News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey

I mean, I may be the only person, but uh, I dont know guys...I mean the color scheme is nice and the head sculpt is really good but, the arms in my opinion, are in a pretty awkward position and the sail is also a little too thin to me like in my mind it should be more of a hump, but not like a camels' hump, more of an inbetween a real hump and a sail. Honestly, the biggest offender...is the fact is has a fricken fish tail! Ok..ok..its not really a "fish tail" but more of what an outdated Mosasaur tail looked like.

DragonRider02

HOLY..!! THAT IS ONE GORGEROUS SPINO! The colors, the details... Just WOW! It seems to be big, so probably will be expensive... Damn it, my wallet wasn't prepared for such surprise!

Also, whatever the limited edition means, I hope it Will be avaiable on ED or Urzeitshop.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 31, 2019, 09:35:08 PM
Quote from: paintingdinos on January 31, 2019, 09:21:02 PM
What does limited edition mean in regards to Papo? Will it have limited distribution, or just be available for a limited amount of time? Both?

Who would have known that Papo would release a Spinosaurus that is superior to that WS, REBOR, PNSO, CollectA, Favorite and Schleich....where are the haters now.
Since I was summoned  ;)

I still think the REBOR one looks the best personally by a large margin, followed by Wild Safari, then closely by this new Papo. And in regards to accuracy, well, it does just about every thing it shouldn't have done (not that PNSO's, Favorite's, and CollectA's don't have all the same issues and, imo, look much less pleasant).

Meanwhile, I don't understand all the hate for the Gorgosaurus and Pentaceratops. Gorgosaurus is based on the WWD version, and while I wish it had that iridescent colourscheme the movie did, it's a quite faithful rendition even despite that.

And both of them overcame the accusations of strange poses with flying colours, with photos now showing Gorgosaurus can stand without its tail, and Pentaceratops has its toes bent so it can be posed standing normally on the ground.

BRONSON

Quote from: MLMjp on January 31, 2019, 09:21:42 PM
That´s it. I found the perfect Spinosaurus....

WHAT?!
LIMITED EDITION? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??  :-\

It means £££ for the company  ;)

Jose S.M.

I love everything but that arm sticking out like that. Papo and their awkward action poses  ::), still it looks great and it would've been my Spinosaurus of choice but that "limited edition" worries me, it would be expensive and probably hard to find in my side of the ocean. I'm decided on the Penta, looks great and leaning on  more horizontal position would look better (even if the tail will be pointing up a bit much).

Syndicate Bias

I apologise in advance for I will be buying two of these. Whoever it is that goes without one I'm deeply sorry

Syndicate Bias

Honestly I'm still getting the PNSO one. I am glad that Papo made one. Now if only they made a Giganotosaurus they would easily take the spot as #1.

Still disappointed with the other releases but glad everyone now gets a chance at the other papos without worrying about paint quality

Shonisaurus

We have to recognize that the pioneer of this saga of scientific spinosaurus that has culminated perhaps with the best figure of spinosaurus (the spinosaurus of Papo) has been the Collecta brand that was awarded by Prehistoric Times (still need to verify PNSO and Rebor) although perhaps I give my arm to twist this wonder of the paleoesculpture that is the spinosaurus of Papo (and sorry for other brands).

But the limited edition I suppose will be sold only in online stores, as happened with the tyrannosaurus running brown. For this figure would pay a good sum of money the case is where you can buy such wonder.

Unfortunately, Papo's gorgosaurus is perhaps the weakest figure of this trio of dinosaurs. In size and in sculptural genius without that that it is magnificent and cool.

MLMjp

I don't care how much it cost me honestly (As long as I don't have to pay an excessive amount of money), but I need to get my hands on it. It will probably one of the few (if not the only) dinosaur from a regular company that I will get for this year. (Too busy with Jurassic World toys ::))

I think I know how this is going to play out. Do you remember the rainbow standing T.rex and the rainbow Velociraptor from a couple of years ago? If I recall correctly, those were a limited edition but I believe there were sold later on online stores.

Also to point out, basically every major company now has a Spinosaurus based on the latest reconstruction. CollectA was the first one in 2015, then Favorite in 2017, and now for 2019, Safari, Schleich and Papo are making one. Not too sure about the one by REBOR because knowing them that one could be released in about 10 years. :P And in my opinion Papo is the best of them, the size, the colors, the detail. It may have some issues with the posture and the arms but honestly, I don't care.

LeapingLaelaps

Shonisaurus

Surely it will be put on sale in online stores like everythingdinosaur, minizoo and shop.modellpferdeversand.de to put three examples. I hope they are also sold on urzeitshop.de.

It is a beautiful spinosaurus to be able to more and sincerely this year they are surpassing all the marks in genius and Papo is not an exception. We are honestly fixing the different dinosaur brands of our opinions in the forums and in many cases they are paying attention to us.  8)

I hope a Papo giganotosaurus in 2020 or the end of 2019. Sincerely Papo has surpassed all dinosaur toy brands but sincerely if Collecta's spinosaurus has been awarded as the best figure by Prehistoric Times it will be for something, and we must value it as a pioneer in the new figures of spinosaurus based on new discoveries.

I did not expect that in this year Papo made new figures, beyond their repainted and the gorgosaurus and pentaceratops (by the way the two magnificent figures) although the gorgosaurus is in the background this year from my point of view.

Patrx

It's kinda neat! I like the tail. But, the pose doesn't work for me; I'll be sticking with the swimming CollectA.

tanystropheus

What's up with this awful trend of LE Spinosaurus [e.g. Mattel (worst offender) + Papo]? Isn't Spino the second most popular dinosaur after T-rex? (e.g. T-rex, Spino, Triceratops, Giga, Stegosaurus)

Shonisaurus

I pass a video of the spinosaurus of Papo 2019 where you can see the pentaceratops (with an acceptable size) and the gorgosaurus of Papo 2019 the latter remains standing and its size is similar to its carnotaurus of the same brand. This video is from Andy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0wXW7HYEB8

PhilSauria

Quote from: MLMjp on January 31, 2019, 10:57:22 PM
I don't care how much it cost me honestly (As long as I don't have to pay an excessive amount of money), but I need to get my hands on it. It will probably one of the few (if not the only) dinosaur from a regular company that I will get for this year. (Too busy with Jurassic World toys ::))

I think I know how this is going to play out. Do you remember the rainbow standing T.rex and the rainbow Velociraptor from a couple of years ago? If I recall correctly, those were a limited edition but I believe there were sold later on online stores.

Also to point out, basically every major company now has a Spinosaurus based on the latest reconstruction. CollectA was the first one in 2015, then Favorite in 2017, and now for 2019, Safari, Schleich and Papo are making one. Not too sure about the one by REBOR because knowing them that one could be released in about 10 years. :P And in my opinion Papo is the best of them, the size, the colors, the detail. It may have some issues with the posture and the arms but honestly, I don't care.

Agree with you on that last line and a great capsule summation on the history of 'modern' Spinosaurus. Call me a heretic but in terms of paleo figures I am willing to trade scientific accuracy for artistic license (up to a point I might add) if something looks this good as a result!

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 31, 2019, 10:08:11 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on January 31, 2019, 09:35:08 PM
Quote from: paintingdinos on January 31, 2019, 09:21:02 PM
What does limited edition mean in regards to Papo? Will it have limited distribution, or just be available for a limited amount of time? Both?

Who would have known that Papo would release a Spinosaurus that is superior to that WS, REBOR, PNSO, CollectA, Favorite and Schleich....where are the haters now.
Since I was summoned  ;)

I still think the REBOR one looks the best personally by a large margin, followed by Wild Safari, then closely by this new Papo. And in regards to accuracy, well, it does just about every thing it shouldn't have done (not that PNSO's, Favorite's, and CollectA's don't have all the same issues and, imo, look much less pleasant).

Meanwhile, I don't understand all the hate for the Gorgosaurus and Pentaceratops. Gorgosaurus is based on the WWD version, and while I wish it had that iridescent colourscheme the movie did, it's a quite faithful rendition even despite that.

And both of them overcame the accusations of strange poses with flying colours, with photos now showing Gorgosaurus can stand without its tail, and Pentaceratops has its toes bent so it can be posed standing normally on the ground.

Haha  :)

What are your thoughts for the Papo Spinosaurus as seen from the other angle (as revealed in the above video)? I think the proportions look a bit more accurate there.

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 31, 2019, 11:36:48 PM
What's up with this awful trend of LE Spinosaurus [e.g. Mattel (worst offender) + Papo]? Isn't Spino the second most popular dinosaur after T-rex? (e.g. T-rex, Spino, Triceratops, Giga, Stegosaurus)

Definitely not. Velociraptor enjoys second place after T. rex, with Triceratops in third.

I'm happy for all the people who are super excited over this new Papo version, but me, I'll be sticking with Paddles and Waddles, my two from CollectA.  :)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Syndicate Bias

Giga isn't up there lol.

It's always T Rex, Velociraptor, spinosaurus, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus, and Pteranodon.

canadian

Oh, how come there is another one? I just bought the Schleich spino.

Renecito

Awesome Spino indeed!! I really love the head sculpt and color!!! It is not in the catalog which means limited for sure!!!
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: