News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Yes, I also believe it's going to be on sale pretty much everywhere.

Minmiminime

I'm so glad this is going to be such a well distributed item, I hate it when dinosaur toys are so hard to get because some company has "exclusive rights" or other weird reasons (ahem, Mattel, ahem). I do wonder what the nature of it's "limited edition" status will be; maybe they'll just produce it for a year or something, then completely retire it
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

PhilSauria

Totally agree!, especially in regard to Mattel. Looking forward to getting my hands on that Papo Spinosaurus!

Back in the day if you were a collector you'd be none the wiser in regard to what may be happening on the other side of the world but now, thanks to the internet, you know exactly what you're missing out on! (I know things can also be ordered online also thanks to the internet but I've been over this ground too many times to repeat myself again).

stargatedalek

Compared to their competitors like Hasbro or Funko Mattel's handling of exclusives is practically praise worthy. Only a handful of sculpts were only in exclusive lines, they were comprised almost entirely of repaints. Meanwhile there are companies releasing highly requested figures only at conventions or with pre-orders, and other similar nonsense.

The reason people are upset over the Papo Spinosaurus being a limited edition is because it's something abnormal for Papo, it isn't their usual business plan. For Mattel, exclusive lines are just a normal aspect of the market they sell in, it may even be fair to say it's integral in remaining competitive, when box stores are so often only interested in things they can market as exclusives.

Whereas the Papo Spinosaurus is limited because? Because Papo wants to release it later in another colour they think will sell better but had this one ready to go? Because Papo doesn't want it to compete with their JP Spino? Because they plan on selling the extra stock at a later date for inflated scalper prices like the brown rex? There simply is no sensible reason for it.

Ceratosaurus

Most likely it's limited simply as a marketing strategy to sell more figures. I believe it will be rereleased with a different paint scheme and/or minor tweaks to the sculpt. Maybe some will get their wish and the tail will be altered to be more standard looking.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

stegosauria

Maybe Papo just saw that Schleich and Safari also released a quadruped Spinosaurus and both of them quite good for the Ibrahim reconstruction so they did something for a little hype- and that's actually works pretty well because everybody talks about this figure for a month.

And just for a side note- there's a few comment on the forum that it's hard to imagine these quadruped Spinosaurus figures on land and in the water too. Somebody even suggested that it was like a hippo- don't know if it was a joke or not but for a hippolike life it needs strong hindlegs to walk on land and on the bottom of lakes and rivers. And it has to pushes itself upward from the bottom to the surface for fresh air (and we talking about an animal that weighs a few tons). Sorry but I just can't imagine all that with those puny hindleg bones in Imbrahim's reconstruction.

So shortly if no sculptor can do a believable pose for this reconstruction probably there's something wrong with that reconstruction and not with the sculptors. Just like even the best chef can't make good dishes without good ingredients.

Otherwise the head and the sail looks really cool but it would need strong longer legs (that's my personal opinion).

Shonisaurus

It does not have to be a retouched (tail change) or painted figure in the future. Papo's spinosaurus painting (limited edition) is extraordinarily good, it does not have to change its painting and the sculpture is perfect for me, the tail I do not think that they change it despite its eel aspect. As it is said is a sales strategy, marketing if sold well then said figure will be marketed more widely.

Papo is a company that does not want to risk money. Keep in mind that this figure measures 40 centimeters and will be solid PVC. The cost of this figure is high and they are aware that they may fail not because of the quality and beauty of the figure but because of the price due to the enormous size. On the other hand, they have had a bad experience with brachiosaurus of the same brand (the last big solid PVC sauropod made to date except Safari) and do not want to risk. There are many jobs that could be in danger and I am aware and one hundred percent understanding, as I am with Rebor. The mold of a figure costs a lot of money, more if it is large and I am aware that the dinosaur companies or other figures do not want for the sake of their employees to risk money, toy dinosaur companies can not be at the orders of the buyers or the whims of the buyers and unknowingly risk their money.

stargatedalek

Quote from: stegosauria on March 04, 2019, 10:21:52 AM
And just for a side note- there's a few comment on the forum that it's hard to imagine these quadruped Spinosaurus figures on land and in the water too. Somebody even suggested that it was like a hippo- don't know if it was a joke or not but for a hippolike life it needs strong hindlegs to walk on land and on the bottom of lakes and rivers. And it has to pushes itself upward from the bottom to the surface for fresh air (and we talking about an animal that weighs a few tons). Sorry but I just can't imagine all that with those puny hindleg bones in Imbrahim's reconstruction.

So shortly if no sculptor can do a believable pose for this reconstruction probably there's something wrong with that reconstruction and not with the sculptors. Just like even the best chef can't make good dishes without good ingredients.

Otherwise the head and the sail looks really cool but it would need strong longer legs (that's my personal opinion).
When people say it moved like a hippopotamus they mean in the manner it walked along the bottom of the water, but turtles are just as good of an analogy. Spinosaurus legs have atrophied muscles for supporting weight, and have very strong pushing muscles. Much of the initial speculation for this was focused on the idea of them punting underwater like hippos, but has more recently come into question as potentially being paddling on the surface like birds.

Despite its unusually solid bones there is a lot of evidence that Spinosaurus floated, even isotope analyses show that it specifically held its head out of water for a majority of time, with the body showing the opposite.

Despite the initial backlash, further analyses of the bones have came back with the same leg sizes, and those of the new baby specimen as well have evidence of similar padding/webbing.
http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/smallest-spinosaurus-06052.html

No sculptor has "managed" to do a perfectly natural looking pose because most of them ended up being based on one particular reconstruction or another, and they were dated because they were either made in the immediate "aftermath" of the news before further analyses, or because they were made in deliberate attempt to "undo" the reconstruction and stretch as far from the idea of quadrupedal Spinosaurus as was plausible, which naturally makes them at high risk of becoming outdated. And all of the swimming Spinosaurus are in dramatic poses which of course don't look all that natural.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 04, 2019, 12:31:07 PM
It does not have to be a retouched (tail change) or painted figure in the future. Papo's spinosaurus painting (limited edition) is extraordinarily good, it does not have to change its painting and the sculpture is perfect for me, the tail I do not think that they change it despite its eel aspect. As it is said is a sales strategy, marketing if sold well then said figure will be marketed more widely.

Papo is a company that does not want to risk money. Keep in mind that this figure measures 40 centimeters and will be solid PVC. The cost of this figure is high and they are aware that they may fail not because of the quality and beauty of the figure but because of the price due to the enormous size. On the other hand, they have had a bad experience with brachiosaurus of the same brand (the last big solid PVC sauropod made to date except Safari) and do not want to risk. There are many jobs that could be in danger and I am aware and one hundred percent understanding, as I am with Rebor. The mold of a figure costs a lot of money, more if it is large and I am aware that the dinosaur companies or other figures do not want for the sake of their employees to risk money, toy dinosaur companies can not be at the orders of the buyers or the whims of the buyers and unknowingly risk their money.
I fail to see how the Brachiosaurus was a "bad experience". It sold quite well and continues to do decent sales.

Reptilia

There's no rational reason for Papo to retire this sculpt after a one-off production run. It'd be like saying "ok, we give up to make more money for the sake of having a limited item!", you can all understand it makes no commercial sense. This Spinosaurus figure will surely be back in another guise, i.e. a different colour scheme, most likely next december among the 2020 novelties. If you pay close attention Papo already did it with the Acrocanthosaurus. They released the 2017 version and discontinued it just a few months later, only to replace it with a superior repaint. The difference is that this time they are telling us that we're getting a limited edition first.

Shonisaurus

R @Reptilia And what I guess or rather I guess is that this "limited version" over the years will be reissued as has happened with the brown rex tyrannosaurus running at a more affordable price.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Reptilia on March 05, 2019, 08:09:27 PM
There's no rational reason for Papo to retire this sculpt after a one-off production run. It'd be like saying "ok, we give up to make more money for the sake of having a limited item!", you can all understand it makes no commercial sense. This Spinosaurus figure will surely be back in another guise, i.e. a different colour scheme, most likely next december among the 2020 novelties. If you pay close attention Papo already did it with the Acrocanthosaurus. They released the 2017 version and discontinued it just a few months later, only to replace it with a superior repaint. The difference is that this time they are telling us that we're getting a limited edition first.

What your saying makes sense..but a lot of other businesses do make limited edition pieces and it's profitable. Stating it is limited edition upfront pretty much guarantees them larger sales. So if they do make a limited run then they are betting it will sell out and they will make enough to be happy with doing so.  I'm not saying it will be that way, but it is possible..and who wants to be left out if it does go down like that?

Reptilia

You might be right Blade, sure I don't want to take the risk and that's why I reserved one. But something tells me I'm going to end up buying this figure twice, like I did with the Acro! Still have to get rid of the rainbow one.

Syndicate Bias

I may have to halt spending on other resin kits for now. I have a feeling getting two of them will be in the low 100s based on what paladinos has said their Max price might be.

120-130 maximum but might be lower for two plus shipping which might be around 40 for me. So I hope not but it's looking expensive for two papos

Reptilia

First review of the 2019 BRR, and it does look beautiful! I think I won't be able to resist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXTwnb1x6B0

Is it just an impression or they actually fixed the figure's stability issues by inclining it more on one side?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Reptilia on March 05, 2019, 08:40:45 PM
You might be right Blade, sure I don't want to take the risk and that's why I reserved one. But something tells me I'm going to end up buying this figure twice, like I did with the Acro! Still have to get rid of the rainbow one.

I feel your pain bud

stegosauria

If I were you I would keep the rainbow Acrocanthosaurus for a while. If now probably isn't sought after but 5-10 years later it will be just like the first grey Carnegie figures.

Shonisaurus

When twenty years pass I am sure that the acrocanthosaurus rainbow of Papo will be a rare figure like the dinosaurs of Battat, the lambeosaurus of Invicta and the prehistoric animals of Play Visions.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: stegosauria on March 06, 2019, 09:16:35 AM

If I were you I would keep the rainbow Acrocanthosaurus for a while. If now probably isn't sought after but 5-10 years later it will be just like the first grey Carnegie figures.

Give me the acro I'll sell it for 5 times it's price in 30 years  ;)

dragon53

30 years?......that long for the Rainbow Acrocanthosaurus to be worth reselling?

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: dragon53 on March 06, 2019, 03:16:40 PM
30 years?......that long for the Rainbow Acrocanthosaurus to be worth reselling?

The longer the better

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: