wild safari design when I get it. Will look better with paint.

Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sauropelta on October 10, 2018, 10:23:21 PM
The lips thing kinda makes sense but I still think the teeth should be visible when it's mouth is open like that. Should have made them at least sharp looking so it stands out better but they look like human teeth. Carno looks like an old man to me.

They should allow you to manually roll up the lips and palpate the teeth.

Minmiminime

That's freaky, I had a micro-doze on the bus home and awoke sharply with the fleeting but deeply peculiar sense that I was the Giganotosaurus, and my gran was doing just that to me 🙃
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

tanystropheus

Quote from: Minmiminime on October 11, 2018, 08:15:09 PM
That's freaky, I had a micro-doze on the bus home and awoke sharply with the fleeting but deeply peculiar sense that I was the Giganotosaurus, and my gran was doing just that to me 🙃

Your gran was rolling up your lips and palpating your teeth? What a weird dream! :o

Minmiminime

I'm guessing an unfortunate combination of insomnia and the day's events created the right conditions for such weirdness 🙈 I guess the "lips debate" has had me thinking but why it manifested itself that way...Still, I'm always delighted to dream that I am a dinosaur 😹

It can't be long now until this collection is released, and the Styracosaurus is a cert on my list. I am unfortunately going to have to be far more selective in future, I may even have to offload some of my collection or archive them. Luckily, I have a young nephew who is already showing signs of fascination with the natural world, so I may be able to keep them in the family. Stunning and desirable as these new Safari models are, a lot of them have to go on the "hopefully someday" list. The Carnotaurus is very tempting too, though...
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I guess I'll have to wait another year to see if I'll ever get a Koolasuchus.  ;)
Before anyone says anything, it's definitely not super obscure at this point! It was in Walking With Dinosaurs, Disney's Dinosaur, and just this last year, it was included in Jurassic World: Alive (AKA Pokemon Go but with dinosaurs), and was the subject of an entire episode of PBS Eons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGthtRZl8B0

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 14, 2018, 01:35:25 PM
I guess I'll have to wait another year to see if I'll ever get a Koolasuchus.  ;)
Before anyone says anything, it's definitely not super obscure at this point! It was in Walking With Dinosaurs, Disney's Dinosaur, and just this last year, it was included in Jurassic World: Alive (AKA Pokemon Go but with dinosaurs), and was the subject of an entire episode of PBS Eons!

Of course, if Doug and Safari didn't mind going more obscure, I also would not object to Prionosuchus! It got front-cover treatment in Abbey Howard's recent book.

suspsy

Has Safari ever done a prehistoric amphibian? CollectA certainly hasn't!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

postsaurischian

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 14, 2018, 01:35:25 PM

I can highly recommend the one released by Dan:
http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/koolasuchus-resin-kit-by-dans-dinosaurs/

Halichoeres

Quote from: suspsy on October 14, 2018, 02:11:41 PM
Has Safari ever done a prehistoric amphibian? CollectA certainly hasn't!

They have but only the fossil frog from the Ancient Fossils Toob. Precious few companies have made live prehistoric amphibians. Kaiyodo, Play Visions, Bullyland, Yowie, Starlux, and whoever made the Dawn of the Dinosaurs set. You could add in Yujin and Paleozoo if you include stem-tetrapods, or Schleich if you include the frog that was in the advent calendar and volcano playset. I might be missing a couple of companies, but if so they're fairly obscure ones.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Unfortunately, prehistoric amphibians are one of the most ignored species in the toy market. Fortunately, I already have on my shelves the entire amphibian collection of Play Visions and the mastodonsaurus of Bullyland. Honestly I have to recognize that prehistoric amphibians are figures of prehistoric and extinct animals that would have very little success in the toy market among the public especially children and even among the adult public (collectors). This may be one of the reasons why no mark of prehistoric animals is encouraged to make such figures that sincerely for me would be highly desired.

Gwangi

I'm surprised that no one has at least made a Diplocaulus.

Brocc21

Quote from: Gwangi on October 15, 2018, 12:12:36 AM

In hoops and dinomans dinosaur stories (he made a new video with his bro rewatching it) he has a diplocaulus. He doesn't know where he got it. He said it was from a yard sale. It's a chinasaur but I think it looks pretty good. Don't know if you could track it down though.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Gwangi

Quote from: Brocc21 on October 16, 2018, 01:57:14 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on October 15, 2018, 12:12:36 AM

In hoops and dinomans dinosaur stories (he made a new video with his bro rewatching it) he has a diplocaulus. He doesn't know where he got it. He said it was from a yard sale. It's a chinasaur but I think it looks pretty good. Don't know if you could track it down though.

Interesting, let the hunt begin. I believe there are plush ones out there too.

Sim

Quote from: Gwangi on October 16, 2018, 02:27:24 AM
Interesting, let the hunt begin. I believe there are plush ones out there too.

There's a few more Diplocaulus figures too, as can be seen here: http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Diplocaulus

tanystropheus

Animals such as Diplocaulus, Dimetrodon or Edaphosaurus have an 'extant' look about them.

Shonisaurus

But the dimetrodon and edaphosaurus I think are reptiles like I call reptiles with mammalian characteristics. They have nothing to do with the diplocaulus which is an amphibian.

The diplocaulus is unfortunately not as successful in sales as the edaphosaurus is to a lesser extent and in a superlative measure the dimetrodon is one of the most represented prehistoric animals in the toy market, perhaps because it has the characteristics of a carnivore with such teeth. prominent that makes many people not understood in high degree think it is a kind of dinosaur.

Both diplocaulus and edahphosaurus are unfortunately not as successful. In fact Bullyland marketed one and I think it has not been very successful. The diplocaulus except Play Visions and Asian companies that I remember
  There are not many representations of this emblematic amphibian for reasons of commercialization.

Diplocaulus would be fun too! Though to be honest I'm one of those 1:40 scale freaks, and so I'm pulling for Koolasuchus or Prionosuchus so that they can fit better into my collection.  ;)

Sauropelta

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on October 16, 2018, 07:08:53 PM
Diplocaulus would be fun too! Though to be honest I'm one of those 1:40 scale freaks, and so I'm pulling for Koolasuchus or Prionosuchus so that they can fit better into my collection.  ;)

1:40 scale Diplocaulus would be tiny. They're only around 3.3 feet long. You'd probably lose it under a couch or something.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: