News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrimevalRaptor

Quote from: MLMjp on November 30, 2019, 12:51:01 PM
Yeah the paint disappoints a little bit...It reminds me of how the Baryonyx turned out, I don't think is that bad, but for a limited edition I think they should have put more effort...

My thoughts exactly, it's not horrible, I still like it a lot (and I gotta say the Baryonyx also still looks pretty great) but given it's a limited version, you would think they'd crank up the paintjob a tad closer to the original.

And the new images look MUCH better, I'd say. :D

Shonisaurus

S @Syndicate Bias Thanks Sydicate Bias for facilitating the size of the spinosaurus, if it is as large as the PNSO spinosaurus that means it is a massive figure. I am glad anyway to have bought it, but what they said could have made Papo try to make a figure with a painting equal to that of the prototype. And above all, thanks for sharing information and photographs.

oscars_dinos

Despite the paint job being a little bit of a disappointment I think the figure is worth it for the sculpt.
It seems the best place to get is happy hen huh? considering I'm in the US

Loon

Quote from: imnewhere on December 02, 2019, 08:08:09 PM
Despite the paint job being a little bit of a disappointment I think the figure is worth it for the sculpt.

Happy Hen would be the best, it "only" comes out to about $70ish including shipping. The only other option would be Dan's Dinosaurs, which I think is around $90 shipped.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Loon on December 02, 2019, 09:25:44 PM
Quote from: imnewhere on December 02, 2019, 08:08:09 PM

Happy Hen would be the best, it "only" comes out to about $70ish including shipping. The only other option would be Dan's Dinosaurs, which I think is around $90 shipped.

I checked Dan's Dinosaurs it's about $105 USD unless the prices went down

empire3569

My Papo Spinosaurus came in today as well (Ordered from Happy Hen), I won't post pics as the paint looks identical to every other picture that has been posted, but will give my thoughts:

1. Paint: Yes, the paint scheme is not as intricate as the prototype, however, I will say it looks much better in person than in the promo pics. Its fairly intricate with nice drybrushing and highlighting. It has a nice mixture of more earthen tones mixed with some brighter oranges, and I really like the sail pattern and body striping. Slightly glossy without appearing overly wet. 8/10

2. Sculpt/details: Meticulous as per Papo standard. Nice osteoderms sculpted in rows along the back, giving it a nice crocodilian vibe without going all out crocodile (like the CollectA models). I know the eel-like tail is kinda controversial, however I personally really like it. I think it gives a very unique look, and it looks pretty natural overall with the rest of the sculpt. 9/10

3. Accuracy: As per typical Papo, it seems to have some inaccuracies; the tail seems too short, the skull too large, however both of these are minor and don't really take away from it. The arms however, the enlarged first claw is present and their is webbing between the fingers, however the arms themselves seem too bulky and depending on the angle, look a bit goofy. The sail seems consistent with the new reconstruction, however does have a slight bend along the curvature of the animal, I am not aware if the actual sail could bend (I would assume it would), and it's not a huge bend and seems very believable. Has good bulk to it, doesn't appear too shrink-wrapped. 7/10

4. Pose: again, classic Papo, the model appears alive and in motion, doesn't suffer from the extreme poses that have plagued some of the more recent models (cough cough Baryonyx). It appears to represent an animal either walking along the bottom of a lake/river, or in shallow water. The knuckle-walking doesn't seem possible outside of the water, so as long as you interpret the animal in an aquatic setting, which you should, then I think it's great. My only issue, which is mentioned above, is the oversize arms look a bit off depending on the viewing angle. 9/10

Overall impressions: An excellently sculpted figure with a nice, realistic paint scheme (although not quite as detailed as the prototype), lifelike pose and sculpt with exquisite details and some minor anatomical accuracies that has a unique take on a very unique animal. Overall would definitely recommend picking this up if you are a fan of Spinosaurus or Papo

PhilSauria

Although we won't be able to get our hands on the new Spinosaurus here in Australia until the new year, after just watching Andy's video review I almost feel as though I have had one in my hands to examine and turn over to check out the mass-produced version.
The level of detail and paint app are of a very high standard and tail seam aside I think that this is a very well made and quality item.

Given some of the comments in regard to this figure of late I am just going to say that my enthusiasm for it has only increased after seeing the video review and recent sharp images and I will be more than happy to add it to my collection and find a prominent position for it. Sure it's an artist's interpretation and we are all entitled to our opinion in our response to it, but in my opinion it is one of Papo's best and I can't wait to own one.

And yes I realize that not everyone will agree and that I may be in a minority for standing up and defending this release in the current climate but there you go. I hope to have the Rebor release join it on the shelf in due course as well.

Ceratosaurus

My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Loon

I have to say, I've been a bit dowb on this thing after the Rebor was announced. I even considered cancelling my order for a bit. But, after watching Andy's video, I'm happy it shipped before I could cancel itI kept it. Despite the comments about the paint, I have to say the new scheme looks fine.

oscars_dinos

My order for the spino on happy hen says "pending review", I've never ordered from them so if any of you have, would you mind sharing how long their shipping takes? I'm in the states so would a week be a good estimate?

Flaffy

The paint on Andy's specimen looks better than the promo pics, but that isn't really saying much considering how low the bar is.
Still no where near the level of detail and care as seen on the prototype.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: imnewhere on December 03, 2019, 06:14:11 AM
My order for the spino on happy hen says "pending review", I've never ordered from them so if any of you have, would you mind sharing how long their shipping takes? I'm in the states so would a week be a good estimate?

Ordered at 11 am on Friday. Arrived today so 4 days but I saw their shipping details it was shipped by 2 day priority

Shonisaurus

I hope that it will be marketed soon in everythingdinosaur on December 10 this figure is sold. Sincerely I would have expected something much better painted but the figure is honestly of very good quality, what fails are the details of painting but for me it is an essential figure for my collection.

Shonisaurus

The Papo spinosaurus limited version of 2019 looks much better than I thought. I have seen the video and I can say that the figure is acceptably finished and with details especially those of the legs and tail. Of course the teeth could be better finished.

HappyHen

This is Kevin from Happy Hen Toys.  We just received the 2019 Spino on Friday.  We typically ship same / next day.  We are taking extra care in packing these Spinos so the display box doesn't get damaged during shipping (e.g. centering the dino in the box with paper all around).  When your order ships, we automatically send you the tracking info.  You can always email us at [email protected] with any specific questions on your order or status.  Thanks for your business and we hope you enjoy your Spino!!!

DaleRussell

Would you guys say papo's rendition is more accurate than PNSO's?

CarnotaurusKing

Quote from: DaleRussell on December 03, 2019, 10:55:46 AM

The Papo has a skull that's closer to that of the real animal, but the PNSO has better post-cranial anatomy.

stargatedalek

Quote from: DaleRussell on December 03, 2019, 10:55:46 AM
PNSO gets more skeletal details right, but Papo's gets more soft tissue right.

Papacube

Hello,

I took some pictures of my model and I also shoot a video if you want to see it. Everything is here :

http://www.papacube.com/2019/12/spinosaure-edition-limitee-2019-papo-limited.html

Here is the video, it's in french (I am french) but you can see the pictures :
https://www.youtube.com/embed/NOWbDj3wkWw

I hope you'll like it.
Thanks,

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: