News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: japfeif on February 26, 2019, 02:12:46 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 25, 2019, 05:49:00 PM
Much better picture.   Yeah I can deal with osteoderms, but I have an Xacto that will fix that tail.. ;)

I actually had been thinking that ever since I first saw the promo pic of the Spino....I wonder if those who are really bothered by the tail fin (it actually DOES look a bit wonky!) could just carefully trim it off, at least near the tip and the underside...and then touch up with paint. I'd be afraid to try but some ambitious folks might!

Won't bother me to do it unless it ends up being really valuable.   It just really stands out as an obvious flaw to me, like putting rabbit ears on a hypsilophodon, yeah maybe they could have had them but they likely wouldn't look exactlylike a rabbit's.  This tail is very obviously belongs to a fish. I could see Spinosaurus having a keeled or oar-like tail but it should look like a natural extension of the animal, not  a grafted on addition. That was part of my initial complaint, I could see the detail of it in one shot.

kreativtek

Apparently it will come in some sort of collector's box. To bad we have no details on the price yet. Shop from the source link also promises to have the figure in stock in June.

Source: https://www.la-boutique-du-dinosaure.com/jouet-dinosaure-rebor/PAPO-DINOSAURES-c30661148

Syndicate Bias

I'm gonna have to take two. One for collection and one for repaint  ^-^

Silvanusaurus

I think the angle in this newest image makes it look a little better, it definitely needs to be posed with the arms away from the ground for it to make sense. I'm very tempted to get one to try and re-position the arms to look more natural, like I did with the Baryonyx. But I might just wait for the inevitable standard edition to be released.

Atokensis

Hmm I wonder if the box set is limited edition (meaning spino without box set for 2020 like with the juvenile spino/cerato) or the Spinosaurus figure itself (meaning no more spino figures once out of production).

Also I see the main thread is updated, looks fantastic!

Shonisaurus

I have preordered two one in www.everythingdinosaur.co.uk and another one in urzeitshop.de I will buy the two figures in this case I am left with two spinosaurus one the original one and the other one for repainting. Sincerely Miron told me that Papo's spinosaurus from 2019 limited version will cost more or less like the current spinosaurus based on JP. For what I think it will be at an affordable price for everyone who is interested in this figure.

For me one of the best figures of dinosaurs of 2019 although there are figures of Collecta, Safari, Papo (pentaceratops), PNSO, Schleich, Eofauna, Nanmu Studio, Mojo (dunkleosteus and triceratops) and Favorite that deserve a similar rating. This year is one of the best years in terms of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals surely influenced by the previous year's premiere of JW "The Fallen Kingdom".

Mironimus

I received an answer from Papo.
My account manager told me that a release date in June is unrealistic. The info that the Spinosaurus will be released in June is not from Papo.
He also told me that this Spinosaurus is bigger ergo pricier.

Urzeitshop - dinosaur online shop from germany
https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/
Telegram: t.me/urzeitshop
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Urzeitshop

Minmiminime

Oh well, we'll just have to be patient! Thank you for this information avatar_Mironimus @Mironimus 😊
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Syndicate Bias

Dang, I guess I should expect $60 price tag on it then

Sim

I haven't commented on the discussion in this thread concerning crocodilian-like tail scales in Spinosaurus.  I'm going to now, as I feel the need to say, I don't think tail scales similar to a crocodilian's is implausible.  Tail scales similar to a crocodilian's are known to be present in Litorosuchus, which is a Triassic reptile that isn't a crocodilian-line archosaur.  Additionally, Litorosuchus has qualities that appear to be a lot like Spinosaurus, such as being a carnivore found in the water of a coastal environment, and the jaws of Litorosuchus also look similar to those of Spinosaurus.

There are also extant lizards that spend time in water which have tail scales that have some similarity to a crocodilian's, e.g. in a marine iguana.  I'm not suggesting crocodilian-like tail scales are most likely for Spinosaurus.  I think they are one possibility that doesn't seem unreasonable, to me.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on February 26, 2019, 10:48:38 PM
I haven't commented on the discussion in this thread concerning crocodilian-like tail scales in Spinosaurus.  I'm going to now, as I feel the need to say, I don't think tail scales similar to a crocodilian's is implausible.  Tail scales similar to a crocodilian's are known to be present in Litorosuchus, which is a Triassic reptile that isn't a crocodilian-line archosaur.  Additionally, Litorosuchus has qualities that appear to be a lot like Spinosaurus, such as being a carnivore found in the water of a coastal environment, and the jaws of Litorosuchus also look similar to those of Spinosaurus.

There are also extant lizards that spend time in water which have tail scales that have some similarity to a crocodilian's, e.g. in a marine iguana.  I'm not suggesting crocodilian-like tail scales are most likely for Spinosaurus.  I think they are one possibility that doesn't seem unreasonable, to me.

fully agree and I'm not even a fan of the crocodile scales

Reptilia

No big deal if the figure takes longer than june to be released, as far as I'm concerned. It'd be actually better, as I would have more time to collect the other two novelties and maybe a few older ones that I still miss in the collection.

Nice makeover on the first post! If the Allosaurus was as vibrant as the picture there I could be tempted to pick one up, despite my previous claims. But since colours are usually far duller on the actual figures I think I will easily live up to my words.

Ceratosaurus

I contacted ED regarding the release date and the possibility of it being pushed back til October.

Here is the response:
"We know that Urzeitshop in Germany have made this statement, all we can say is that in conversations with the senior management of Papo some time ago and with the owner of the company last month, they were talking about June.  Personally, I would expect some delays, on the production of this figure, but at no time was the Papo Spinosaurus proposed as being the Christmas gift box set, which is what an October delivery would effectively mean."
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Shonisaurus

You can be sure both everythingdinosaur.co.uk and urzeitshop.de that I will buy both figures from their respective stores, I have ordered them and I am a man of my word. One I will use for my collection and put on my shelves and another to repaint with hyperrealistic colors even more than the original figure, same contract to Martin Garratt.

In any case, my greatest wish is that Papo's spinosaurus is commercialized as soon as it is a long-awaited figure.

ITdactyl

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , if the tail extensions had been fleshy lobes (ala newts) instead of obvious ray-fins, would you have forgiven this trespass?*

*I meant that in jest of course.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ITdactyl on February 27, 2019, 10:11:25 AM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , if the tail extensions had been fleshy lobes (ala newts) instead of obvious ray-fins, would you have forgiven this trespass?*

It would be far less of an affront to the senses that's for sure ;)

In all seriousness the flattened tail without the fish fins would have been fine.  A sea snake, salamander, ect.. would all have been a closer match to me than a fish.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 27, 2019, 02:26:35 PM
Quote from: ITdactyl on February 27, 2019, 10:11:25 AM

It would be far less of an affront to the senses that's for sure ;)

In all seriousness the flattened tail without the fish fins would have been fine.  A sea snake, salamander, ect.. would all have been a closer match to me than a fish.

hmm...maybe this particular Spino developed an adaptation (e.g. as bait) on its tail for luring in other larger fish....

stargatedalek

Unfortunately your suspicions were indeed correct. It almost looks like a bunch of little spines pressed against each other rather than a natural looking tail. Shame they didn't just make it flat or wrinkled like an eel or a salamander.

Melekh

Is this figure meant to represent a spinosaurus swimming in shallow water?
I find it very odd how he wants to bear his mass only on his claws.

Minmiminime

I think so...it certainly looks like it's punting along a bit like a hippo to me ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: