You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eorhynchochelys: beaked & shell-less basal turtle

Started by ZoPteryx, August 23, 2018, 06:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Eorhynchochelys sinensis

"China's Dawn Beak Turtle"

From the Late Triassic, the earliest known turtle with a toothless beak that still lacked a shell, similar to the toothed Pappochelys.  The study also finds turtle to be sister to the rest of [archosaurs + lepidosaurs] clade, but not especially close to sauropterygians, while still being diapsids of course.  At 2.5 meters long, it was also pretty big for a stem turtle!

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-fossil-turtle-didnt-shell-toothless.html

Pay-walled paper:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0419-1

Halichoeres

Really cool. Maybe we'll get a figure from PNSO!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Look at those broad ribs - it was doing something out of the ordinary with them, whether protective or structural. Just on the cusp of shelling up! It's hard to tell exactly what's going on with the scapulae, but it seems the classic turtleish trick of getting the pectoral girdle inside the ribcage had not yet been accomplished.

Too cool. Also, 2.5 m! Even if most of it is tail, it's still in Macrochelys territory size-wise. What a beast!

Oh, how I adore the Triassic.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.