News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minmiminime

I'm happy with 2 new ones 😊 Last year was pretty rich, I guess they've got to slow things down a bit sometimes. It must be a an eye-wateringly expensive business designing and producing such high-end figures, and I suspect it's a fairly niche market. The number of fantastic models across all companies has boomed (and I know, sadly, occasionally busted) in recent years. We've got such a variety of different styles and price ranges to choose from!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on December 05, 2018, 09:10:25 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on December 05, 2018, 07:55:35 PM
Also, don't forget there's about two more Papos that haven't been revealed.

That's just an assumption, like the past year, when folks kept talking about a Giganotosaurus reveal for weeks after the actual line up leaked. I'm the first wanting another big Papo theropod, but I think it is extremely unlikely that there's gonna be more, and stating that like a fact will only bring people to moan, eventually. Then Paladinos Mexico pretty much confirmed on their Facebook that this is all. They said that Papo announced their new models for 2019, not that this is the first batch and more will follow.

On a different note, what does the Acrocanthosaurus and Compsognathus set has to do with this thread? They're both 2018 releases, and they are now sold as a combo while we're still in 2018, nothing to do with 2019 novelties. No?

The reason I mentioned the Acro and Compy is because, they too, were subject to scrutiny at their first reveal. The Acro, for example, looked rather big-headed. However, as is the case with numerous Papo models (e.g. Theri, Acro, Baryonyx, Cave Bear etc.), the final result is often far better proportioned than the promotional/initial reveals. So, I think it would be unwise to take the Penta and Gorga at face value.

Reptilia

Wasn't referring to you talking about the Acrocanthosaurus and Compsognathus, tanystropheus. Was just wondering why the image of the boxed set for the two is on the first post of this thread, not being 2019 releases at all. Guess it should be corrected.

utd7

Really disappointed not because of 2 releases cause I really like Pentaceratops,but what a terrible pose and the Gorgosaurus would be fine but it just seems so uninspired. A real low point in my opinion for PAPO  :-[
We live in a Jurassic World

Atokensis

Quote from: utd7 on December 05, 2018, 10:20:44 PM
Really disappointed not because of 2 releases cause I really like Pentaceratops,but what a terrible pose and the Gorgosaurus would be fine but it just seems so uninspired. A real low point in my opinion for PAPO  :-[

Paladino mentioned that the Pentaceratops will also be able to pose on all fours like it's ramming something.

I wonder how 2 Pentaceratops ramming each other will look like.

Atokensis

Also check out these videos for thoughts on the 2019 figures by Jurassic Collectablesm, Andy's Dinosaurs, Spinodude, Killershrewfan, and more!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=EgIIAg%253D%253D&search_query=papo+2019

hao_bao

Minmiminime

There's a pic of the Gorgosaurus from another angle that popped up in the FB Dinosaur Toy Photography group, it looks great! Thank you Sue Chadwick for finding this image: https://animalkingdoms.co.nz/blogs/blog/papo-2019-new-releases
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Flaffy

Thanks for the link  ^-^

The Gorgo's tail still looks a bit short and thin in this image. Really hope it's just the angle.

Now as for that Pentaceratops... Until I see that it looks fine in a quad position, it's a likely pass for me. It's a real shame as the sculpt and paint look pretty good.

Also regarding the left front leg being raised, coincidence?

DinoToyCollector

avatar_Minmiminime @Minmiminime Thanks for the link.
From this perspective, the Gorgosaurus looks a lot more attractive to me. This is an instant buy for me.
The repaints may look pretty, but I would have liked a model rework for the three dinosaurs.

Albertosaurus

Judging by the way the toes in the Pentaceratops are positioned, it feels like it will be possible to put it in its four legs. Only the tail will be a little bit weird since it will be ponting upwards. It is a really strange pose anyways. I totally get what they were going for,, but I am not sure if it works at all. Anyways the sculpt is amazin. Beating by far anything done by Safari or Collecta and for about the same price.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Really is a shame they gave the Pentaceratops such a ridiculous pose, other than that I quite like the sculpt. Likely won't be getting anything prehistoric from them this year, their new manatee is a different story though...
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

ItsTwentyBelow

Not understanding the dislike for the Pentaceratops, as it is a beautiful model. I think it and the Gorgosaurus make an awesome pair.

It has been confirmed that the figure is designed to stand on its hind limbs or all-fours, so no one should be complaining about the pose. I personally have a strong appreciation for the rearing pose, and don't know why people are quick to call it "ridiculous". Finally a ceratopsian that breaks from the norm with an entirely plausible and dynamic pose.

Do you really think the animal would not have been capable of that range of motion in life? Pentaceratops was not an especially huge dinosaur.

Dyscrasia

Although already mentioned, another angle of the Gorgosaurus.

MLMjp

Quote from: Dyscrasia on December 06, 2018, 05:02:58 PM
Although already mentioned, another angle of the Gorgosaurus.
Much better, the pose looks really nice here, like it is squaring off to some rival or something.

I hope the Pentaceratops looks good on the quadrupedal pose.

Bokisaurus

Disappointing after this years releases, but I do really like the Penta despite it's unusual pose, kinda like this years Quetz. For me personally, I like the different pose, makes it stand out from all the other.
I have sculpted a couple of ceratopsian with a rearing pose in mind that can also be quadruped, so I have a feeling t his is the case on this one.
So far, both Collecta and Papo have shrunk their upcoming releases to just a handful :-\

Minmiminime

When I initially checked that link I was so excited about the Gorgosaurus that I didn't even notice the other angle on the Pentoceratops 😸 I wonder if they've actually deliberately photographed it upright to detract from the postural similarities with the Schleich one?😉 I love it, though! At this stage I feel a little sorry that ED is somewhat late to the party; I'm sure I read somewhere that they had information about Papo's releases but weren't allowed to share it yet. Unless there are still a couple of figures to be revealed (highly doubtful) everyone now knows this secret information! Dinosaur toy collectors always find a way 😁🦖

Shonisaurus

I really like the news of the pentaceratops and gorgosaurus of Papo 2019.

The gorgosaurus is impressive and I hope to see it in other angles to judge the position definitively. On the other hand, he is a very successful figure and his sculpture work is much higher than what he expected.

Regarding Papo's pentaceratops with that posture that I believe is unfairly criticized by members of the forum, it makes a good match with the disappeared Papo pentaceratops so that any member of the forum could make a diorama for the best landscape photography of dinosaurs that It is celebrated every year on dinotoyblog.com It is a great figure a true work of craftsmanship as are all the figures of Papo.

In relation to Collecta or Papo have reduced their figures of dinosaurs and even other species of animals such as wild or farm may be due to economic problems and to be honest because of what I read there is a likelihood of a new economic recession. The companies of prehistoric animal toys do not want to risk money with the problems of an economic crisis and want to prevent with certainty that the brand breaks and that this leads to more job losses.

On the other hand some years make the brands of toys more figures and others less and that is something normal. The artists are more inspired years and make more figures in this case of prehistoric animals and other years have less inspiration and therefore make fewer figures. There are years of skinny cows and others of fat cows in the industry in general and the same goes for the companies of dinosaurs and prehistoric toy animals.

Atokensis

Hmm.. the tail on the new Gorgosaurus image seems to be lifted higher. I hope that is the case because it looks much better now, like it's actually squaring off with something.

If you have two penta's you might be able to make them ram one another. OR make one quadrupedal, place the second one behind it and make it bipedal like they're mating?

utd7

I am slightly persuaded to like these 2 new figures a bit more knowing that the Pentaceratops (which incidentally is my favourite ceratopsid) can be displayed and the Gorgosaurus does look half decent it must be said.

But I am still a bit disappointed they are the only 2 we are getting especially considering there were rumours of a Camarasaurus and Gallimimus. PAPO must be considering doing a Giganotosaurus people have been asking for one for years now.
We live in a Jurassic World

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: