News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Lu_Yuping on May 01, 2020, 03:57:33 PM
You can't just deny facts when they don't align with your previous convictions. This is how climate change denial happens. It's no longer theory, it's public knowledge. We are done here.
You clearly aren't even reading what I've been posting or you'd have known I wasn't claiming that Spinosaurus didn't have an enlarged swimming tail. Rather, I'm trying to spell it out that it's tail looked nothing like the Papo models does.

The Papo model adds a bunch of fin rays and gives the Spinosaurus a distinctively eel inspired tail. This is not accurate. In reality Spinosaurus' tail structure would have been covered in skin or scales extending upwards from the rest of its tail, and even if it was thin enough to see the vertebrae through (which is a decent possibility for the tail specifically), they were spaced well apart as the spines are part of the vertebrae. Spinosaurus doesn't have enough vertebrae for the hundreds of little spines the Papo uses.

I recommend reading through at least the past few pages of this topic discussing various Spinosaurus reconstructions and which get certain details better than others.
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8321.new#new

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 01, 2020, 03:55:07 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on May 01, 2020, 03:31:50 PM
Quote from: Lu_Yuping on May 01, 2020, 03:14:44 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on May 01, 2020, 03:10:06 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on May 01, 2020, 02:57:38 PM
The Papo Spinosaurus is not unique in having as much of a fin as it does, as the Schleich and PNSO also have fins, just fleshy shark-like ones rather than thin ones.

The Papo fin ("fish-tail"/"eel-tail") was the most talked about feature when it was first revealed in the forum. In fact, a number of members criticized the Papo for having a fin in the first place. I wouldn't say, definitively, that the Papo rendition has a thin fin as it runs dorsally and appears to be somewhat continuous with the sail and other muscular supports. At least, that's what it looks like when I hold the model in hand. The Schleich Spino has no such fins - it has pronounced scutes running down its rather large crocodilian tail, giving off a somewhat lobe like silhouette (but they are scutes, nonetheless)

Exactly. I also remember reading so much anger over the finned tail, with many people flat out denying it had any basis in factual evidence. The chickens have come home to roost on this one and it would be nice to see some humility.
It doesn't have any basis in factual evidence! Spinosaurus did not have a fish fin! This thing looks like it was literally ripped off of a fish and glued onto the Spinosaurus.

It does have factual evidence as the National Geographic article even described it as being a "fish-like" adaptation (and the journal Nature describes it as "flexible-fin like"). The main difference is that the Papo interpretation has shorter neural spines than the latest findings.

https://www.sciencealert.com/dinosaurs-could-swim-startling-spinosaurus-discovery-in-sahara-desert-suggests
A)
I'm one of the people who praised the Papo Spinosaurus for doing something halfway clever with the tail when it was first announced, so don't start talking like this thing is some kind of underdog hero. Ultimately though it was a nice idea to include a tail fin Papo executed it in a ridiculous way that a lot of people, myself included, were rather disappointed by. I believe I even mentioned at the time that they should have done it like a newts tail, a feature that something which is not a fish is capable of developing.

People weren't saying the tail was inaccurate because "Spinosaurus shouldn't have a fin!", but because Papo made the fin out of fin rays, something most animals don't and can't have, instead of making it out of flesh or vertebrae.

B)
I wasn't talking about the little spikes coming off the end of the Schleich's tail, but rather the enlarged vertical shape of the entire tail. See other topic.

C)
Since when was a vague comparison by Nat Geo gospel?

tanystropheus

The Schleich Spinosaurus has a floppy crocodilian tail with extra large scutes. Your description is reaching.

Loon

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 01, 2020, 05:47:27 PM
The Schleich Spinosaurus has a floppy crocodilian tail with extra large scutes. Your description is reaching.
Or you could actually react to that in the topic where I posted an actual defense instead of continuing this here purely to try and make me look bad.

I'm saying the entire tail of the Schleich Spinosaurus has a fin, not the tip of the tail with its pointy little whatever.
Quote from: me in that other thread I already linked toThe Schleich Spinosaurus definitely has a fin. When I say "fin", I'm not referring to a section of skin held up by spines, I'm referring to a flattened structure used for underwater propulsion or stability. Sharks and dolphins have fins too, just because something is a "fin" doesn't mean it's going to look like it's made of fin rays like on a traditional fish. So I wasn't talking about the little spines coming off of the end of the tail, I'm talking about how enlarged it is vertically. This Spinosaurus has a fin on its tail, a big thick one that's largely uniform along its length and looks almost like a beavers tail flipped sideways.

Which, I stress again, is also closer to the new tail we see on Spinosaurus than giving it fin rays like a fish, which it decidedly did not have.

Spoiler
[close]

Lu_Yuping

Looking at my 'limited edition' spino, which has a terrible paint job btw, I think its tail is far too short.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Lu_Yuping on May 01, 2020, 07:07:53 PM
Looking at my 'limited edition' spino, which has a terrible paint job btw, I think its tail is far too short.
Yes, the neck and tail are also both awfully short. This presumably to allow it to be produced with greater bulk while using less space, but then they went and packaged it in that oversized box defeating any benefit to the scrunched proportions.

Lu_Yuping

Quote from: stargatedalek on May 01, 2020, 07:15:57 PM
Quote from: Lu_Yuping on May 01, 2020, 07:07:53 PM
Yes, the neck and tail are also both awfully short. This presumably to allow it to be produced with greater bulk while using less space, but then they went and packaged it in that oversized box defeating any benefit to the scrunched proportions.

Yeah... zero effort went into that packaging, so I threw it away into recycling. Overall I was disappointed with the quality for the price I paid, but the promotional images look great.

Loon

Oh, I don't think the paint job is too bad, and yes, shockingly I own one and quite like it.

Lu_Yuping

Quote from: Loon on May 01, 2020, 07:43:27 PM
Oh, I don't think the paint job is too bad, and yes, shockingly I own one and quite like it.

The white paint on the teeth spills out onto the guns and the paint on the sail is just sprayed on. Very sloppy.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Lu_Yuping on May 02, 2020, 11:05:27 AM

The white paint on the teeth spills out onto the guns and the paint on the sail is just sprayed on. Very sloppy.

Oh, that's unfortunate...I received my Papo LE Spinosaurus from Happy Hen. There's no spillage of white paint on the teeth on my model. It's comparable to the promotions (although, it was originally depicted with a deeper wash coupled with lighter shades of gray overall) with the colors being darker in the retail product. I think it looks great. The color scheme must have taken some inspiration from their earlier models, including Acro (v1 and v2) as well as the Baryonyx.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Lu_Yuping @Lu_Yuping I'm so sorry about your Papo spinosaurus. In my case I have two Papo spinosaurus, one from everythingdinosaur and another from urzeitshop.de and I can assure you that fortunately none of the figures suffer from paint defects. The two spinosaurus are meticulously painted and are beautifully detailed figures. I give credit for it because I have them.

Lu_Yuping

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 02, 2020, 02:13:48 PM

avatar_Lu_Yuping @Lu_Yuping I'm so sorry about your Papo spinosaurus. In my case I have two Papo spinosaurus, one from everythingdinosaur and another from urzeitshop.de and I can assure you that fortunately none of the figures suffer from paint defects. The two spinosaurus are meticulously painted and are beautifully detailed figures. I give credit for it because I have them.

Mine was from the first batch of Everything Dinosaur, I probably just got unlucky. But it has made me wary about ordering Papo in future. I bought my first Rebor last week, I'm sure you can easily guess which.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Lu_Yuping on May 02, 2020, 02:22:55 PM

I suppose the tyrannosaurus or have you ordered the titanoboa as in my case?

Mine was from the first batch of Everything Dinosaur, I probably just got unlucky. But it has made me wary about ordering Papo in future. I bought my first Rebor last week, I'm sure you can easily guess which.

Lu_Yuping

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 02, 2020, 02:38:00 PM

I'm very tempted but no, I'll give you a clue. It's in my avatar.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Lu_Yuping on May 03, 2020, 04:30:12 PM

Already fall the alien that you show in your profile?

Lu_Yuping

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 03, 2020, 06:12:58 PM
Quote from: Lu_Yuping on May 03, 2020, 04:30:12 PM

Already fall the alien that you show in your profile?

I don't understand your words.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Lu_Yuping @Lu_Yuping I mean the first Rebor figure you bought is this?

Rebor 1:35 Broodlord X-REX Metallic

That is, the one you show in your profile photo.

Lu_Yuping

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 04, 2020, 01:55:38 PM

Yes that's correct! I'm a big fan of the Alien films so it was love at first sight. Now I've got my eye on the V-Rex.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Lu_Yuping on May 04, 2020, 01:59:27 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 04, 2020, 01:55:38 PM

Yes that's correct! I'm a big fan of the Alien films so it was love at first sight. Now I've got my eye on the V-Rex.

I also like fictional figures the movie "alien the eighth passenger" captivated me is a very interesting film.

I have the two Rebor vastatosaurus rex and I can tell you that they are two fabulous figures that you are going to like very much.

Blade-of-the-Moon

getting a bit off topic take this over to the Rebor thread

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: