News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irritation

Quote from: Reptilia on December 23, 2018, 01:10:15 AM
Got some interesting news, and guess what? There's actually one more! Been speaking back to the person who previously told me there were six new models to be released in 2019, and asked why there's only five in the catalogue. They told me in reply that there's another one set for a release later in the year, and that it is quite a big one. I strongly suspect it is going to be part of another exclusive box set, and that we'll be getting it as a standalone release in 2020. Papo's not new to preview stuff with advance releases. Could be the Giga, eventually?
Where did you get the news from?

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Reptilia on December 23, 2018, 01:10:15 AM
Got some interesting news, and guess what? There's actually one more! Been speaking back to the person who previously told me there were six new models to be released in 2019, and asked why there's only five in the catalogue. They told me in reply that there's another one set for a release later in the year, and that it is quite a big one. I strongly suspect it is going to be part of another exclusive box set, and that we'll be getting it as a standalone release in 2020. Papo's not new to preview stuff with advance releases. Could be the Giga, eventually?

I was actually kinda glad for this year seeing as PNSO has their Giganotosaurus and Spino and Rebor has their Rex and both spinos on my list minus all the other rebor and pnso dinos that will also come in 2019.

If anything i think this is probably just a rumour. Everything Dinosaur said they had no information on anymore releases.

Reptilia

A retailer told me so, not mentioning the name because I think that technically they're not allowed to spread any info. We must wait and see.

Minmiminime

Ah-ha, I suppose a box set at the end of the year is a possibility. I wish I'd had some prescience regarding this year's, I'd have held out on the Acro if I'd known I could have got the Compy with it. If there is to be a new figure, I wonder what the extra figure packed with it will be 🤔
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Honestly, it's a simple rumor. I have proof of not now but eight years ago that a merchant told me that the company Papo at that time was not well and the production of dinosaurs was not profitable because they are very expensive figures. That same dealer predicted that Bullyland was going to abandon the production of dinosaur figures at that time sold the pachycephalosaurus and ankylosaurus of Bullyland and I see that he was not wrong.

Papo honestly do not think that it is good from the economic point of view and the figures of toy dinosaurs are not profitable.

hao_bao

Seems like some people are still going through the seven stages of grief, starting with denial.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: hao_bao on December 24, 2018, 01:12:58 PM
Seems like some people are still going through the seven stages of grief, starting with denial.

It is better in my case when it comes to the collection of dinosaurs be pessimistic than optimistic. It is better to go in life with the idea of "no" so that in this way you do not take unpleasant surprises and that they can be frustrating, then if it happens that the news or positive hope is true so much better. Although I say that hope is the last thing that is lost and there is nothing impossible in the dinosaur brands I doubt that they will make more Papo dinosaur figures until 2020 or the end of 2019 as the first Christmas. I apologize to the members of DTF for my words that may be wrong but that is what they told me in a store in their day and I may be wrong.

GojiraGuy1954

I really like the new Gorgosaurus, I hope they do more Tyrannosaurids in 2020
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

suspsy

Quote from: hao_bao on December 24, 2018, 01:12:58 PM

Seems to me we shouldn't take rumours at face value. Sure, it's always *possible* that Papo is shutting down their prehistoric line, but until I see some official word on the matter, I'm not going to start fretting. Nor should anyone else.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CityRaptor

Well, we are getting some new figures this year, aren't we?

And in case of Bullyland, it is more like they are moving more towards their licenses. Seriously, like half of the Bullyland catalogue is licenses, especially Disney.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

Papo almost doubled up their prehistoric line in the last three years, and I don't think the 2019 collection denotes any sign of commercial demise either.

suspsy

Everything Dinosaur has posted a video on Facebook showing the 2019 catalog. Definitely not anything else in store for this year.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Syndicate Bias

Guess that Giganotosaurus is definitely gonna be a 2030 release  ^-^

Libraraptor

Why in the world does Papo release repaints ? Sooo boring.  But the Gorgosaurus looks great.  And the hind leg Pentaceratops -albeit it probably was impossible for it to rise up this way- is great, too.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 04, 2019, 10:39:34 PM
Why in the world does Papo release repaints ? Sooo boring.  But the Gorgosaurus looks great.  And the hind leg Pentaceratops -albeit it probably was impossible for it to rise up this way- is great, too.
Honestly, I disagree.  I think the Allosaurus needed a repaint.  New releases have been shown to have a much more subdued color scheme that it originally did, so I think this new, vibrant coloration is well done.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

stargatedalek

It looks to me like the Pentaceratops toes are angled upwards from its feet in a way that would let it stand well on all fours.

Libraraptor

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on January 05, 2019, 01:11:20 AM
Quote from: Libraraptor on January 04, 2019, 10:39:34 PM
Honestly, I disagree.  I think the Allosaurus needed a repaint.  New releases have been shown to have a much more subdued color scheme that it originally did, so I think this new, vibrant coloration is well done.

Maybe if I saw the Allosaurus repaint in Person, I´ll change my mind. It´s probably, because I dislike Schleich doing so many repaints, too, and I am afraid Papo does the same due to a lack of good new ideas. It could also be that they made far too many of the Allosaurus sculpts and didn´t sell them yet, so they pimp them via repaint.

Minmiminime

I'm intrigued to see production shots of the Pentaceratops because it really doesn't look like it's designed to be a tripod 🤔 After all, that other oddity the Baryonyx doesn't look anything like the production photos, and not just because the paint is so much worse 😉 Mine's very much a biped, not a tripod, so promotional pics can be misleading
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

BRONSON

To be honest I dont mind repaints, I am really choosy when buying something, and especially as I prefer to buy the high end stuff I like it it be perfect (for me) I quite like Rebors way of bringing out 3 different colours EG the WarPig, I like the plain, love the mountain, but dont like the forest scheme of paint, another worrying thing to take into account is behind the scenes problems, the company might not be able to afford new moulds, these things cost an absolute fortune to make (I worked for a firm decades ago that moulded plastic items and used to look after the machinery)  and thats not including paying someone to sculpt something, if they had a bad year, and we must admit the economy aint great worldwide with many businesses closing down, then offering a repaint might be a more cost effect way of keeping the company going, only a guess.
I dont like the look of the Pentaceratops model, it looks like someones put a cowbrand on its bum.

Reptilia

I believe the Pentaceratops is designed to balance on three legs, with one of the forelimbs raised up. They've put it in this tripod rearing pose because it's the best way to properly display the head sculpt in a promo shot, in the natural position the head would be down, like the animal is charging a rival.

I don't mind whatever stance you put the figure in though, it is an amazing piece, sculpt is top and the paint scheme beautiful and naturalistic. I love the Papo Styracosaurus, an incredibly underrated figure in my opinion, and this one makes a perfect pair with it, going even further in detail and craftsmanship.

The Gorgosaurus I think is ok, not outstanding as other recent Papo theropods but still a good looking model. These two are sure purchases for me.

I might get the brown running rex, I have to see how the actual production pieces turn out, but honestly I'm a bit tired of this sculpt by now. Had Papo released it in 2016, in place of that hideous rainbow version, I would have been very excited to get one, now I feel it's just a maybe.

I really don't care for the other two repaints, albeit both pretty nice. Agree that the Allosaurus needed a makeover, considering how bad the actual production piece became in the years, but I won't be getting it, nor the Stegosaurus. Perfectly happy with my original versions.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: